Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am

I've been on a resurgent Mel Brooks kick as of late and whether it's because I'm older or because our culture is darker, or a combo of the two, whatever the case, I'm finding Brooks to be funnier than ever. The chaos, the zippy jokes, breaking the fourth wall, etc. All classic Brooks. Last night, watching "Men in Tights", I cracked up when the Abbot's staff hits the camera, even though I'd seen it fifteen times.

But something that's struck me re-watching these films is that we, as a culture, have lost (wait...we haven't lost it. We've suppressed it. Crammed it into a little box and shoved it away in our closet) the ability to laugh at ourselves and each other. At this Brooks was/is a master. He freely and boldly satirizes everything we hold near and dear (things the culture now holds with a death-grip or uses as a weapon). He's the master at it because no one gets off scot-free. It's not mean spirited because he's poking all of humanity. Sort of a meta self-deprecation.

But this kind of comedy (at least to the extent/quality of Brooks) is dead. (Mel himself said this last year: source!) The last movie he directed was "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" in 1995. 23 years ago! There's no way any of these movies would be (allowed to be) made today, and I think it's because our society doesn't know how to laugh at itself anymore. We've lost the ability to laugh at each other. If that reveals nothing else, it at least reveals that it's a symptom of a disease. If laughter is the best medicine, it's obvious that our society has refused to take their pills. It's a sign of a lazy society that places a childish (not child-like) importance on seriousness. We've bought into the lie that seriousness is a virtue.
G.K. Chesterton wrote:Seriousness is not a virtue. It would be a heresy, but a much more sensible heresy, to say that seriousness is a vice. It is really a natural trend or lapse into taking one's self gravely, because it is the easiest thing to do. It is much easier to write a good TIMES leading article than a good joke in PUNCH. For solemnity flows out of men naturally; but laughter is a leap. It is easy to be heavy: hard to be light. Satan fell by the force of gravity.
That's good. It's easy to be heavy: hard to be light. But because it takes effort to leap, it gives me a little hope that we can re-learn to laugh again in this way. It's easy to get bogged down and tangled up in the weeds of our serious society, but it takes a bit of effort to get ourselves untangled. If we look a little silly when we attempt it, and even fall down, for the love of God, let's at least let that be the beginning point of being able to laugh at ourselves in the attempt.

In that article I linked to above Brooks says this: "Comedy has to walk a thin line, take risks. It's the lecherous little elf whispering in the king's ear, telling the truth about human behaviour."

Now he doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, (he even echoes Chesterton, walking a thin line is harder than a broad street) but that doesn't make it any less true. Comedy, really funny comedy, like really good fiction, tells the truth about human behavior. Seen in that light, it's no wonder movies like his aren't made anymore. Our society can't handle comedy because it can't handle the truth!

Now for the Christian, two things are evident: 1) The Gospel is the answer/solution to everything; and 2) truth telling is part of the job description. This leads me to believe that the people who should be laughing at themselves the most ought to be the church. (Is it any wonder that the Babylon Bee has made such a splash?) If we are held firm in the hands of Jesus, we have the freedom to be laughing our heads off. We have the freedom to be zany and playful, and to invite everyone to get in on the joke. The answer to a broken world cannot omit humor. Broken people need humor. And the sooner the church catches on to this, and not as a fad, but as a fish to water, the brighter the truth will shine.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester

Re: Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Post by Jester » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 am

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

You sure take this seriously, man :bacon:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:30 pm

I saw part of History of the World, part 1 the other night.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm

infidel wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm
You sure take this seriously, man :bacon:
You just read it in the wrong tone of voice :D
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:56 pm

"It's good to be the king.".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Pipeson goes on short monologues just like the OP. He adores Mel Brooks.

"One day, the news headline is going announce that Mel Brooks has passed away. And I won't be able to handle it."

"Mel Brooks made his last movie some 20 years ago, and no one has come close to making a funny movie since then."

"You can't make movies like Mel Brooks did anymore. People can't laugh anymore. We only know how to be offended."

Meanwhile, Pipeson remains the happiest young man I know. He laughs -- all the time. He literally "cracks himself up." He lets out bursts of uncontrollable laughter at just about any silly thing. Every day, he encounters his newest "BEST THING EVER!"

His old roommate encounter Pipeson streaming comedy songs on Pandora and said, "That's what I always thought the radio in [Pipeson]-topia would sound like."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

I, for one, just don't find Mel Brooks very funny.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm

infidel wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Jester wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm
infidel wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm
:zzz:

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:56 pm
"It's good to be the king.".
“My Lord, you look just like the piss-boy!”
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm

I was in a discussion just the other day where a friend wondered whether a film like Blazing Saddles could be released today. We pretty much all agreed that, sadly, it could not. I commented that irreverent performers like Joan Rivers and Don Rickles would be run off every college campus in the country. I've always thought that laughing at our stereotypical differences shows that, in fact, we have more commonalities than differences. But, by highlighting and laughing at the stereotypes we acknowledge that there are indeed cultural differences but that's a good thing.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Let's all remember that racial slurs, while maybe hilarious to some here, are not acceptable under the ToS: app.php/rules

If you want to make those comments or use that humor then please make use of PMs.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm

That oversensitive reaction came much quicker than I thought it would. Racial slurs? You ought to step off campus once in a while.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 pm

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:45 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm
That oversensitive reaction came much quicker than I thought it would. Racial slurs? You ought to step off campus once in a while.
FYI - The slur was in a post Bob removed. That may or may not have been clear.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm
I would like to talk about the "oversensitive reaction" you mentioned. I realize that many people use racial slurs in America but speaking them in a private context is different than recording them in a public forum. Now many of us are here anonymously but there is an owner of record. What happens if CPS is labeled a hate site? To FredS (and me for that matter) nothing, really. To Munkey, however, that would be very different. Munkey, as the owner of record, may be held responsible for these comments in ways that are not even clear today.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm
I was in a discussion just the other day where a friend wondered whether a film like Blazing Saddles could be released today. We pretty much all agreed that, sadly, it could not. I commented that irreverent performers like Joan Rivers and Don Rickles would be run off every college campus in the country. I've always thought that laughing at our stereotypical differences shows that, in fact, we have more commonalities than differences. But, by highlighting and laughing at the stereotypes we acknowledge that there are indeed cultural differences but that's a good thing.

Hidden Content
You have a semblance of a point about cultural differences and stereotypes...

Hidden Content

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm

The solution to this is very simple . . .
Everyone needs more Jewish friends. The wine sucks, but the laughter never stops.

My cousin Robert whose mother is Catholic and father is Jewish used to be a comic. He began his sets, always, with this joke:

"My mother is Catholic and my father is Jewish. Ordinarily it's not a problem, but when I go to confession. Well. It goes like this, 'Forgive me Father, for I have sinned . . . and of course you remember my lawyer, Mr. Goldberg.'"

Brooks' films, his humor, are loaded with Jewish culture, Jewish allusions, the history of Jewish (and by intentional implication all oppressed people's) persecution [The Inquisition, The Inquisition . . .], even outright Yiddish. My favorite moment in Blazing Saddles comes when the Indian Chief (Mel Brooks) rides up to a wagon far off the back of the wagon train and with a thoughtful look of recognition on his face says, "Schwarzers!" Yiddish slang for African Americans.

One of his party raises a weapon. He calms him saying, "Zayt nisht messhugga." (Don't be crazy.) Loz I'm gayn. (Let 'em go.)
Before leaving them, he nods and says, "A bie gessint." A Yiddish parting that means, be healthy, or go in health.

And after they're gone, "They're darker than us."

So many levels there.

An Indian speaking Yiddish. The black family having to ride at the "back of the bus." Three marginalized groups involved in the same joke: Jews, African Americans and Native Americans. And throughout the film, clearly the most suave and sophisticated character in the film, the best lover, the truly good man amonq liars, cheats, scoundrels, racists, uneducated hicks and fools: the black sheriff.

Lily von Schtupp (schtupp is Yiddish for sex). She's a Nazi. She falls desperately in love with the black sheriff. Why? Because he's ten times the man any of her Nazi lovers are. "They're always coming and going, and coming and going, and coming and always too soon."

Monte Python are funny. Very funny.
Mel Brooks is funnier - for all the reasons Tuttle suggests. Not just funny hahah. We're human, we're fallible, but we can learn funny.

Sorry Infidel.
You really need more Jewish friends.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm
Sorry Infidel.
You really need more Jewish friends.
Yeah, probably, but I haven't found any working in IT. Atheists to the left of me, Hindus to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle without Jews.

Now that's funny :chili: