Bird Hunting 2017-2018

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Re: Bird Hunting 2017-2018

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

How about some esoteric pheasantry as a result of the Turks taking of Constantinople in 1453?Image
hint: Banquet given by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy on February 17, 1454
If you can guess what this painting has to do with pheasant, other than being on the menu at the banquet, you'll win a raw hide pig's ear chewy for your hunting dog.
Last edited by Hovannes on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Last week I was traveling through the Castro County, Texas and I spied a pheasant on the side of the road next to a cotton field! Those are rarer around here than democrats.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Lizzy pointed woodcock ... today.

Yesterday, the woodcock season opener here, she bumped about 12 birds and needless to say we didn't get a shot. In the short outing we had today she really began figuring it out. She had several finds, bumped a few of them, but had at least 5 solid points. All I could manage in the thick cover, however was just one bird.

Tonight she's pretty stove up, and so am I.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:13 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Yesterday, the woodcock season opener here, she bumped about 12 birds and needless to say we didn't get a shot. In the short outing we had today she really began figuring it out. She had several finds, bumped a few of them, but had at least 5 solid points. All I could manage in the thick cover, however was just one bird.

Really impressive.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Sounds pretty darn wonderful to me!
That’s a beautiful point, S&S.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:23 pm

I made my annual birthday hunt a day early this year, since tomorrow I'll be busy being a good boy, etc. It was just me and Lizzy this afternoon, with an hour and half til sunset. I think she's quickly becoming a pretty good little woodcock dog.

Putting on brakes ...

I took this pic, put the camera in my pocket, took a step or two and the bird flushed right toward me, nearly taking my head off. I ducked, wheeled around, and promptly missed.

In less than 2 hours she pointed 5 birds, while bumping 4 more. I made 4 shots, and connected on 2 of them.

Back at the truck as shooting time ended, I took a parting shot. A very nice afternoon. Til next year, happy birthday.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:16 am

My buttons would be poppin’, I’d be so proud of that pup!
Love the photos. It’s like being there.

Thanks so much for posting them, S&S.

Part of cleaning up my office this week involved sorting through some photos to put on a cork board. Lots of pictures of my buddy Jack who passed away this year, and our dogs hunting together.

Two ways to look at their passing and I’m focusing on the good part. What a blessing to have had so many years of truly great friendship, good hunting and wonderful dogs.

So glad I found your post before turning in for the night.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:26 am

I went out for a few hours on Christmas Eve for no other reason than that we had some snow. Beautiful afternoon, but not single sign of any pheasants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:26 am
I went out for a few hours on Christmas Eve for no other reason than that we had some snow. Beautiful afternoon, but not single sign of any pheasants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now seeing this post. Beautiful pics. I'd love to hunt sometime in scenery like that. The surroundings here have just in the last few weeks really turned from green to brown, and have a winter appearance.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Enjoyed a two day quail hunt in south Texas this past weekend, Lizzy and I, along with a friend of mine and his French Brittany, Daisy.

Fri. morning was cool and wet, and we didn't locate a covey until nearly 10am but it was a big one, approx 20 birds. They were in thick brush and cactus, and we bagged none on the covey rise, but found a few singles and ended up with seven before we stopped for a break.

Point (Lizzy), and honor (Daisy).

Lizzy on a single, (which I dropped and she retrieved).

A well deserved drink of clear cool water from the well.

A brief rest for all of us. Those heavy camo cordura chaps were annoying, but they kept my legs dry and free of thorns.

Sat. was misty for most of the day, turning warm in the afternoon. But the dogs located 6 coveys and we bagged a few more quail, along with a couple of bonus birds. This pic didn't turn out well, but there's actually 3 different species of birds on the tailgate ... bobwhite quail, mourning dove, and wilson's snipe.

We cleaned the birds before we left the field, and examined the contents of their craw. Quail and doves both were apparently feeding on what we think is a type of croton, or what we call "goat weed". I plan to do more research on this.

Not as many coveys as the past two years, but both dogs did well, and we had a great time and enjoyed some great local food. I hope to make at least one more trip before the end of the season.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 pm

The season for Wilson's snipe closes here tomorrow, so my grandson and I made a couple of hunts this week. I posted about the first hunt in the PAD thread, so I'll post a pic or 2 from yesterday's hunt here. Lacy is my grandson's 9 month old, 75lb, yellow lab. This is of course her first hunting season, and she's done great retrieving ducks and geese. But we wanted to get her on some upland game, work with her on heeling, and get her some exercise and experience. We didn't take my setter Lizzy along, for various reasons, but that's another story.

Anyway, Lacy learned the drill very quickly, and retrieved the birds to my grandson's hand.

The previous couple of days were wet and cold, but yesterday turned warmer, and Lacy got all of the exercise she needed.

We bagged 12 birds; 4 shy of our 2-man limit. Back at the gate, I laid out my 6 for a quick photo.

Trying to get Lacy to sit and stay next to me while "her boy" took our picture was like a 3 stooges routine.

Hopefully we'll get to make one last hunt for this season tomorrow afternoon. If so, I've promised Lizzy she's going.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:24 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 pm
The season for Wilson's snipe closes here tomorrow, so my grandson and I made a couple of hunts this week. I posted about the first hunt in the PAD thread, so I'll post a pic or 2 from yesterday's hunt here. Lacy is my grandson's 9 month old, 75lb, yellow lab. This is of course her first hunting season, and she's done great retrieving ducks and geese. But we wanted to get her on some upland game, work with her on heeling, and get her some exercise and experience. We didn't take my setter Lizzy along, for various reasons, but that's another story.

Anyway, Lacy learned the drill very quickly, and retrieved the birds to my grandson's hand.

The previous couple of days were wet and cold, but yesterday turned warmer, and Lacy got all of the exercise she needed.

We bagged 12 birds; 4 shy of our 2-man limit. Back at the gate, I laid out my 6 for a quick photo.

Trying to get Lacy to sit and stay next to me while "her boy" took our picture was like a 3 stooges routine.

Hopefully we'll get to make one last hunt for this season tomorrow afternoon. If so, I've promised Lizzy she's going.
Sigh.
Thanks.

Just beautiful.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:28 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm
Enjoyed a two day quail hunt in south Texas this past weekend, Lizzy and I, along with a friend of mine and his French Brittany, Daisy.

Fri. morning was cool and wet, and we didn't locate a covey until nearly 10am but it was a big one, approx 20 birds. They were in thick brush and cactus, and we bagged none on the covey rise, but found a few singles and ended up with seven before we stopped for a break.

Point (Lizzy), and honor (Daisy).

Lizzy on a single, (which I dropped and she retrieved).

A well deserved drink of clear cool water from the well.

A brief rest for all of us. Those heavy camo cordura chaps were annoying, but they kept my legs dry and free of thorns.

Sat. was misty for most of the day, turning warm in the afternoon. But the dogs located 6 coveys and we bagged a few more quail, along with a couple of bonus birds. This pic didn't turn out well, but there's actually 3 different species of birds on the tailgate ... bobwhite quail, mourning dove, and wilson's snipe.

We cleaned the birds before we left the field, and examined the contents of their craw. Quail and doves both were apparently feeding on what we think is a type of croton, or what we call "goat weed". I plan to do more research on this.

Not as many coveys as the past two years, but both dogs did well, and we had a great time and enjoyed some great local food. I hope to make at least one more trip before the end of the season.
I was tied up when you posted this one, S&S, but I love it.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:16 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:24 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Sigh.
Thanks.

Just beautiful.
Thanks Steve. BTW, you know one of my favorite things from the pics? In the second pic, the pup is sitting on my grandson's foot. She always does that, and we remind my grandson that Lacy owns him as much as he owns her, (to quote Gene Hill).

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Yup.
I've been owned, myself, by some pretty wonderful bird dogs.

And Gene Hill owns me, too; as much and I own him.

(I just ordered two I don’t have! :pipe3: )

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm
Yup.

Gosh, yes. I have those volumes as well, plus a few more. There's one rare one I think, that I don't have.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm
Yup.

My Gene Hill section ...

My outdoor section (kind-of messy at the moment), minus the two top shelves out of the pic ...

I recently wondered if Hill ever had any pieces rejected by editors. Or Jack O' Connor, or the other greats. I wonder if Lamar Underwood or someone else ever said to Gene, "just no", to one of his submitted essays. This reminds me, a friend has a couple of my Jack O' Connor books that I need to get back.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Great stuff!

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Quail season ends in Texas tomorrow, and so ends this thread. This season ended for me this afternoon though, when we loaded up the dogs and left south Texas, headed for home. We hunted Friday and Saturday under tough conditions, high 70s temps and wind gusts to 30mph. The dogs did as good as could be expected I suppose, finding just 3 coveys in 2 days. The coveys held fairly well, but the singles pretty much ran and flushed wild, although Lizzy managed to cut off and hold a couple of them. We ended up with 4 birds total. The biggest deal of the weekend however was getting our 89 year old friend and hunting partner into the field, and at least one shot at a quail, which is a whole 'nuther story itself.

I got this one shot of Lizzy flying by. Based on her GPS collar, she ran a total of 22.9 miles at an average speed of 8.85 mph.

Liz was pretty hot, had already drank the water I had with me, and we were headed to a nearby pond, when she suddenly went on point. Five or six birds flushed just as I took the pic, and I didn't fire a single shot.

Lizzy found this covey, but you can just barely see her in the center of the pic, back in the brush. My friend's dog, in the foreground, is actually backing.

It was a bittersweet closing weekend indeed, in every sense of the word, and in more ways than one.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:38 am

You're a class act, Tim.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams