Mocking birds...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5763
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Mocking birds...

Post by JMG » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:46 pm

are kind of b-holes.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27285
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:57 pm

JMG wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:46 pm
are kind of b-holes.
That's why they get killed. Mock this, you <zederated> bird!

*BLAM*

One each avian b-hole out of service.

For good.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6114
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 pm

is one word.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9297
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

I like-em. No, not grilled or fried. I like-em around the house, day or night.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 6889
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm

We don't have them in Arizona's Sonoran Desert. Have lots of birds, but not them.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21660
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 pm

It's fun watching them dive bomb the neighborhood cats.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27285
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:43 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm
We don't have them in Arizona's Sonoran Desert. Have lots of birds, but not them.
Palo Verde Beatles are not birds. Just sayin'.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9297
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 11, 2018 8:49 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 pm
It's fun watching them dive bomb the neighborhood cats.
A pair were dive bombing a 3' long snake yesterday, and it was really neat watching the snake leap into the air as the birds swept over it. The snake crossed a ditch and got into some tall weeds and that was it, and the birds went on about their business. And they've got the calls of the chuck-wills-widow down so well, the real chuck-wills-widows don't even bother any more.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 6889
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 am

I remember there being a whole mess of Mockingbirds in SW Michigan where I went to grad school.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5446
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by MrPiper » Sat May 12, 2018 9:25 am

I am amazed at these little guys. At TinyPiper's dorm, there is one that has been there long enough to mimic local sounds. It often sounds off so clearly like a car alarm it is almost indistinguishable. They are fun to have around.

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8597
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by SlowToke » Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm
I like-em. No, not grilled or fried. I like-em around the house, day or night.
Me too. I don't see them all that often around our place for some reason. We get lots of birds but mockingbirds don't come around too often here. The oriole is another one I like but don't see too often.

Woodpeckers, however, are plentiful and they are b-holes.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5763
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by JMG » Sun May 13, 2018 8:01 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm
I like-em. No, not grilled or fried. I like-em around the house, day or night.
Me too. I don't see them all that often around our place for some reason. We get lots of birds but mockingbirds don't come around too often here. The oriole is another one I like but don't see too often.

Woodpeckers, however, are plentiful and they are b-holes.
They are the state bird of the great state of Mississippi so they are a plenty here. Those little suckers are always running off the other birds that I like watching...little punks.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21660
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by JimVH » Sun May 13, 2018 8:48 am

JMG wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:01 am
SlowToke wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm
I like-em. No, not grilled or fried. I like-em around the house, day or night.
Me too. I don't see them all that often around our place for some reason. We get lots of birds but mockingbirds don't come around too often here. The oriole is another one I like but don't see too often.

Woodpeckers, however, are plentiful and they are b-holes.
They are the state bird of the great state of Mississippi so they are a plenty here. Those little suckers are always running off the other birds that I like watching...little punks.
They are little bullies. We've had a noticeable increase in hawk traffic in the last couple of years, though, and the mocking birds aren't quite as bold or numerous as they used to be.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9297
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 am

In our back yard this morning:

https://youtu.be/ePZ0jhGtHi0
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28295
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by coco » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am

They are eating my tomatoes.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 34728
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 am

No surprise, really:

Image

But then, not just Texas:

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 15597
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Mocking birds...

Post by gaining_age » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:00 am

Would this be the wrong thread to discuss the Grackle?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Post Reply