Woodturning

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Woodturning

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:38 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:11 pm
Here are some pens I did the past few weeks.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Suhweeeet!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:16 pm

I thought I might put this photo up while I have a moment..
My favorite tamper - by our very own JimVH, of course.

Thanks Jim!

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:16 pm
I thought I might put this photo up while I have a moment..
My favorite tamper - by our very own JimVH, of course.

Thanks Jim!

I love your lighter, too.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm

I did this gift set of cigar pens the other day. First time in my shop since new year's day I believe.

Currently make a safety razor, stand, and brush from zebrawood. Hope it turns out ok. I'm not so great on the CA finish still, but I figure that's the way I better go for waterproof.Image

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Finished. CA proved difficult in a couple spots so I'll keep for myself ... Or that's my excuse at leastImage

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

Those are nice Rev. Can you keep sanding and adding coats of CA until you get an even finish?

I don't understand the CA (superglue) finish deal. It seems to be most popular with pen turners. I suppose that's because your workpieces are on the small side of the spectrum and CA dries quickly? I use a product called Tru-Oil when I make knives with wood handles. It linseed oil, mineral spirits and some other secret sauces. It dries quickly so it doesn't take two weeks to lay down three coats. You guys ever try it on your turnings?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am
Those are nice Rev. Can you keep sanding and adding coats of CA until you get an even finish?

I don't understand the CA (superglue) finish deal. It seems to be most popular with pen turners. I suppose that's because your workpieces are on the small side of the spectrum and CA dries quickly? I use a product called Tru-Oil when I make knives with wood handles. It linseed oil, mineral spirits and some other secret sauces. It dries quickly so it doesn't take two weeks to lay down three coats. You guys ever try it on your turnings?
Yes, you can keep adding, I believe. I did 8 coats on here. I've read of folks doing 20+ coats.

I do not like CA finishes - usually, I use a product called Shellawax for the pens. I figured for a wood razor and brush it should be more permanently waterproof so CA seemed my best bet. Any other ideas?

I have not tried the Tru-Oil though I've been meaning to give a linseed-type oil a try sometime.

I think folks like it because it's quick and adds some protection to the product.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am
I do not like CA finishes - usually, I use a product called Shellawax for the pens. I figured for a wood razor and brush it should be more permanently waterproof so CA seemed my best bet. Any other ideas?
Goat Boy or Van Halen should chime in on the best finish for wood products in a humid environment.
Last edited by FredS on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:32 am

Shellawax is my favorite for very small stuff, like pens. However, it is expensive and doesn't work well on anything much bigger than a pen.

CA is high gloss, and works well when I can get it to work. I have never been able to figure out how to do it perfectly every time so that there are no dull spots.

Tung oil or Danish oil or whatnot is great if you don't desire gloss. I almost always use some kind of oil with bowls.

There is a lot to be said for a simple carnauba finish applied with a buffing wheel like the pipe guys do it.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm

CA is great looking and durable, but a pain to work with (for me, anyway). I've been using Deft Spray Lacquer for bottle stoppers, pens, and small turnings lately. It dries quick and shines nicely. Shellawax is a great product, too, but I've never had very good results from any friction polish on anything much bigger than a pen. HUT Crystal Polish does an ok job, but Shellawax is better. I've used the HUT PPP sticks on a gozillion pens. It's a nice finish, too.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:30 pm

JimVH wrote:CA is great looking and durable, but a pain to work with (for me, anyway). I've been using Deft Spray Lacquer for bottle stoppers, pens, and small turnings lately. It dries quick and shines nicely. Shellawax is a great product, too, but I've never had very good results from any friction polish on anything much bigger than a pen. HUT Crystal Polish does an ok job, but Shellawax is better. I've used the HUT PPP sticks on a gozillion pens. It's a nice finish, too.
You sand that lawyer with micro mesh after, sir?

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:30 pm
JimVH wrote:CA is great looking and durable, but a pain to work with (for me, anyway). I've been using Deft Spray Lacquer for bottle stoppers, pens, and small turnings lately. It dries quick and shines nicely. Shellawax is a great product, too, but I've never had very good results from any friction polish on anything much bigger than a pen. HUT Crystal Polish does an ok job, but Shellawax is better. I've used the HUT PPP sticks on a gozillion pens. It's a nice finish, too.

I have never sanded a lawyer before, but I shall try it with Hugo.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm

ReverendThom wrote:

Yes, but not always. You will not get the CA type smoothness without micromesh. Some woods look and feel better without the mirror finish - just spray a coat or two and be done with it.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm
ReverendThom wrote:

I think Hugo will benefit from a good sanding
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
coco wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm
ReverendThom wrote:

I think Hugo will benefit from a good sanding
Lol whoops.

Thanks, Jim!

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:48 am

Another Atrax fountain pen. I unfortunately had a catch and broke a chunk of acrylic. I decided to experiment and filled the break with super glue and shavings. You can see where it is at the top of the cap and under the clip.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:48 am
Another Atrax fountain pen. I unfortunately had a catch and broke a chunk of acrylic. I decided to experiment and filled the break with super glue and shavings. You can see where it is at the top of the cap and under the clip.

Pretty. If my handwriting didn't look like a one hoofed horse's handwriting I'd like to get a fountain pen.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Safety razor set. I regret the grooves on the brush now :/Image

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue May 29, 2018 9:32 pm

I made some shop pencils this week. I like.

Anybody else make anything lately?

ImageImageImageImageImage

JMG

Post by JMG » Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Nice work.

I'm currently working on a coffee table and two end tables for a customer. Hope to finish some time next week.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad