Amazing Low Level Fly Over CA's Sierra Nevada Snow Pack

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Amazing Low Level Fly Over CA's Sierra Nevada Snow Pack

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:58 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 pm
Rusty wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:32 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 pm
Good to see so much interest in the phenomenal Sierra Nevada snow pack. Last I checked there were nearly 300 views of this topic.
Folks here are anticipating an intervention, Goose.
As you can see from the content of posts, snow pack is as interesting as contour integration to most of them.
Or, in other words, correlation doesn't equal causation, old top.
Oh c'mon "those poor earthen antiquated levees in the north state, getting so saturated" really pull the heart strings even though they're intended to be wet, even sodden, and have been wet and sodden for most of 50 years. Nobody ever thinks about the earth. How much can they can take? For that matter there is a much bigger problem... we should be worrying about the poor wet sodden containment of the Pacific Ocean. Can you imagine if that got loose? And we've yet to about earthen levees and theodicy.
True, but I'm enjoying the discussion about earthen levees and idiocy. Earth is supposed to be dry when it contains water, Mister.
Those levees in Northern CA have been dry for a long time, because of the drought. So its anybody's guess how such sudden, and thorough, and constant hydration is affecting them. Or, most importantly, what the pressure of 200 plus % snow pack will do to them. Have you been to N CA, to see just how many housing developments were somehow permitted by idiots to be built in flood plains?
Do you have any walnuts?
Oh, yes, I do and I love them. The big Kirkland bags I buy at Costco, are grown in CA, and with lots of irrigation. CA receives no rain at all from about April through Oct, so the Walnut groves benefit from the CA Water Project.

Of course, all those walnuts and almonds and ga-zillions of people need water, and more and more and more of it. Be nice to see more desalination plants down there in La-La land, so they are not so dependent on Northern CA reservoirs to hose off their drive ways

We are lucky or more true, blessed here. Monsoon rains run through the arroyos, north, and fill several deep wells, and an underground river about 5 miles north. Communities in West Phoenix have actually tried to strong arm us out of our water. We're blessed to not need a Lake Oroville.
I wasn't talking about English walnuts, but American Black Walnuts. Do you like American Black Walnuts.
The Costco Kirkland Walnuts I buy just say "walnuts." Not sure if I ever had a black walnut
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Good to see so much interest in the phenomenal Sierra Nevada snow pack. Last I checked there were nearly 300 views of this topic.
As you can see from the content of posts, snow pack is as interesting as contour integration to most of them.
Oh c'mon "those poor earthen antiquated levees in the north state, getting so saturated" really pull the heart strings even though they're intended to be wet, even sodden, and have been wet and sodden for most of 50 years. Nobody ever thinks about the earth. How much can they can take? For that matter there is a much bigger problem... we should be worrying about the poor wet sodden containment of the Pacific Ocean. Can you imagine if that got loose? And we've yet to about earthen levees and theodicy.
True, but I'm enjoying the discussion about earthen levees and idiocy. Earth is supposed to be dry when it contains water, Mister.
Those levees in Northern CA have been dry for a long time, because of the drought. So its anybody's guess how such sudden, and thorough, and constant hydration is affecting them. Or, most importantly, what the pressure of 200 plus % snow pack will do to them. Have you been to N CA, to see just how many housing developments were somehow permitted by idiots to be built in flood plains?
That's natural selection - people who build on flood plains. What do you think comprises the earthen levees?

When does the snow pack normally melt during the year?
Depends on the season. "Normal," would be 100% of average snow pack, and at certain elevations, maybe 7,000 to 12,000 feet. In years like that, snow would melt gradually through the spring and summer. Some of the snow above 9,000, 10,000 feet could remain.

But in some years with cold storms it snows down to 3,000 feet, and that can be problematic if an upcoming storm would be much warmer, melting that snow.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Levees can fail for a variety of reasons, but usually in California they get perforated by ground squirrels and sometimes cracked from plate movements (once, about 30 years ago, the vibrations from freight trains defeated a levee!) When I worked along side the State OES in the 90's there was a lot of concern over the levees surrounding Sacramento giving up.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Do you have any walnuts?
Oh, yes, I do and I love them. The big Kirkland bags I buy at Costco, are grown in CA, and with lots of irrigation. CA receives no rain at all from about April through Oct, so the Walnut groves benefit from the CA Water Project.

Of course, all those walnuts and almonds and ga-zillions of people need water, and more and more and more of it. Be nice to see more desalination plants down there in La-La land, so they are not so dependent on Northern CA reservoirs to hose off their drive ways

We are lucky or more true, blessed here. Monsoon rains run through the arroyos, north, and fill several deep wells, and an underground river about 5 miles north. Communities in West Phoenix have actually tried to strong arm us out of our water. We're blessed to not need a Lake Oroville.
I wasn't talking about English walnuts, but American Black Walnuts. Do you like American Black Walnuts.
The Costco Kirkland Walnuts I buy just say "walnuts." Not sure if I ever had a black walnut
Those at Costco aren't black walnuts but most likely Chandler or Hartley grown on black walnut rootstock.
Black Walnuts grow like weeds around here if left unchecked, and are boogers to abate. Very tasty little nuts in rock hard shells ,so commercially they're not very feasible. The wood is delightful to work with though.
Try a scoop of Black Walnut ice cream if you want to know what they taste like---it'll be easier on your chops!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Do you have any walnuts?

I've always been called Paulie. When that stupid show came out, everybody started calling me Paulie Walnuts. I objected. Now my longterm friends call me Walnuts.

You can't call me Walnuts, Goose.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:42 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
[quote=Goose55 post_id=1123291 time=1487877993 user_id=2947]
Do you have any walnuts?

I've always been called Paulie. When that stupid show came out, everybody started calling me Paulie Walnuts. I objected. Now my longterm friends call me Walnuts.

You can't call me Walnuts, Goose.
[/quote]

I will comply.

I am pleased that my Sierra Nevada snow pack low level fly over is getting so much air time. I love the accompanying music on the vid.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Fou. Vous êtes completement fou.

https://youtu.be/13o1i-cgTOA

Nuts, I tells ya.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Nuts, I tells ya.
French women are charming, but the hairy legs and armpits are an aversion to me. Is she preparing to do a low level fly over of the Sierra Nevada snow pack on that giant corn on the cob?

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 pm
hugodrax wrote:

Nuts, I tells ya.
French women are charming, but the hairy legs and armpits are an aversion to me. Is she preparing to do a low level fly over of the Sierra Nevada snow pack on that giant corn on the cob?
Wow. I was really expecting you to be able to tell me what that was all about.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Nuts, I tells ya.
"completement fou" is French for completely crazy.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm
I am pleased that my Sierra Nevada snow pack low level fly over is getting so much air time. I love the accompanying music on the vid.
What the hell makes you think anyone's looking at your original post?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Nuts, I tells ya.
"completement fou" is French for completely crazy.
Yes. I know that. Now, shall we follow this to its logical conclusion?

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:56 pm

[*]
Skip wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm
What the hell makes you think anyone's looking at your original post?
Parce qu'il est completement fou? C'est vrai, n'est pas?

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 am

Interesting presentation on the CA Sierra Nevada snow pack as of March 3rd. Before another 5 feet fell above 5000 feet. At one point in the presentation he mentions scientists don' even have instruments to measure the snow depth now, it is so enormous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpKB20Giflo

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Here in the pic we can see that CA's Lake Oroville Dam's spillway has been absolutely destroyed. Engineers must be scratching their heads wondering how/ where a new spillway can be built, and how long that would take. But the worried folk up there aren't out of the woods yet. Whats left of this spillway still needs to handle a whole bunch of snow melt.

I used to live on a knoll above the spillway, and still have friends living around that area. At times we would have a free vibrating bed because of the force of 100,000 cubic feet per second thundering down.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:00 pm

I thought I'd bump it.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:27 am

The same phenomena that happened during the winter of 2016/17 is happening again. California is getting slammed by storm after storm. Next spring and summer ground cover plants will grow, and then dry up and die after another winter or two of low to no rain. Setting the stage for more crazy wildfires.

Screenshot from the below cool video of a flyover the Sierra Nevada snowpack
https://youtu.be/XebiEZG2mck

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:53 pm

The roads are closed in Yosemite.
All those dead standing trees from the drought/beetle infestation couldn't handle the snow and are falling all over the place.
The rangers asked everyone in Yosemite Valley to stay indoors to avoid the "widow makers."

From the YNP website alert page:

All roads closed due to heavy snow and fallen trees
Yosemite has received heavy snow, which has caused numerous trees to fall. As a result all roads are currently closed. Call 209/372-0200 (then 1, 1) to check current road status. People in Yosemite should stay indoors if possible to avoid falling trees.

Today: