Your Best Nature Photos Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Re: Your Best Nature Photos Thread

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am

Skip wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 12:31 pm
Water seems to be a theme...

Chilnualna Creek (south of Yosemite Valley).
0.5 sec, f/14, 25mm, ISO 100, Digital Rebel, 18-55mm kit lens
Also the shot that convinced me of the need for some pretty hefty NDFs (Neutral Density Filter)
I was revisiting this thread and was drawn to this image of Skips. I love the way the water has a muscular look as it begins to flow off down the edge of the picture.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am
Skip wrote:

Also the shot that convinced me of the need for some pretty hefty NDFs (Neutral Density Filter)
I was revisiting this thread and was drawn to this image of Skips. I love the way the water has a muscular look as it begins to flow off down the edge of the picture.
Yeah, I really do miss Skip, a lot.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:05 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am
Skip wrote:

Yeah, I really do miss Skip, a lot.
Me, too. He's a damn good photographer. I wonder what happened to Skip.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 pm

A cold front had been moving in all morning, with temps in high 30s and north wind 15-25 mph, dark and overcast. Suddenly the sun popped through a small break in the clouds, and the marsh hay and tallow trees were suddenly, and briefly, bright with color.

The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:33 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 pm
A cold front had been moving in all morning, with temps in high 30s and north wind 15-25 mph, dark and overcast. Suddenly the sun popped through a small break in the clouds, and the marsh hay and tallow trees were suddenly, and briefly, bright with color.

Nice. We get a similar feel here in the fall when the sun hits the dry cornfields in front of a storm. It’s can be hard to capture, great job.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:48 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Beautiful.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 pm

The Angel Oak tree, estimated to be around 1500 years old. Photographed by a friend of mine, Ashley Bradford

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:53 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 pm
The Angel Oak tree, estimated to be around 1500 years old. Photographed by a friend of mine, Ashley Bradford

Breathtaking!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 am

Here's another neat image of the same tree from designyoutrust.com

The Angel Oak Tree is a Southern live oak located in Angel Oak Park on Johns Island near Charleston, South Carolina.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:57 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 pm

I visited there a couple times when we lived in Charleston. And we'd drive past it on the way to a friends house there on Johns Island. It was a very nice area then (mid-80s). Like most of that whole area, it's probably changed drastically by now. Still, that's a cool pic of a beautiful tree.

G. K. Chesterton

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:42 pm

This tree is on my regular route from home to town. There's a white cross at the foot of it, and a plastic-covered photo of a young lady attached to the lower trunk. One afternoon last month, as I drove past, the image of the tree with the overcast background caught my attention, and I turned around and turned onto a side street where I could pull over and take a pic.

G. K. Chesterton

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:07 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:42 pm
This tree is on my regular route from home to town. There's a white cross at the foot of it, and a plastic-covered photo of a young lady attached to the lower trunk. One afternoon last month, as I drove past, the image of the tree with the overcast background caught my attention, and I turned around and turned onto a side street where I could pull over and take a pic.

Love it, Tim.