MLB 2018

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 am

From MLB dot com:
"According to STATS, San Fransisco Giant's 2nd baseman Joe Panik, who went deep off Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw in Thursday's season opener, is the first Major Leaguer to hit back-to-back solo homers at any juncture of the season to win 1-0 games for his team. The Giants are also the 2nd team in MLB history and the first team since the 1943 Reds to open a season with consecutive 1-0 victories.

"Until Friday night, no major-league team had won back-to-back 1-0 games with the same player hitting a home run in each. Panik’s homer against Clayton Kershaw in the season opener was special. His ninth-inning shot against Kenley Jansen on Friday was a bolt out of the blue."

Image

https://www.mlb.com/news/giants-joe-pan ... -270230822
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: MLB 2018

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:16 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 am
As a T-Mobile customer I was reminded that (starting tomorrow) I can get MLB.TV and MLB At Bat Premium for free. I rarely access the TV games because of the blackout rule, but the At Bat app is pretty nifty. Regardless, it made me realize we didn't have a thread about 2018 yet and opening day is Thursday!

Go Royals!
Tuttle I just wanted to thank you again for the heads up on this as I sit here and watch another Indians game on the iPad.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: MLB 2018

Post by infidel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 am
From MLB dot com:
"According to STATS, San Fransisco Giant's 2nd baseman Joe Panik, who went deep off Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw in Thursday's season opener, is the first Major Leaguer to hit back-to-back solo homers at any juncture of the season to win 1-0 games for his team. The Giants are also the 2nd team in MLB history and the first team since the 1943 Reds to open a season with consecutive 1-0 victories.

"Until Friday night, no major-league team had won back-to-back 1-0 games with the same player hitting a home run in each. Panik’s homer against Clayton Kershaw in the season opener was special. His ninth-inning shot against Kenley Jansen on Friday was a bolt out of the blue."
Baseball fans sure know how to dress up meaningless statistics into something that sounds "special", I'll give you that much.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 861
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: MLB 2018

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Finally the Indians found some offense to go with the great beginning of the season pitching they have had. :taco:
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:42 pm

Willie Mays turned 87 today. He had a record 7083 put outs as a center fielder. The next closest out fielder is Ichiro, but he had only 5000 put outs.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am

Out of the blue the G's have this young fella appear on the scene, flame thrower Derick Rodriguez, son of Hall of Famer Ivan Rodriguez. He pitches his first start today after Stratton & Suarez blanked the Phils twice. And Bumgarner is back on Tuesday. And power hitter Mac Williamson is back in left, and Joe Panik is also returned. Most all the pieces to the puzzle seem to be back in place.

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Most awesome of all time putouts from Major League outfielders......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ctPAqt_wk
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:50 am

Yankees and Red Sox have some battle going on between them this year. And they have buried Baltimore nearly 30 games out of 1st place and it's not yet July
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am

Another Dodger/ Giant bench-clearing brawl last night, and yes involving Yasiel Puig again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgETwPy9fM
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5915
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: MLB 2018

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:12 pm

I am not superstitious, but this is sports so that’s different, right?

When I played I had game cleats and practice cleats, and I would never mix them.

My roommate had a sprained wrist taped before a post-season game we won freshman year; he taped his wrist before every post-season game for the next four years.

So, I’m not going to say anything.
But you might want to take a peek at the NL West standings.

Just sayin’ ...

:whistling:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7276
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:12 pm
I am not superstitious, but this is sports so that’s different, right?

When I played I had game cleats and practice cleats, and I would never mix them.

My roommate had a sprained wrist taped before a post-season game we won freshman year; he taped his wrist before every post-season game for the next four years.

So, I’m not going to say anything.
But you might want to take a peek at the NL West standings.

Just sayin’ ...

:whistling:
The Giants I see are sinking, and/ or stinking.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35358
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: MLB 2018

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 am

Its weird seeing the Cubs and Astros in 1st this late in the season.

Weird.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5915
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: MLB 2018

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am

So, all the Rockies needed were a couple of split series, win a series, on the road in California to stay in the thick of it,
and they lose the series against the Giants and get swept by the Dodgers.

Now, they need a miracle. Or two.

There is no joy in Mudville, Colorado.
Might Casey has struck out.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11547
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Gabriel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:26 am

The Cards have played some great baseball once they finally got going (in August). Unfortunately they're in a conference with the Cubs and the Brewers, both of which rarely lose. The Cards won 22 games in August and didn't gain on the Cubs at all. We might see 3 teams from the NL Central in the post season.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35358
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: MLB 2018

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 am
Its weird seeing the Cubs and Astros in 1st this late in the season.

Weird.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5915
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: MLB 2018

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:44 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 am
Its weird seeing the Cubs and Astros in 1st this late in the season.

Weird.
It’s the New Normal.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35358
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: MLB 2018

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:44 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 am
Its weird seeing the Cubs and Astros in 1st this late in the season.

Weird.
It’s the New Normal.
Well good for them. The Cubs had a long, dry season for sure.

It has also been weird to not see the Cardinals start creeping up the standings in September. I always took that as a sign of fall.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5915
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: MLB 2018

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Cubs Rockies Wild Card game is going on long past my bedtime!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21169
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: MLB 2018

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:44 pm
Cubs Rockies Wild Card game is going on long past my bedtime!
It's Rocktober baby!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5915
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: MLB 2018

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:43 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:44 pm
Cubs Rockies Wild Card game is going on long past my bedtime!
It's Rocktober baby!
Yup!
I've got a long-sleeve Rocktober Tee shirt from 2007 I'm going to have to dig out.

What a game!
Milt Walkee next.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Post Reply