Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 pm

+JMJ+
infidel wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm
Sorry Infidel.
You really need more Jewish friends.
Yeah, probably, but I haven't found any working in IT. Atheists to the left of me, Hindus to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle without Jews.

Now that's funny :chili:
They're always in the News. You wouldn't know that reading CPS, though.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:17 pm

wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 pm
+JMJ+
infidel wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Sorry Infidel.
Yeah, probably, but I haven't found any working in IT. Atheists to the left of me, Hindus to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle without Jews.

Do you know why? Sometime ago Pepik was conducting some basic security checks when he discovered something:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

So he went into action. Remember when Google Search didn't work on the site? He shut out access, cleaned up the threads, and waited 3 months for the spider word searchs to expire.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 pm

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:17 pm
wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 pm
infidel wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Sorry Infidel.

Do you know why? Sometime ago Pepik was conducting some basic security checks when he discovered something:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

So he went into action. Remember when Google Search didn't work on the site? He shut out access, cleaned up the threads, and waited 3 months for the spider word searchs to expire.
:chili:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 pm

infidel wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Sorry Infidel.

:bacon: :bacon: :chili: :chili: :cheese: :cheese: :taco: :taco:

Yup. That's funny.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:39 pm

This thread is more or less exemplifying my point. :whistling:
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 pm

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:39 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Feel free to laugh long and hard at yourselves. However, keep in mind that what you find humorous about others is more telling about you than them.

That is all.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm
Feel free to laugh long and hard at yourselves. However, keep in mind that what you find humorous about others is more telling about you than them.

That is all.
Indeed. If one laughs at others then one should be able to identify and laugh at their own foibles. I would. If I had any.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 am

tuttle wrote:
Now that's funny!
No truer words posted.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:09 am

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 am

Rednecks and Hillbillies (there is a difference) are about the only two groups I know of that don't take themselves too seriously. I submit Jeff Foxworthy.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 am
Rednecks and Hillbillies (there is a difference) are about the only two groups I know of that don't take themselves too seriously. I submit Jeff Foxworthy.
When I first met Micah - from AR - he made sure I knew he self-identified as a hillbilly not a redneck. I - being from KS - took the redneck role as it's the best fit for me. We rode in his car for 20 minutes and didn't kill each other.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:16 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 pm
+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
H'yup.

Pipeson and I were talking last night. I mentioned that we had a Mel Brooks thread going.... Hearty old Mel is 91 years old now.

We were brainstorming about any funny movies that have been made since Mel Brooks retired from directing.

Jackie Chan was always good for some comic action. But his exception proves the point of this thread: puritanical woke Americans are unable to laugh at ourselves. Jackie Chan can have fun with stereotypes.... he doesn't take himself so seriously. He's no Mel Brooks, though. Good for a laugh, but nothing classic.

Ben Stiller starred in some good, funny movies. There's Something About Mary. Zoolander. Those were 20 years ago or more.

I wonder if Hollywood can even make a funny movie now? They are the leaders of this culture that can't get over itself.
Last edited by Del on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del

Post by Del » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:57 am
Roadmaster wrote:
When I first met Micah - from AR - he made sure I knew he self-identified as a hillbilly not a redneck. I - being from KS - took the redneck role as it's the best fit for me. We rode in his car for 20 minutes and didn't kill each other.
Rednecks and hillbillies are not classes that are set against each other by the intersectional order. You are both deplorable, right?

In 20 minutes, I'll bet that you and Micah found plenty to laugh about.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Rednecks and hillbillies are not classes that are set against each other by the intersectional order. You are both deplorable, right?

Our ride was during the mega-meet-up in Kansas City a few years ago. We rode from Zeds house to the cigar shop, with a stop at the liquor store along the way. Then we drove to the BBQ joint down in the hood where we crashed a wake. That was a good day.

As for cultural differences between hillbillies and rednecks we joke that the other group has more preponderance towards trailer parks, women with the trashier tramp stamps, mullets, wife beater t-shirts, and primered Firebirds.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

Our ride was during the mega-meet-up in Kansas City a few years ago. We rode from Zeds house to the cigar shop, with a stop at the liquor store along the way. Then we drove to the BBQ joint down in the hood where we crashed a wake. That was a good day.

As for cultural differences between hillbillies and rednecks we joke that the other group has more preponderance towards trailer parks, women with the trashier tramp stamps, mullets, wife beater t-shirts, and primered Firebirds.
By birth I'm biracial, an even mix of the two. The redneck has taken deeper root, but I can hold my own at both family reunions.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:43 pm

“Redneck” and “Hillbilly” are politically correct slurs about white people that aren’t directly mentioned by race, therefore are permitted by the powers that be.

I do have “Redneck” in me, and currently have a red neck because I shot guns at targets in the sunlight yesterday. I could be the brunt of jokes and contempt in San Fransisco and that would be perfectly fine, meanwhile my poor sons don’t dare share pictures on social media of their day because that’s not Ok anymore. :wink:

Yeah, this is where the whole country is heading. Watch out Midwest and Texas. Demographic realities are going to come knocking. The UK culture is on its way. :x
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Redneck-Hillbilly
Townies-Frat Boys
Gay-Straight
Black-White
Men-Women
Mexican-American
Tall-Short
Polish-Italian
French-Everybody Else In The World
Blonde-Brunette
Brit-Aussie
Fox River Potawatomi-Prairie Band Potawatomi
Skinny-Fat
Jew -Catholic
Orthodox-Catholic
Baptist-Catholic
Anglican-Catholic
Presbyterian-Catholic
Methodist-Catholic
Whatever

It's fun to divide people up and joke about our differences. People like Ralphie May, Richard Pryor, Rosanne Barr, George Lopez, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin and Don Rickles make/made a good living joking about our differences because people think/thought their jokes are funny enough to pay for. There's nothing dark there. In fact, good natured ribbing can bring groups together. No matter our differences, we can come together for entertainment and sport even if we return to self segregated neighborhoods at the end of the evening. There's a really nice barber shop scene in Clint Eastwood's movie Gran Torino that plays this out. In fact, that whole movie is based on cultural stereotypes and people learning to accept the differences while still growing to respect the persons behind the labels.

It's another thing to divide people up for discrimination in hiring, firing, churching, schooling, sporting, marrying, welcoming or supporting and I certainly hope nobody here thinks that's OK.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:35 pm

tuttle wrote:
My thought exactly.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:01 pm

All said, it may not always be prudent to joke about some things. Especially online.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle