Broken Pipe - Rusty

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Re: Broken Pipe - Rusty

Post by Jester » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:30 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:47 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 am
calvinistanglican wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 am
This is from his daughter,

"I'm so happy my dad was so loved by others as well as myself and my family, he was so unique and misunderstood a lot of the time and I cannot tell you how much it truly means to me that he had such loyal, caring and sincere friends... it has honestly put my heart and mind at such ease through this time knowing that he had such a loving surrounding. Evidently he was almost just as private with us as he was with others, he kept his CPS to himself and it truly was a platform and world of his own.. it makes my heart warm to know how much he loved it and how much he was loved and admired back. He went through some really tough times also in the last 15 years and I know that you and the group were such a crucially positive impact on his life. He loved you all dearly."
Good grief, this does my heart good. Rusty, you were a know-it-all b-hole sometimes, but in the very, very best of ways. You didn't let me slide with any comment I made directed towards you. You made me own my thoughts or eat my words and it has made me better. Brother, I truly and dearly hope to have a reunion (and a first time face-to-face) with you one day in glory. It's evident that you were loved by your family and friends and that says so much of you. For what it's worth, know that from now on I will berate anyone here that post pics of their pipes on racks, willingly, like a buffoon, letting the air oxidize their stems. I won't do it even partly as eloquently as you would have, but I will do my best.
Yes. Farewell, Rusty. I'm sure he was private about CPS. I'm also too embarrassed to tell my family I've been hanging out with a bunch of Christians. Bwahahahaha. I liked Rusty very much. But you'll be pleased to know, he argued with other atheists on CPS via PM as much as with the rest of you. He called me out several times if I was being unfair. But amid all this eulogizing, let's not forget, he was wrong about Erinmore.

Farewell, old friend.

FredS wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:25 pm
Many of you may not realize it, but Rusty kept tabs on us. Literally. He had a database with our actual or approximate birth dates. He likely also recorded our favorite tobaccos, pipe makers, and hobbies. I don't know whether he did this on paper or on his computer, but I know he kept track of us as only a friend would do. Or maybe he saw us as some sort of research project. I don't know that he ever said it directly, but surely he found us an odd lot of (mostly) intelligent men and women who came to our faith (or didn't) through clear-minded reasoning. As Gary mentioned, Rusty found him - a scientist - to be particularly interesting. I, for one, was prompted by Rusty - perhaps even required - to examine my beliefs more closely on many occasions. My beliefs about Christ, pipe engineering, tobacco treatments, the future of fossil fuels, the value of college degrees, a host of social issues, exceptionalism: You name it and Rusty prodded me on it. I particularly like it when he tweaked Del whenever Del went on about how great the middle ages were.

Like many of his fellow introverts, Rusty felt safe here. This is a place we can 'talk' about subjects we just can't talk about anywhere else. He helped make it that way.
Oh yeah. Rusty knew everything that had happened... he knew what Wosbald said in 2010 about stuff that nobody else could understand, and every theological and political position once championed by TNLP (which was a lot to catalogue). If there is undercover alien life on Earth to observe us, it will look exactly like Rusty. Just sayin.

tuttle wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm
Oh, man, this hurts.

I just found out about this tonight. I'd missed this thread and Jester came over tonight and mentioned Rusty's passing and it flat out bowled me over.

We joined up here the same year and had almost a decade's worth of vigorous exchanges on loads of things both on the forums and in private messages. Over the last couple of years I feel like we've been an odd couple of sorts. I've found myself in agreement with him on things I typically would assume we'd knock heads. I appreciated his mind and how we could engage in a civil and peaceable way amidst a plethora of difficult and controversial and potentially combustable topics. I credit all of the civility to Rusty. I love that he was fascinated with many of our Christian opinions and that he continued to engage us despite his claim of unbelief. I really dug his feistiness. I found in him a kindred spirit when the political threads were being locked down. He valued the free exchange of thoughts and the amazing (albeit, relative) way that CPS seemed to be the only place on the internet that didn't explode with hate and vitriol. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, you at least knew where he stood and one came to expect a reasonable and, more often than not, enjoyable discussion.

I'm humbled beyond all belief to have been the last person he engaged with on the public forum. I'm going to miss him dearly.

I will be praying for his wife and daughter.
As usual, Tuttle pretty much speaks for me. Except for that last bit... which is all Tuttle. 8)

Hidden Content

Vale.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Onyx wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:47 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 am
calvinistanglican wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 am
This is from his daughter,

"I'm so happy my dad was so loved by others as well as myself and my family, he was so unique and misunderstood a lot of the time and I cannot tell you how much it truly means to me that he had such loyal, caring and sincere friends... it has honestly put my heart and mind at such ease through this time knowing that he had such a loving surrounding. Evidently he was almost just as private with us as he was with others, he kept his CPS to himself and it truly was a platform and world of his own.. it makes my heart warm to know how much he loved it and how much he was loved and admired back. He went through some really tough times also in the last 15 years and I know that you and the group were such a crucially positive impact on his life. He loved you all dearly."
Good grief, this does my heart good. Rusty, you were a know-it-all b-hole sometimes, but in the very, very best of ways. You didn't let me slide with any comment I made directed towards you. You made me own my thoughts or eat my words and it has made me better. Brother, I truly and dearly hope to have a reunion (and a first time face-to-face) with you one day in glory. It's evident that you were loved by your family and friends and that says so much of you. For what it's worth, know that from now on I will berate anyone here that post pics of their pipes on racks, willingly, like a buffoon, letting the air oxidize their stems. I won't do it even partly as eloquently as you would have, but I will do my best.
Yes. Farewell, Rusty. I'm sure he was private about CPS. I'm also too embarrassed to tell my family I've been hanging out with a bunch of Christians. Bwahahahaha. I liked Rusty very much. But you'll be pleased to know, he argued with other atheists on CPS via PM as much as with the rest of you. He called me out several times if I was being unfair. But amid all this eulogizing, let's not forget, he was wrong about Erinmore.

Farewell, old friend.

FredS wrote:
Many of you may not realize it, but Rusty kept tabs on us. Literally. He had a database with our actual or approximate birth dates. He likely also recorded our favorite tobaccos, pipe makers, and hobbies. I don't know whether he did this on paper or on his computer, but I know he kept track of us as only a friend would do. Or maybe he saw us as some sort of research project. I don't know that he ever said it directly, but surely he found us an odd lot of (mostly) intelligent men and women who came to our faith (or didn't) through clear-minded reasoning. As Gary mentioned, Rusty found him - a scientist - to be particularly interesting. I, for one, was prompted by Rusty - perhaps even required - to examine my beliefs more closely on many occasions. My beliefs about Christ, pipe engineering, tobacco treatments, the future of fossil fuels, the value of college degrees, a host of social issues, exceptionalism: You name it and Rusty prodded me on it. I particularly like it when he tweaked Del whenever Del went on about how great the middle ages were.

Like many of his fellow introverts, Rusty felt safe here. This is a place we can 'talk' about subjects we just can't talk about anywhere else. He helped make it that way.
Oh yeah. Rusty knew everything that had happened... he knew what Wosbald said in 2010 about stuff that nobody else could understand, and every theological and political position once championed by TNLP (which was a lot to catalogue). If there is undercover alien life on Earth to observe us, it will look exactly like Rusty. Just sayin.

tuttle wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:37 pm
Oh, man, this hurts.

I just found out about this tonight. I'd missed this thread and Jester came over tonight and mentioned Rusty's passing and it flat out bowled me over.

We joined up here the same year and had almost a decade's worth of vigorous exchanges on loads of things both on the forums and in private messages. Over the last couple of years I feel like we've been an odd couple of sorts. I've found myself in agreement with him on things I typically would assume we'd knock heads. I appreciated his mind and how we could engage in a civil and peaceable way amidst a plethora of difficult and controversial and potentially combustable topics. I credit all of the civility to Rusty. I love that he was fascinated with many of our Christian opinions and that he continued to engage us despite his claim of unbelief. I really dug his feistiness. I found in him a kindred spirit when the political threads were being locked down. He valued the free exchange of thoughts and the amazing (albeit, relative) way that CPS seemed to be the only place on the internet that didn't explode with hate and vitriol. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, you at least knew where he stood and one came to expect a reasonable and, more often than not, enjoyable discussion.

I'm humbled beyond all belief to have been the last person he engaged with on the public forum. I'm going to miss him dearly.

I will be praying for his wife and daughter.
As usual, Tuttle pretty much speaks for me. Except for that last bit... which is all Tuttle. 8)

Hidden Content

Vale.
There is much good sense in what you've written. But he was right about Erinmore Flake. :dancingpie:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 am

Finally got around to writing in the journal and I did throw a picture in as well, just gotta drop it off at the post office, Coco will receive it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

jgnome
Congregation
Congregation

Post by jgnome » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Hidden Content

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am

Hidden Content
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 am

Hidden Content

JMG

Post by JMG » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 am

Hidden Content
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:48 am

Hidden Content

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am

hugodrax wrote:Then he probably should have not collected my information for his own personal amusement. Just sayin'.
Any information he may of been able to collect was obviously not private-I don’t see how these are connected. Just sayin’

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

Hidden Content

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 am

Hidden Content
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am

Hidden Content

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 am

Another CPS thread gone off the rails---how I love this place!

Rusty was a long time member of the Large Format Photography Forum but he never posted there.
Once he asked me to post a thread for him. Good times!

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am

I don’t remember having any direct conversations with him, but when I needed a review of a tobacco, or info on a pipe maker, I sought out his posts first. I respected him as a very knowledgeable person, and he certainly inspired me to delve deeper into the world of pipes and tobacco.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 am

So whoever has the package currently if they don’t mind PMing me I’ve got another person who would like to contribute

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:47 pm

FredS wrote:

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Rusty was like an older brother. He could simultaneously give you the business while making you feel cared for. Rusty had a proclivity of remembering who you were. There were several times he could remember something specific and personal from a post you wrote years and years ago. The guy cared. And his death hurts.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 pm

It seems in my absence I have missed some devastating news. As I read about the passing of our beloved Rusty this evening, I was floored. I've received quite a few PMs over the years from Rusty, one not that long ago checking up on me and my wife in Kenya. The man was good, though eccentric--he was good. I will definitely miss him and his knowledge on a variety of topics. Gosh, I just can't even...

My thoughts and prayers will continue to go out to his family.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm

I just found out about it today. Sometimes I could strangle him, but he did have a lot of tobacco knowledge.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:43 am

JMG wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am
Hidden Content
Hidden Content