Shakespeare in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Shakespeare in the News

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Plagiarism Software Unveils a New Source for 11 of Shakespeare’s Plays
For years scholars have debated what inspired William Shakespeare’s writings. Now, with the help of software typically used by professors to nab cheating students, two writers have discovered an unpublished manuscript they believe the Bard of Avon consulted to write “King Lear,” “Macbeth,” “Richard III,” “Henry V” and seven other plays.
The authors are not suggesting that Shakespeare plagiarized but rather that he read and was inspired by a manuscript titled “A Brief Discourse of Rebellion and Rebels,” written in the late 1500s by George North, a minor figure in the court of Queen Elizabeth, who served as an ambassador to Sweden.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Shakespeare in the News

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 am

Now this is very interesting! Can't wait to see what A. Morley Jacques thinks about it!
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 am

I appreciate they make the distinction between inspiration and plagiarism.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 am
Yeah, there's a difference, but sadly its been blurred by modern copyright law. Copyrights are well and good, but there's no denying they've squeltched creativity. You're going to be hard pressed to find an author of nearly any work in the (pre-copyright) past who did not build off of already written characters, themes, stories, etc, because that was considered, not only to be a legit way of creating, but an actual contribution to the artistic lineage and tradition that came before you. You stood in a stream and gathered what everyone else had done before and ran wild with it.

Actually, it still happens today with all the public domain works. There probably isn't a movie released throughout the year that hasn't nabbed something, if not whole cloth, from Shakespeare. Shoot, I recently purchased a Dungeons & Dragons adventure about fighting giants which was based on a Shakespeare play.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:43 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 am
Yeah, there's a difference, but sadly its been blurred by modern copyright law. Copyrights are well and good, but there's no denying they've squeltched creativity. You're going to be hard pressed to find an author of nearly any work in the (pre-copyright) past who did not build off of already written characters, themes, stories, etc, because that was considered, not only to be a legit way of creating, but an actual contribution to the artistic lineage and tradition that came before you. You stood in a stream and gathered what everyone else had done before and ran wild with it.

Actually, it still happens today with all the public domain works. There probably isn't a movie released throughout the year that hasn't nabbed something, if not whole cloth, from Shakespeare. Shoot, I recently purchased a Dungeons & Dragons adventure about fighting giants which was based on a Shakespeare play.
Pretty much true, all the above. You can get ideas from anywhere, but you have to be careful.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)