Princess Bride RPG

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Princess Bride RPG

Post by tuttle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 am

This might be of interest to some folks around here. There is a Princess Bride RPG that just launched on Kickstarter: Check it.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Re: Princess Bride RPG

Post by infidel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Seems like it could be fun with the right people.

I had never heard of the Fudge system. Gave the mechanics a quick read and it seems decent. The +- dice are a unique twist.

Back in the day, when I had time for such things, I wrote up my own generic "mechanics-lite" rpg system that was 3d6 based.

My favorite from all those years ago is The Window: http://www.mimgames.com/window/

All the simplicity and flexibility of word-based character design, but still retains the fun of using the plethora of multi-sided dice.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

8-O RPG is what they call a rocket propelled grenade on the planet I came from.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm
Nerd!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm

tuttle wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm
Nerd!
:yes:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Back in my day, we just went out and pulled.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 am

infidel wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 pm
Seems like it could be fun with the right people.

I had never heard of the Fudge system. Gave the mechanics a quick read and it seems decent. The +- dice are a unique twist.

Back in the day, when I had time for such things, I wrote up my own generic "mechanics-lite" rpg system that was 3d6 based.

My favorite from all those years ago is The Window: http://www.mimgames.com/window/

All the simplicity and flexibility of word-based character design, but still retains the fun of using the plethora of multi-sided dice.
I'll have to check out the link at home (blocked by work filters...) but I love a mechanics-lite game system. A simple rule set is extremely attractive especially since I play virtually all of my tabletop rpg's with my kids. Not only does it help them jump in and learn it faster, but it helps me to run the game. It's one thing running a game a little more mechanic heavy when everyone playing has a grasp of the rules, but another when you're teaching people how to play. Right now we're playing a little watered down 5th edition D&D. Works well enough, but we've also played d6 Star Wars, which was an easy system.

I'm also curious about the Fudge system and it seems pretty simple. Plus, after reading the Ask Me Anything on reddit, it looks like the designer geared this game towards fans of the movie rather than rpg players. He created a more or less basic, jump in, super simple ruleset, but then added the option to augment the rules for anyone looking to capture a little more flavor for their combat. I read that the entire cliff-top sword fight was broken down and given as an example for how the mechanics would work.

To be honest, the price is rather steep (but the value does get a little better if they hit their stretch goals) but I'm pretty intrigued. I'll probably pull the trigger on it before the kickstarter is over.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:43 am

I backed it at the book level.

It's actually going pretty well. With 23 days to go they've already reached $36k of their $45k goal, which means they'll likely hit some stretch goals.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 am

Off Topic

I always think Rocket Propelled Grenade when I see RPG.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:08 am

The kickstarter just reached it's $45k goal, which not only means you are assured an actual product, but that there are still 20 days to reach the stretch goals.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 am

Just throwing this out there again if anyone was interested. The Kickstarter has reached its last day and it looks like they'll hit their last stretch goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/to ... escription