Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
jdavis2809
Elder
Elder
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm
Location: VA

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by jdavis2809 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOibtqWo6z4
Agree to disagree? Grew up listening to Bob Seger cause of my dad so have to go with the original. My brother and I took him and 2 uncles to see him in Columbus a few years back. Pretty fond memory.

User avatar
jdavis2809
Elder
Elder
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm
Location: VA

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by jdavis2809 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 pm

https://youtu.be/YV5KAbV34NU

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23368
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 pm

jdavis2809 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOibtqWo6z4
Agree to disagree? Grew up listening to Bob Seger cause of my dad so have to go with the original. My brother and I took him and 2 uncles to see him in Columbus a few years back. Pretty fond memory.
You know, I was hesitant to post that. I'm a big fan of Seger, too. The Metallica cover is an excellent version, but not necessarily better. We don't have to disagree.

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24182
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by Skip » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbhxukCd-4
You beat me to it...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38761
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by Del » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 am

Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbhxukCd-4
You beat me to it...
Pipeson listened to this one many times, over and over. He was spellbound for a few weeks then.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener
Posts: 9055
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am
Don't make me clean-up after you, dude.
Jester wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 am
Johnny Cash Hurt

The chubby Hawaiian guy who did Somewhere Over The Rainbow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I
Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole's Somewhere over the Rainbow is wonderful. Brings tears to my eyes.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8646
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by SlowToke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am

Del wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 am
Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbhxukCd-4
You beat me to it...
Pipeson listened to this one many times, over and over. He was spellbound for a few weeks then.
Yep. One of my favorite covers.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8646
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by SlowToke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23368
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU
FTW

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2354
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by joegoat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am
Del wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 am
Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbhxukCd-4
You beat me to it...
Pipeson listened to this one many times, over and over. He was spellbound for a few weeks then.
Yep. One of my favorite covers.
Disturbed's version is on par with Passenger's cover of this song. They both do it differently, but excellent in their own ways.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22316
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am
Del wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 am
Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbhxukCd-4
You beat me to it...
Pipeson listened to this one many times, over and over. He was spellbound for a few weeks then.
Yep. One of my favorite covers.
Disturbed's version is on par with Passenger's cover of this song. They both do it differently, but excellent in their own ways.
This thing seemed to hit the sweet spot for middle-aged, white, Christian, men. It's is way overrated if you ask me. It got linked and played all over social media by dozens of my Christian friends. Metal is metal people, no matter how s...l...o...w they sing. Reminds of the hair bands who had to have a ballad that rebellious teens could point to when their parents complained about the bands they listened to.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36862
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCv2jKzsx8
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2354
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by joegoat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 am
Del wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 am
Skip wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbhxukCd-4
You beat me to it...
Pipeson listened to this one many times, over and over. He was spellbound for a few weeks then.
Yep. One of my favorite covers.
Disturbed's version is on par with Passenger's cover of this song. They both do it differently, but excellent in their own ways.
This thing seemed to hit the sweet spot for middle-aged, white, Christian, men. It's is way overrated if you ask me. It got linked and played all over social media by dozens of my Christian friends. Metal is metal people, no matter how s...l...o...w they sing. Reminds of the hair bands who had to have a ballad that rebellious teens could point to when their parents complained about the bands they listened to.
I'll try not to get into the, "Is secular music a sin?" debate. No one genre appeals to me. I pick and choose, based on what sounds good. The rest of the "music" done by this band, to me, is awful from every way you look at it. I'm just as picky with "christian music" as I am with secular. Much of the modern, mainstream christian music and secular music for that matter, in my opinion, lacks talent and ability.
For me to listen, it has to sound good and the lyrics can't be unwholesome (your convictions may vary). Today songs are sold as singles rather than entire albums. I think this is a band trying to sell a single to a larger range of people. It seems to be working.
My eyes roll back in my head when someone takes a firm stand against all secular music except for the songs that have a few Biblically derived lyrics. I came up K through 12 in a school that taught all secular music and "Christian Rock Musicals" (their words not mine) were sinful, except for classical music... I have yet to figure the exceptions out. There were revivals with a group from BJU, complete with CD burnings and stern warnings that, "This music will drag you to hell if you don't get rid of it." Luckily, my home life and church straightened out the kinks in the hose.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23368
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3BAF_15yQ

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by infidel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm
This thing seemed to hit the sweet spot for middle-aged, white, Christian, men. It's is way overrated if you ask me. It got linked and played all over social media by dozens of my Christian friends. Metal is metal people, no matter how s...l...o...w they sing. Reminds of the hair bands who had to have a ballad that rebellious teens could point to when their parents complained about the bands they listened to.
Raptor poo for you :chili:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by infidel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl9ZMfj6aE
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by infidel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ3BAF_15yQ
Awesome.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... On0LWHjdi0
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

User avatar
hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Posts: 18778
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 pm

I think this picture of a die cast model is better than the original
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am
A 1:18 scale Matchbox Enzo Ferrari I photographed

Image
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 24182
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Song Covers That You Think Are Actually Better Than the Original

Post by Skip » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:36 pm

infidel wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 am
FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 pm
This thing seemed to hit the sweet spot for middle-aged, white, Christian, men. It's is way overrated if you ask me. It got linked and played all over social media by dozens of my Christian friends. Metal is metal people, no matter how s...l...o...w they sing. Reminds of the hair bands who had to have a ballad that rebellious teens could point to when their parents complained about the bands they listened to.
Raptor poo for you :chili:
Yeah. There are times I think of Fred as a brother-from-another-mother. Then there are times - like this one - that he's more of a long-lost distant cousin. Several times removed. And possibly from a different branch of the evolutionary tree.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Post Reply