2017 Secret Santa Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6086
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:55 pm
Hoping there's a SS package for me when I get home! Or at least tomorrow.

Oh who am I kidding?! I'll be happy if it arrives 2 weeks from now. :lol:
I am not ignoring the thread or being ungrateful. I left on the 20th for a family visit and will return New Year's Day. So thank you in advance, SS!
Celebration and pics to follow later.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3336
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:58 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:20 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 pm
So here are some pictures of the two beautiful pipes from Briar Works that Durango sent me.

He had originally sent me quite a bit of amazing sounding tobacco. However it got turned away at the border as dangerous goods, and sent back. That Canadian border agent got it wrong. First time in 3 years I've had trouble. But that person not understanding the law worked out in my favour, as you'll see by the two beauties below (way too generous!!!)

Oh, and I hear there's a parcel of baccy waiting for me in North Dakota now. I'll go down next week and wait until Ukrainian to open it (that's what we call Orthodox Christmas on the prairies). Again, wayyyyyy too generous.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Drool.
That first one is a dead ringer for a Peterson 999, my favorite shape. SCORE!!!!
Yes sir! I have a nice little set building up.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Jared wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm
Aren't we required to post a picture of what our secret Santa sent us? I got mine yesterday and will as soon as I can. Doing Holiday overnights and it requires a bit of a set up to take and post pictures. BTW, mine was jimvh, of course, lol, I wouldn't have known if he hadn't printed his name with his return address. Been wanting a clay pipe for a while now and everyone loves the little noseburner pipe. Need to do some research on the plum cake. Thanks man! I've said it before and I'll say it time and time again this is one of the greatest bunch of friends a guy could have.
I eagerly await your reviews.

:D

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Has everyone checked in?

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm
Has everyone checked in?
Mine has not yet been received, but the Missus may be hiding it. She swears she isn't, but she's been known to be sneaky.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:39 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm
Has everyone checked in?
Mine has not yet been received, but the Missus may be hiding it. She swears she isn't, but she's been known to be sneaky.
The box arrived today. My SS turned out to be Gabe, who's big heart led him to send me a PM letting me know it was on its way. I can't get my photobucket to work and I haven't set up that thing Pepik mentioned, so this description is going to have to work.

He made me a Walnut tabletop pipe stand complete with a tall pipe ring, a cork knocker with a sunken dish to catch loose tobacco, a pipe cleaner holder, and a little cup complete with a hand turned tamper. The whole thing sits flat with one side being live edge. An extra bonus was the couple ounces of Shortcut to Mushrooms he included. If you have a picture of it Gabe, you should really post it because this thing is awesome. A hundred thanks my good friend.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:39 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm
Has everyone checked in?
Mine has not yet been received, but the Missus may be hiding it. She swears she isn't, but she's been known to be sneaky.
The box arrived today. My SS turned out to be Gabe, who's big heart led him to send me a PM letting me know it was on its way. I can't get my photobucket to work and I haven't set up that thing Pepik mentioned, so this description is going to have to work.

He made me a Walnut tabletop pipe stand complete with a tall pipe ring, a cork knocker with a sunken dish to catch loose tobacco, a pipe cleaner holder, and a little cup complete with a hand turned tamper. The whole thing sits flat with one side being live edge. An extra bonus was the couple ounces of Shortcut to Mushrooms he included. If you have a picture of it Gabe, you should really post it because this thing is awesome. A hundred thanks my good friend.
You will figure out how to get a pic of that up in here.

Do we understand each other?

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33718
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by UncleBob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:06 pm

That should be everyone. Merry Christmas!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:27 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:06 pm
That should be everyone. Merry Christmas!
HEY! NO! Wait.

Sam owes a pic, and.

And.

And I don't want it to end.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11395
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by Gabriel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm

So glad you liked it. As always, I have a million reasons to point out that it wasn’t what I hoped for but... here’s a few pics since you asked:

Image

Image

All the pieces are turned from walnut. Merry Christmas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm
So glad you liked it. As always, I have a million reasons to point out that it wasn’t what I hoped for but... here’s a few pics since you asked:

Image

Image

All the pieces are turned from walnut. Merry Christmas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you explaining 100% walnut with a cork knocker, exactly?

I dunno what all I'm smelling here. But it sure ain't the end of the SS-17 event, that's for sure.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21061
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by JimVH » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm
So glad you liked it. As always, I have a million reasons to point out that it wasn’t what I hoped for but... here’s a few pics since you asked:

Image

Image

All the pieces are turned from walnut. Merry Christmas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is pretty darned cool, right there.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26675
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:39 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm
So glad you liked it. As always, I have a million reasons to point out that it wasn’t what I hoped for but... here’s a few pics since you asked:

Image

Image

All the pieces are turned from walnut. Merry Christmas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is pretty darned cool, right there.
Jim?

Do you know of a method where cork pipe knockers are fashioned from only 100% organically grown walnut? Is that a secret only for those in Texas or, can anyone know about such a fantastic invention?

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11395
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by Gabriel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:03 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:39 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm
So glad you liked it. As always, I have a million reasons to point out that it wasn’t what I hoped for but... here’s a few pics since you asked:

All the pieces are turned from walnut. Merry Christmas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is pretty darned cool, right there.
Jim?

Do you know of a method where cork pipe knockers are fashioned from only 100% organically grown walnut? Is that a secret only for those in Texas or, can anyone know about such a fantastic invention?
Actually, everyone knows. You're the odd man out here... didn’t want to be the one to tell you.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:03 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:39 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm
So glad you liked it. As always, I have a million reasons to point out that it wasn’t what I hoped for but... here’s a few pics since you asked:

All the pieces are turned from walnut. Merry Christmas!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is pretty darned cool, right there.
Jim?

Do you know of a method where cork pipe knockers are fashioned from only 100% organically grown walnut? Is that a secret only for those in Texas or, can anyone know about such a fantastic invention?
Actually, everyone knows. You're the odd man out here... didn’t want to be the one to tell you.
Here? :chili:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21061
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by JimVH » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm

I left work in a sour mood, but all that faded when I got home and checked the mail. My SS sent me a cool new pipe (I'm already smoking it and all signs indicate it will be a champ), a pouch of Captain Black Copper (good stuff), a cool little folding pipe tool (that I think is going to wind up attached to fob end of my pocket watch chain), and a pouch of fancy pipe cleaners (I like the zebra effect). It also included a pair of leather, that's right, leather, bow ties. These things are pretty slick. I'm going to try out the brown one tomorrow.
Image

And if that weren't enough, the box included this precious drawing from my favorite artist. It's on the Fridge of Honor for now, but tomorrow will take its place on my office wall next to my desk.
Image

I'm humbled and grateful, friend. Merry Christmas.

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5546
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by JMG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Some very cool stuff this year for sure. I'm pumped that I will get to be a part of it this coming Christmas.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 pm
Some very cool stuff this year for sure. I'm pumped that I will get to be a part of it this coming Christmas.
That will be fun, for certain. But since I've gotten here, you and yours have been a part of my liturgical year. I'm thankful to "know" you, sir. I'm happy you'll be home.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5546
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by JMG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 pm
JMG wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:54 pm
Some very cool stuff this year for sure. I'm pumped that I will get to be a part of it this coming Christmas.
That will be fun, for certain. But since I've gotten here, you and yours have been a part of my liturgical year. I'm thankful to "know" you, sir. I'm happy you'll be home.
That means a lot me, brother. Thank you.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Jared
I await final judgement [sic]
I await final judgement [sic]
Posts: 1989
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: 2017 Secret Santa Thread

Post by Jared » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:14 pm

Did freds check in?
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. George Washinton Carver

In Vino Vertias, in Cervesio Felicitas

2014, 2015, 2016 &, 2017 Winner Most Likely Not To Win An Award

Post Reply