Ketogenic lifestyle

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Pipeweed
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Ketogenic lifestyle

Post by Pipeweed » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

I’ve been on Keto since December, and have lost 30 lbs so far. Keto is great. I feel better, though I also had to buy all new clothes. One downside is that the food choices are very limited. I do get tired of eating the same few things every day.

But Ihave more energy, feel great, and am wearing medium shirts again! First time in 20 years.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Pipeweed wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm
I’ve been on Keto since December, and have lost 30 lbs so far. Keto is great. I feel better, though I also had to buy all new clothes. One downside is that the food choices are very limited. I do get tired of eating the same few things every day.

But Ihave more energy, feel great, and am wearing medium shirts again! First time in 20 years.
Congratulations. I think the last time I wore a medium shirt I was 12.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am

I definitely have keto breath. I kind of like it. Weird.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm down 19# in under 3 weeks, the mental clarity is magnificent, much more energy and sleeping much better.

Carry on.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

How are you posting from the deep freeze?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Preacher1611
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Preacher1611 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 am

I've already implemented some dietary changes and have started a different excersize program, (more weight-lifting), I'm thinking about adding ketogenic fasting to my routine. You guys have any tips?
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." - Eccl. 12:13

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am

I've been doing the paleo thing, and intermittent fasting. Lost 40 pounds last year, but put a few back on. I'm back on the plan now. It is harder to stick to when you live with and cook for other people. My only tip is to find the foods you like and keep plenty of them around, so you are not tempted to eat the stuff the rest of your family eats. I love roasts, and soups, good cheese, eggs. I make deviled eggs and keep them around for snacks. I love that pork rinds are a health food now...
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Preacher1611 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 am
I've already implemented some dietary changes and have started a different excersize program, (more weight-lifting), I'm thinking about adding ketogenic fasting to my routine. You guys have any tips?
I'd recommend getting your body into ketosis first, you'll need plenty of rest and possibly a few days to allow your body to adjust.

Then you can add intermittent fasting and after a while when you've adjusted you can add some weight training.

If you try too much at once you're likely to quit it all.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Preacher1611
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Preacher1611 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:15 pm
Preacher1611 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 am
I'd recommend getting your body into ketosis first, you'll need plenty of rest and possibly a few days to allow your body to adjust.

Then you can add intermittent fasting and after a while when you've adjusted you can add some weight training.

If you try too much at once you're likely to quit it all.
Thanks, as I continue with my research into this I'll definitely keep this in mind. Weight training I've been doing on and off for years, I'm just trying to get into a more steady routine.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." - Eccl. 12:13

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:10 am

I haven't weighed in in quite a while but I've shrunk a shirt size and my pants are way too big, need a new wardrobe it seems.

I haven't cheated even once because this diet leaves you feeling full and the carb cravings disappear after a few days.

I'm heading to the dr.today and am curious what kind of weight loss has happened.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am
Keto breath? What is that?

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:09 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:10 am
I haven't cheated even once...
That's the trick.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm
Cleon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am
Keto breath? What is that?
It’s toxic.

Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Post by Jester » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:20 am

My wife is tired of me talking about the gut I formed over the last three years. Last Thursday she complied a grocery list and a food plan to get me on the keto diet. I am completely on board with this. She put a lot of time and money into switching me over.

It's funny that she picked this diet because I didn't suggest it. We watched a documentary a couple weeks ago on Netflix called The Magic Pill. I think that really interested her to go for it. She told me she won't go 100% but I plan to.

A true keto diet of a person my size is 50g of carbs a day. This is going to be the hardest part for me because 50 carbs is one muffin. Carbs are in everything, a healthy "energy" bar is 37g alone. A banana is 27g!

I brought two boiled eggs and two fat bombs to work today. Pray I stick with it.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

My first thought is that our schools should encourage more teens to develop a relationship with Christ and take up pipe-smoking. -Del

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:20 am
My wife is tired of me talking about the gut I formed over the last three years. Last Thursday she complied a grocery list and a food plan to get me on the keto diet. I am completely on board with this. She put a lot of time and money into switching me over.

It's funny that she picked this diet because I didn't suggest it. We watched a documentary a couple weeks ago on Netflix called The Magic Pill. I think that really interested her to go for it. She told me she won't go 100% but I plan to.

A true keto diet of a person my size is 50g of carbs a day. This is going to be the hardest part for me because 50 carbs is one muffin. Carbs are in everything, a healthy "energy" bar is 37g alone. A banana is 27g!

I brought two boiled eggs and two fat bombs to work today. Pray I stick with it.
Well done. Stick with it, you can do it, you'll not only feel better, the weight will fly off in no time.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:18 pm

I think I'm going to try soon ... but I can't get my wife on board. So I'll probably fall off the wagon again. hmmm
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:26 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:18 pm
I think I'm going to try soon ... but I can't get my wife on board. So I'll probably fall off the wagon again. hmmm
I'm flying solo on the keto diet, the wife tried it for a couple of days then wimped out.

The other day I asked her if she really "needs" the ice cream she was eating. For some reason she became enraged?¿!?

Jester
A terrible Raquel Welch
A terrible Raquel Welch

Post by Jester » Tue May 01, 2018 8:41 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:56 pm
Well done. Stick with it, you can do it, you'll not only feel better, the weight will fly off in no time.
I had a successful first day. I downloaded an app called Carb Manager. It allows you to select your diet and how much you want to lose a week (or gain). They have a huge selection of pre-loaded foods with nutrition facts plugged in for a variety of different serving sizes. After you get everything plugged in it pulls a pie chart showing Carbs/Protein/Fats. This app eliminated my biggest worry of not knowing what I was taking in.

Yesterday I was 70.8%Fats/24.2% Protein/5% Carbs.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

My first thought is that our schools should encourage more teens to develop a relationship with Christ and take up pipe-smoking. -Del

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:26 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:18 pm
I'm flying solo on the keto diet, the wife tried it for a couple of days then wimped out.

The other day I asked her if she really "needs" the ice cream she was eating. For some reason she became enraged?¿!?
You married guys ... :taco:
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm

So, I've been trying this since Monday. My biggest gripe so far (other than the fact that I REALLY miss bread and potatoes) is that without the carbs my meals don't seem to stick with me very long. I feel like I'm staying hungry even though I'm eating a fair amount.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad