Possible Box Pass: Tea

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:57 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:54 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm
Too late to add Alastair? We consulted by telephone and he would like to join in.
Hmm.. no. He can slide in after me and before you--if no one else objects.
Let me know the final answer and I'll get his new address. Say what you will, in between he and Brigid, there are at least two people participating who actually have studied tea.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33590
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm

**UPDATE**

After consulting the dice, here is the box pass order:
1. Brigid
2. Jester
3. sweetnsour
4. JimVH
5. UncleBob
6. A_Morley
7. hugodrax
8. Winton
9. Pepik
10. Brigid
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Pepik » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm

The burning question now is, what is Brigid jonesing for tea-wise?
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4325
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Brigid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 am

Pepik wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm
The burning question now is, what is Brigid jonesing for tea-wise?
I like smoky, floral, robust, and creamy teas. It'll be another couple months before I can drink black tea again (long story) so I'm currently enjoying milk oolong, lavender oolong, rooibos, puerh, and a few herbal tisanes in the chamomile/peppermint/lavender flavor family.

My favorite teas ever have been black tea with roses or lychee, Russian Caravan, Earl Grey mixed with Russian Caravan (called Moscow Nights locally), and any good Earl Grey / Earl Grey creme / Lady Grey / lavender Earl Grey. MrBrigid loves sencha and most fine Japanese greens, but I think they taste of lawn.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 am

Brigid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 am
Pepik wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm
The burning question now is, what is Brigid jonesing for tea-wise?
I like smoky, floral, robust, and creamy teas. It'll be another couple months before I can drink black tea again (long story) so I'm currently enjoying milk oolong, lavender oolong, rooibos, puerh, and a few herbal tisanes in the chamomile/peppermint/lavender flavor family.

My favorite teas ever have been black tea with roses or lychee, Russian Caravan, Earl Grey mixed with Russian Caravan (called Moscow Nights locally), and any good Earl Grey / Earl Grey creme / Lady Grey / lavender Earl Grey. MrBrigid loves sencha and most fine Japanese greens, but I think they taste of lawn.
Well, I can easily take care of Mr. Brigid. Perhaps I can interest you in a hojicha--the oolong of Japanese greens?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4325
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Brigid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 am
Brigid wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 am
Pepik wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm
The burning question now is, what is Brigid jonesing for tea-wise?
I like smoky, floral, robust, and creamy teas. It'll be another couple months before I can drink black tea again (long story) so I'm currently enjoying milk oolong, lavender oolong, rooibos, puerh, and a few herbal tisanes in the chamomile/peppermint/lavender flavor family.

My favorite teas ever have been black tea with roses or lychee, Russian Caravan, Earl Grey mixed with Russian Caravan (called Moscow Nights locally), and any good Earl Grey / Earl Grey creme / Lady Grey / lavender Earl Grey. MrBrigid loves sencha and most fine Japanese greens, but I think they taste of lawn.
Well, I can easily take care of Mr. Brigid. Perhaps I can interest you in a hojicha--the oolong of Japanese greens?
I'd love to try it!
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15374
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 am

I've not checked into this thread until today.

Is it too late? I have some tea provided to me from India-- real India tea-- that I'd be glad to pass around.

I'd be curious about recommendations as I've not been too much into tea. I did introduce my wife to the concept of honey in the tea-- she felt like it was almost cheating (ie. she doesn't like tea as a principal).

Looks like I might be too late...
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Jester » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 am

The box was at my house when I got off work last night. Brigid already has this thing packed to the brim.
Image

With never doing this before at first it was a little overwhelming. Luckily Brigid had everything categorized and sorted. Black, white, green, oolong and herb/red. There were a variety of teas in each section. There was also a bag of coffee that smells great.

I decided to start off trying a cup of Black. Not the Russian Caravan but the other, I will get the names on the final list. (I am making a list of what I am getting from the box each day. Meant to bring it but left it at home.) I also tried one of the Green teas, again I will get the names later. I highly enjoyed the Russian and it would have gone great with a cigar or pipe. The Green was very earthy. I didn't plan on adding anything to the teas to get the taste but half way through this cup I did blend in a bit of honey with it.

I do not plan on taking much from the box. Maybe one or two cups a day but it did appear to have enough of each loose leaf for everyone to try a cup unless noted. I will be picking some good tea up to add before sending and I will also be adding some whiskey infused coffee. I will give a full update in a week when I am ready to send off the box.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4325
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Brigid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 am
I've not checked into this thread until today.

Is it too late? I have some tea provided to me from India-- real India tea-- that I'd be glad to pass around.
I hope we can include you, Gary! And not only because that tea sounds delicious.
Jester wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 am
I decided to start off trying a cup of Black. Not the Russian Caravan but the other, I will get the names on the final list. (I am making a list of what I am getting from the box each day. Meant to bring it but left it at home.) I also tried one of the Green teas, again I will get the names later. I highly enjoyed the Russian and it would have gone great with a cigar or pipe. The Green was very earthy. I didn't plan on adding anything to the teas to get the taste but half way through this cup I did blend in a bit of honey with it.

I do not plan on taking much from the box. Maybe one or two cups a day but it did appear to have enough of each loose leaf for everyone to try a cup unless noted. I will be picking some good tea up to add before sending and I will also be adding some whiskey infused coffee. I will give a full update in a week when I am ready to send off the box.
Maybe Czar Nicholas? It's a fruity, robust black. It would take milk and honey well. Russian Caravan can handle cream, but does even better with lemon instead. (Sidebar: Don't add both milk/cream and lemon. Either/or.) The earthy green might have been genmaicha, if it had little toasted rice pieces in it. Then again, most greens are a little earthy to me. MrBrigid's favorite teas taste of lawn, with notes of topsoil.

There's plenty, Jester, try as much as you'd like and keep a few. That's the beauty of the box.

Also whiskey coffee sounds quite good...
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Jester » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Brigid wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm
The earthy green might have been genmaicha, if it had little toasted rice pieces in it. Then again, most greens are a little earthy to me. MrBrigid's favorite teas taste of lawn, with notes of topsoil.

Also whiskey coffee sounds quite good...
Yes it did have the toasted rice in it.

My friend runs a place called Freedom Coffees and makes a lot of organic blends. He spent a lot of time on the whiskey blend. He poured about 30 gallons of whiskey into a barrel, then he had to wait for the oak to soak it up before he added the beans. The beans took a long time to infuse with the whiskey also.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm

I will be sending the box to sweetandsour after work tomorrow.

I didn't take very much out of the box but I did learn a lot. I added a large unopened container of Gunpowder Green Tea and a small sample of whiskey coffee to the box.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4325
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Brigid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm
I will be sending the box to sweetandsour after work tomorrow.

I didn't take very much out of the box but I did learn a lot. I added a large unopened container of Gunpowder Green Tea and a small sample of whiskey coffee to the box.
What did you learn? Which did you like and dislike?
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Jester » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 am

Brigid wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:46 pm
Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:51 pm
I will be sending the box to sweetandsour after work tomorrow.

I didn't take very much out of the box but I did learn a lot. I added a large unopened container of Gunpowder Green Tea and a small sample of whiskey coffee to the box.
What did you learn? Which did you like and dislike?
This was the first time I ever made loose leaf, so there is that. I knew there were different varieties of teas but i didn't know how or why.
Takes
Ooh-long
Ti Kwan Yin (local discontinued) 1 cup
Price of Peace - Pu-Erh tea
Green Tea
one packet of green Kirkland brand
1 cup of Sencha
1 cup Arach Genmaicha
1 packet Lemon Sorbetti (for the kidney stones)
Black
There were two Russians in the box, those are the only blacks i tried. There was a fruity smelling one. This was probably my favorite from the whole box.
White
Peony 1 packet
Pomegranate 1 packet

Adds
1 large container of Gunpowder Green Tea
1 small sample of whiskey infused coffee.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Jester » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 am

The box has been shipped.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8828
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 am
The box has been shipped.
... But not yet received. It's still in transit though, according to USPS tracking. USPS has been very slow since before Christmas, in my experience. But I'll advise when I receive our tea box. Looking forward to checking it out.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Jester » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 am
Jester wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 am
The box has been shipped.
... But not yet received. It's still in transit though, according to USPS tracking. USPS has been very slow since before Christmas, in my experience. But I'll advise when I receive our tea box. Looking forward to checking it out.
What?!? Should have been there Friday. It was 3 day priority shipping.

EDIT:
The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. The item is currently in transit to the destination as of February 5, 2018 at 12:17 pm. It is on its way to .........
That is disappointing. I hope the stuffed mushrooms are still good. :lol:
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by Winton » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

I also had a very long delivery on something recently from the USPS.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8828
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

I received a notice that there's a box at the P.O.. I'll go pick it up tmrw.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33590
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Why You May Want to Avoid Drinking Piping-Hot Tea
A word of caution to tea lovers: Let your cuppa cool a bit before taking a sip. A new study from China finds that drinking tea at extremely high temperatures may increase a person's risk of esophageal cancer, especially if that person also consumes too much alcohol and is a smoker.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Possible Box Pass: Tea

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm
Why You May Want to Avoid Drinking Piping-Hot Tea
A word of caution to tea lovers: Let your cuppa cool a bit before taking a sip. A new study from China finds that drinking tea at extremely high temperatures may increase a person's risk of esophageal cancer, especially if that person also consumes too much alcohol and is a smoker.
Considering they all drink, smoke, and live in cities absolutely surrounded by the foulest of carcinogens, tea is clearly the problem.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply