Ketogenic lifestyle

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Ketogenic lifestyle

Post by Jocose » Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 pm

JMG wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm
So, I've been trying this since Monday. My biggest gripe so far (other than the fact that I REALLY miss bread and potatoes) is that without the carbs my meals don't seem to stick with me very long. I feel like I'm staying hungry even though I'm eating a fair amount.
I've had the opposite reaction. I've not once experienced hunger and have felt satiated from day one.

I've not had a craving for carbs or sugar after day 2 or so.

Are you getting enough fats?

Fat intake is crucial.

Up to 80% of your calories should be from healthy fats which should keep hunger under control.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 pm
JMG wrote:
So, I've been trying this since Monday. My biggest gripe so far (other than the fact that I REALLY miss bread and potatoes) is that without the carbs my meals don't seem to stick with me very long. I feel like I'm staying hungry even though I'm eating a fair amount.
I've had the opposite reaction. I've not once experienced hunger and have felt satiated from day one.

Fat intake is crucial.

Up to 80% of your calories should be from healthy fats which should keep hunger under control.
Today I ate 4 strips of bacon (pretty thin) and three eggs, a couple decent sized salads with a little Ranch (mix leaves) half a red bell pepper mixed in, some sandwich meat with some cheese as a snack, some blackberries I picked from the yard, and some chicken with fresh garlic and broccoli for supper. However, if I'm honest I'm having a dram of Scotch right now, as well.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 am

I was doing Keto during a strategic deconditioning cycle in my workout routines. It lasted a little over 3 weeks. Lost a few pounds like I wanted to with no exercising.

It is extremely hard for me to do keto while doing regular strength and cardio training. I just need the energy that carbs provide so I have slowly reintroduced carbs. Still avoiding added sugar or white flour. Oats, brown rice, and sweet potatoes are the main go to carbs (and a little milk). I feel good, so I think that will be my cycle: Low carb will be regular for me. No carb on periods of deconditioning. Still watch my overall calories in relationship to what I'm burning. One side affect of reintroducing some carbs, at least for me, was lots of gas the first couple of days.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 am

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm
Cleon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am
I definitely have keto breath. I kind of like it. Weird.
Keto breath? What is that?
My breath smelled sort of chemically and sweet. It's hard to explain. I could "feel" my breath in my throat, if that makes sense.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri May 11, 2018 2:18 pm

JMG wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:39 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 pm
JMG wrote:

Fat intake is crucial.

Today I ate 4 strips of bacon (pretty thin) and three eggs, a couple decent sized salads with a little Ranch (mix leaves) half a red bell pepper mixed in, some sandwich meat with some cheese as a snack, some blackberries I picked from the yard, and some chicken with fresh garlic and broccoli for supper. However, if I'm honest I'm having a dram of Scotch right now, as well.
You may consider upping the fats. Lots of EVOO, avocados, grass fed butter, coconut oil, salmon, sardines etc.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 am

Eat more protein and less fat. You'll be more full.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am

I am familiar with Atkins.
So Ketogenic is similar but allows more vegetables but no cheese, basically?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JMG

Post by JMG » Sat May 12, 2018 11:22 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am
I'm pretty sure you can have cheese on keto. If not, I've been doing this first week really incorrectly...but still down 6-7 lbs in 6 days.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat May 12, 2018 12:39 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 am
Eat more protein and less fat. You'll be more full.
The body converts excess protein into glucose, and so too much can throw you out of ketosis.

This diet requires more planning than I first thought.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat May 12, 2018 12:48 pm

coco wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:39 pm
I'm studying it. That's what I do. Everybody says you need to start with a plan. I suppose after a while you might be able to free style, but you can't wing it to start.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG

Post by JMG » Sat May 12, 2018 2:55 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:48 pm
coco wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:39 pm
I'm studying it. That's what I do. Everybody says you need to start with a plan. I suppose after a while you might be able to free style, but you can't wing it to start.
I'm more of a "jump in head first and ruin it all" sort of guy. I've just been trying to not eat "carby" things and eat more meats and LOTS of veggies (a crap ton more greens than usual...thankfully I like plain spinach leaves) OH...and a buttload of mushrooms and eggs. I'm probably eating too much protein. However, the weight is beginning to come off regardless.

That being said, my body is not loving it to much. The last three days or so I have about an hour spell where my energy level crashes and I feel like if I don't take a nap I may just fall over. Also, with the exception of the 30 minutes to an hour after a meal I am always hungry. I really think that this is mostly due to my body trying to (and hating ever minute of it) adjust to not eating a very carb heavy diet. I never realized how much bread and potatoes I ate until now. Also, realizing that I was eating way to many empty calories like potato chips...GOOD GRIEF WHAT I WOULDN'T GIVE FOR A PARTY SIZED BAG OF DORITOS!!!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat May 12, 2018 6:41 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am
In a nutshell the Keto diet is around 75-80% healthy fats, 15-20% protein and around 5% carbs.

The science is that the body learns to use fat as an energy source rather than glucose.

The Wests diet is so messed up it's not even funny. Keto is a life changer.

It's a diet of real food and absolutely no processed foods, which make us fat and sick.

EDIT: CHEESE IS A MUST ON KETO

JMG

Post by JMG » Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 pm

This was my supper tonight: 2 brats with sauteed (in eevo) green bell pepper, onion, and little jalapeño. For desert I had a bowl of whipped heavy cream with a cup of blueberries. Lunch I had some sliced up leftover steak that was cooked on the grill over a spinach leaf salad. Breakfast was half an omelet with baby Portobello mushrooms and a little goat cheese. I did have a snack around 3 of a couple slices of deli turkey with a piece of cheese.

Anything wrong with my meals today? Anything I need to change? OH...I did one small swig of milk. It just looked so stinking good!

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat May 12, 2018 7:09 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 pm
This was my supper tonight: 2 brats with sauteed (in eevo) green bell pepper, onion, and little jalapeño. For desert I had a bowl of whipped heavy cream with a cup of blueberries. Lunch I had some sliced up leftover steak that was cooked on the grill over a spinach leaf salad. Breakfast was half an omelet with baby Portobello mushrooms and a little goat cheese. I did have a snack around 3 of a couple slices of deli turkey with a piece of cheese.

Anything wrong with my meals today? Anything I need to change? OH...I did one small swig of milk. It just looked so stinking good!

From what I've read... EVOO is not suitable for high heat cooking, same for butter. Believe it or not Lard is recommended for cooking. I use lard and or coconut oil for sauteing stuff.

Drink heavy cream instead of milk.

EDIT: coco will take offense with the goat cheese.

JMG

Post by JMG » Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:09 pm
JMG wrote:

From what I've read... EVOO is not suitable for high heat cooking, same for butter. Believe it or not Lard is recommended for cooking. I use lard and or coconut oil for sauteing stuff.

I've never had any problems with EEVO or butter while sauteing. What are the problems with it?

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 pm
Jocose wrote:
JMG wrote:

I've never had any problems with EEVO or butter while sauteing. What are the problems with it?
I dunno. Something about low smoke point and stuff. Used at high heat will release bad stuff or something.

JMG

Post by JMG » Sun May 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 pm
JMG wrote:
Jocose wrote:
JMG wrote:

I dunno. Something about low smoke point and stuff. Used at high heat will release bad stuff or something.
Pish Posh.

Today's lunch...and supper...

I got a huge hunk of beef for 12 or 14 bucks (can't remember) from the discounted section. Brought it home and cut it up to freeze. Enough for about a week's meals.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm

JMG wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:08 pm
Jocose wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 pm
JMG wrote:
Jocose wrote:
JMG wrote:

Pish Posh.

Today's lunch...and supper...

I got a huge hunk of beef for 12 or 14 bucks (can't remember) from the discounted section. Brought it home and cut it up to freeze. Enough for about a week's meals.
:chili:

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I've not cheated yet. I've not had any processed food or bad carbs in over 30 days.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed May 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Jocose wrote:I've not cheated yet. I've not had any processed food or bad carbs in over 30 days.

How much weight have you lost?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty