Favorite Spooky Story

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Favorite Spooky Story

Post by tuttle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:55 pm

What's yer favorite spooky/scary/ghost/horror/weird/etc tale?

If you link a book or mention a title, give us a summary.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Favorite Spooky Story

Post by Jester » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
by Washington Irving
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm

In 2010, I was dating a Wiccan. She sent me a text that had me scared for 3 straight days.
"I'm late."
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm
In 2010, I was dating a Wiccan. She sent me a text that had me scared for 3 straight days.
"I'm late."
Dude. You damn near had Rosemary's Baby? That needs to go here.
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

DepartedLight
Likes Licking Guns
Likes Licking Guns

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Gimme anything with Boris Karloff in it.

And a comfy blanket to hold close. I get cold in October. What? Don't judge me! I'm old.

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!
DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:11 pm
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
by Washington Irving
I don't know if I've actually read this. I think my only exposure to this is pop culture remakes of the Disney variety.

My oldest daughter told me one day she wanted to read something scary and I picked it up at the bookstore and told her to check it out. Sometime later I asked her how she liked it and she told me that she never finished it. I asked why, and she said that it was too scary.

I should probably read it.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 am

Obama wins re-election
Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm
"I'm late."
That's funny as hell right there.

Fainn wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 am
Obama wins re-election
I was going to post about the last presidential election - that Hillary and The Don are the very best Americans we could come up with - but I'm trying not to get political. But it was scary.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James. You can probably find it in the original on Amazon but there are now graphic versions, audio books, etc. There are a couple of volumes. They live on because they're pretty good.

I think they were first published just after the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Don't read them at bedtime because you won't sleep.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:47 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James. You can probably find it in the original on Amazon but there are now graphic versions, audio books, etc. There are a couple of volumes. They live on because they're pretty good.

I think they were first published just after the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Don't read them at bedtime because you won't sleep.
Its free for Kindle.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Rusty wrote:

I tend not to read in my sleep.

Actually, the film Night Of The Demon (AKA Curse of the Demon in America) based on James' story Casting The Runes (1957 British film) is a pretty scary/atmospheric film. It has aged well in creaky sort of way that makes it even more eerie.... But then, so have I since 1957.
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm

huddsbaggie wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:02 pm
Rusty wrote:

Actually, the film Night Of The Demon (AKA Curse of the Demon in America) based on James' story Casting The Runes (1957 British film) is a pretty scary/atmospheric film. It has aged well in creaky sort of way that makes it even more eerie.... But then, so have I since 1957.
Oi! Good to hear from you huddsy!

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 pm

huddsbaggie wrote:
Rusty wrote:

1957 eh? You must realize that I collect and store anything like this. I'm part squirrel. 1957 was a good year in Britain. As your PM at the time said ... "most of our people have never had it so good". It was the end of petrol rationing. Certainly the beginning of the first good year for you.

You and Serapion (I don't why he wants to become a Pion) are the CPS 1957 cohort. Congratulations!
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:45 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm
huddsbaggie wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Oi! Good to hear from you huddsy!
Good day to you, Tuttie.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 pm
huddsbaggie wrote:
Rusty wrote:

1957 eh? You must realize that I collect and store anything like this. I'm part squirrel. 1957 was a good year in Britain. As your PM at the time said ... "most of our people have never had it so good". It was the end of petrol rationing. Certainly the beginning of the first good year for you.

You and Serapion (I don't why he wants to become a Pion) are the CPS 1957 cohort. Congratulations!
You must be part red squirrel. My civil service pension should come through soon (10 years' service); their letter reminded me I am nearing that age....

Actually, I meant I was an embryo in 1957; born '58 and raised a mammal. I was approximating to the film's date.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 am

Rusty wrote:

Since Rusty posted this, I held it in the back of my mind. I found a copy of a bunch of collected M.R. James ghost stories at the bookstore the other day and it came to the forefront.

I've read about 3 or 4 tales and the creep factor is real. Good stuff.

Wish I could tell Rusty thanks.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Given that; this thread is a zombie, there are posts by people who are no longer here, I vote this thread qualifies as spooky.