Ketogenic lifestyle

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Re: Ketogenic lifestyle

Post by JMG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 pm

I've been off the diet for 1 1/2 weeks now. I'm sweating on this job so much I'm going through about 4 shirts a day and need the carbs. Not to mention that I have little time for lunch so really I'm just grabbing fast food. I'll jump back on as soon as this job's done...well, when it's done I'm going to have a beer. Then I'll get back on.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:52 am

I tend to eat something close to Keto or Mediterranean diet even though I'm not officially "on a diet" or have any specific goals other than to eat healthy.

My meals lately mainly consist of fish (canned mackeral, which is inexpensive) and other protein sources (e.x. black beans, chia seeds), and lots of healthy fats (e.x. olive oil, peanuts, etc).

I find that cutting most red meat or cheese out of my diet helps me keep the grocery budget down if nothing else.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Back on the wagon. 2 meals in a row. :bacon:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Bobm5586
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Bobm5586 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I've spent 7 months on a keto diet and lost. 50lbs. I've started gaining it back and went back on low carb diet two weeks ago and already lost 6lbs

artsygeek
Congregation
Congregation

Post by artsygeek » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm

I've simply made sure my calorie intake is less than my calorie use by physical activity and I'm 1 pound shy of losing 50 pounds in 5 months! Calorie management is much more important than dietary makeup.
"Anyone alive has hope; even a live dog is better off than a dead lion!" Ecclesiastes/Qoheleth 9:4

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 pm
I'll be starting over tomorrow.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:47 pm

artsygeek wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm
I've simply made sure my calorie intake is less than my calorie use by physical activity and I'm 1 pound shy of losing 50 pounds in 5 months! Calorie management is much more important than dietary makeup.
In some cases that is true. In my case with my arthritis, carbs absolutely destroy me. No carbs, almost no pain.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 pm
John-Boy wrote:
4 meals in a row. Woohoo!
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:20 am

John-Boy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 am
JimVH wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Well done. I Did a few days worth of meal prep last night. That should get me over the hump.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:20 am
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:40 am
JimVH wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Well done. I Did a few days worth of meal prep last night. That should get me over the hump.
I'll come by for lunch on Saturday.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Were going out to a fancy pants place for anniversary dinner in an hour.

I grabbed my wedding clothes from last year out of the closet and they're WAY TOO BIG..

I have no other nice clothes so the wife suggested that I just pull up the pants around my midsection like an old man does.

So now I wearing them old man style with belt cinched up super tight.

#Ketoblessingandcurse
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:58 am

I guess this is a diet keto avacodo:
Praying - coco

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:52 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:03 pm
Ketogenic way of life.

I've started on a ketogenic diet. If you've not heard about keto, its basically a high fat, moderate protein and low carb way of eating.

Keto diet is around 75-80% healthy fats, 15-20% protein and around 5% carbs.

As many of you may or may not know, I went on a Mediterranean diet a while back. I had lab and blood work done before and again sometime after.

Weight was down, blood pressure down, cholesterol was a little high still but still good enough to avoid meds. My blood sugar was up tho, presumably from the fruit. Carb consumption was very high on the Mediterranean diet.

I've switched to the keto diet which is in short just cutting carbs, limiting protein and upping healthy fats and this puts your body in ketosis, while in ketosis, your body burns body fat instead of stored glucose.

You will not be hungry and you will lose weight and gain energy at the same time. This will end carb cravings and food addiction.

It's a great diet for overweight individuals, diabetics, as it gets blood sugar and insulin levels back under control, folks wanting to drop blood pressure and cholesterol and many other health benefits.

It's not a "diet" per se, it's a lifestyle change. I've seen and read of morbidly obese persons safely losing over 100 pounds in under a year, without hunger and WITH eating LOTS OF CHEESE AND BACON! :cheese: :bacon:

Check it out!
I've heard of it, my diet has consisted of a lot of healthy fats and oils, though I've been more interested in the Zone diet as of late, which is a bit lower on the fat proportions.

JMG

Post by JMG » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:08 pm

I'm back on the wagon as of yesterday. It's tough as there are still plenty of holiday carbs floating around the house. Really want to drop 15 before we head back to PNG towards the end of February.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:39 pm

I've surprisingly managed to hold fast at 225#. Going to get back on the wagon myself starting this week. New job is going to make it really tough though.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 am

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:39 pm
I've surprisingly managed to hold fast at 225#. Going to get back on the wagon myself starting this week. New job is going to make it really tough though.
New job?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:38 am

JMG wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 am
SlowToke wrote:
New job?
Docent at the Obama Presidential Library?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 pm

JMG wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
New job?
Yeah, I left the hospital admin job for the medical device industry. Wasn't looking to change but my head was hunted and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had been working as an independent contractor/consultant for the company on the side for several months. The only real downside is that the job requires a good bit of travel which means eating on the road which is difficult for the keto diet. On the upside, though, if I can find keto friendly food, corporate pays for it. :D 8)
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JMG

Post by JMG » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 pm
JMG wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
New job?
Yeah, I left the hospital admin job for the medical device industry. Wasn't looking to change but my head was hunted and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I had been working as an independent contractor/consultant for the company on the side for several months. The only real downside is that the job requires a good bit of travel which means eating on the road which is difficult for the keto diet. On the upside, though, if I can find keto friendly food, corporate pays for it. :D 8)
Don't forget to check the supermarkets for the delis. I have been finding a lot of them having great plate lunches. While we've been home this time I've picked up a lot or carpentry work and often find myself out and about during lunch and have gone the blue plate route. Some decent baked chicken with a side of turnip greens isn't bad. Also, you can usually find already made salads and can get one of the rotisserie chickens to go with it. Just a thought.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:04 am

JMG wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 pm
JMG wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
New job?
Don't forget to check the supermarkets for the delis. I have been finding a lot of them having great plate lunches. While we've been home this time I've picked up a lot or carpentry work and often find myself out and about during lunch and have gone the blue plate route. Some decent baked chicken with a side of turnip greens isn't bad. Also, you can usually find already made salads and can get one of the rotisserie chickens to go with it. Just a thought.
This is good and don't forget three words...BBQ
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD