Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Relearning to Laugh at Ourselves

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:03 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:59 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm
R.I.P. Apu

PC Kills an Indian Star
Yeah, saw that. That whole show is about stereotypes. That's what makes it work. I guess Flanders should really chap my hide.
:lol:

I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.

Kind of stinks about Apu though. At some point earlier this year (see Del's post above) it seemed like the Groening and the Simpsons writers were going to stick to their guns, but for whatever reason now, they've caved. The article I linked to makes it seem like a business move, an easily avoidable controversy by just not ever using the side character again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1qjubwpU0
I think it might have been a passive aggressive "screw you" to the PC crowd by just taking Apu away. The PC crowd wanted Groening et al. to keep him and mold him into a character that they saw fit.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:03 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:59 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm
R.I.P. Apu

PC Kills an Indian Star
Yeah, saw that. That whole show is about stereotypes. That's what makes it work. I guess Flanders should really chap my hide.
:lol:

I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.

Kind of stinks about Apu though. At some point earlier this year (see Del's post above) it seemed like the Groening and the Simpsons writers were going to stick to their guns, but for whatever reason now, they've caved. The article I linked to makes it seem like a business move, an easily avoidable controversy by just not ever using the side character again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1qjubwpU0
I think it might have been a passive aggressive "screw you" to the PC crowd by just taking Apu away. The PC crowd wanted Groening et al. to keep him and mold him into a character that they saw fit.
I just edited my last post to say that I saw a producer for the show, while not denying it, said that the person who revealed Apu would be dropped doesn't speak for the show. Maybe there are internal divisions and a decision hasn't been made just yet.

But I think you are right. They'd probably just rather drop him altogether than change him.

If he has to go they should have a mob of Social Justice Warriors burn the Kwik-E-Mart down in protest of Apu being a stereotypical convenience store owner, totally unaware that their actions ruined Apu and forced him to move away from Springfield.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am
. . .If he has to go they should have a mob of Social Justice Warriors burn the Kwik-E-Mart down in protest of Apu being a stereotypical convenience store owner, totally unaware that their actions ruined Apu and forced him to move away from Springfield.
Nice. That would be a fantastic twist wouldn't it? You should be a writer or something.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 am

Watching this collective bunch of wet blankets decide that the problem in this world is that they just arent allowed to laugh at other people enough is probably one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever read.

Bonus prize for the first one of you jackwagons to get mortally offended that I'm laughing at you.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Good-natured "messed up stuff" is cute.

Needless crap talk is offensive.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:56 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 am
Watching this collective bunch of wet blankets decide that the problem in this world is that they just arent allowed to laugh at other people enough is probably one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever read.

Bonus prize for the first one of you jackwagons to get mortally offended that I'm laughing at you.
Haha. That's the point of the thread. Laugh away. It is funny.

I'm laughing too, now that you mentioned it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 am
tuttle wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am
. . .If he has to go they should have a mob of Social Justice Warriors burn the Kwik-E-Mart down in protest of Apu being a stereotypical convenience store owner, totally unaware that their actions ruined Apu and forced him to move away from Springfield.
Nice. That would be a fantastic twist wouldn't it? You should be a writer or something.
Tuttle has quite the creative mind.

The Simpson's have a stereotype for everyone. Heck, I jut got to thinking about my family. Seems like I'm surrounded by Cletus Spucklers. Now I'm laughing. Could I be Cletus too? :lol:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 am

Prayer for Good Humor
by St. Thomas More

Grant me, O Lord, good digestion, and also something to digest.
Grant me a healthy body, and the necessary good humor to maintain it.
Grant me a simple soul that knows to treasure all that is good
and that doesn’t frighten easily at the sight of evil,
but rather finds the means to put things back in their place.
Give me a soul that knows not boredom, grumblings, sighs and laments,
nor excess of stress, because of that obstructing thing called “I.”
Grant me, O Lord, a sense of good humor.
Allow me the grace to be able to take a joke to discover in life a bit of joy,
and to be able to share it with others.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am

This is pretty good stuff

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/11/ ... ight-live/

A liberal comedian takes a crack at a conservative candidate and wounded veteran.

All in all, I thought the original joke was kind of funny regardless, but conservatives were slobbering mad when it was made and people were demanding the guy be fired from SNL. That's the stupid knee jerk reaction that I lament throughout this thread...however, Crenshaw, the object of the joke, took it upon himself to basically say, Hey I'm not going to demand an apology, even though he thought the joke was in poor taste, and he eve said something along the lines of let's get back to being funny. All good stuff.

But then SNL and Davidson ate some crow and had Crenshaw come on SNL to sort of even the score. A win for both sides in my opinion. Politics and victim mentality almost won the day, but a bit of grace and comedy and self deprecation wound up outshining all of it. We need more of this.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am

A liberal comedian takes a crack at a conservative candidate and wounded veteran.

All in all, I thought the original joke was kind of funny regardless, but conservatives were slobbering mad when it was made and people were demanding the guy be fired from SNL. That's the stupid knee jerk reaction that I lament throughout this thread...however, Crenshaw, the object of the joke, took it upon himself to basically say, Hey I'm not going to demand an apology, even though he thought the joke was in poor taste, and he eve said something along the lines of let's get back to being funny. All good stuff.

But then SNL and Davidson ate some crow and had Crenshaw come on SNL to sort of even the score. A win for both sides in my opinion. Politics and victim mentality almost won the day, but a bit of grace and comedy and self deprecation wound up outshining all of it. We need more of this.
Respectfully, I have to disagree completely. The TV was the cause of, the platform for, and the ultimate resolution of any problem. First they created it, then they gave airtime to the people that wanted to take offense, then they resolved it, then they talked about how they resolved it.

At every stage, somebody made money manipulating people's reactions. Turn off the glowing synagogue. It really all becomes laughable when you have no idea what is going on in talking head land. :D

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am
tuttle wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:57 am

Respectfully, I have to disagree completely. The TV was the cause of, the platform for, and the ultimate resolution of any problem. First they created it, then they gave airtime to the people that wanted to take offense, then they resolved it, then they talked about how they resolved it.

At every stage, somebody made money manipulating people's reactions. Turn off the glowing synagogue. It really all becomes laughable when you have no idea what is going on in talking head land. :D
I can get on board with turning of the TV (I actually only knew about all of this because of reporting rather than watching it...I haven't seen an actual SNL show since after Will Ferrell left), but I think my take is still legit regardless. Normally what happens is someone (right or left) does something a majority of people (or the loudest people) find uncouth and then torches and pitchforks spring up and the mob or crybabies scream until someone is fired and everyone hates each other just a little bit more.

As it is, every step of the above situation was so uncontroversial that it was laughable that anyone was even triggered to react. But everyone is triggered these days (right or left) and it was a nice change from the norm.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Romero Gonzalez Gonzalez was famous for vaudeville acts in Mexico and has an impressive resume in film,and in this clip I think he's hilarious.
Decades later Bill Dana's Jose Jimenez, after some success, was banned for being racist(FWIW I like Romero's shtick better) Basically the same bumbling English dialog only Gonzalez Gonzalez was Mexican and incorporated physical humor as well.
Your thoughts?
https://youtu.be/XqaYDsq1q6g
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:57 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 am

I can get on board with turning of the TV (I actually only knew about all of this because of reporting rather than watching it...I haven't seen an actual SNL show since after Will Ferrell left), but I think my take is still legit regardless. Normally what happens is someone (right or left) does something a majority of people (or the loudest people) find uncouth and then torches and pitchforks spring up and the mob or crybabies scream until someone is fired and everyone hates each other just a little bit more.

As it is, every step of the above situation was so uncontroversial that it was laughable that anyone was even triggered to react. But everyone is triggered these days (right or left) and it was a nice change from the norm.
Your take is legitimate and its borderline pathetic at the same time. You're right that it's nice to see. Its borderline pathetic that it's nice to see and not the norm.

My father and I were just talking about guys like you. Used to be that folks would come into my grandfather's tavern and drink beer and get all heated up arguing. But they paid for each other's rounds, laughed, knew each other's families, etc. Disagreement, even heated disagreement, can be done without anger. Or play dough. I agree with that.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:57 pm
tuttle wrote:

Your take is legitimate and its borderline pathetic at the same time. You're right that it's nice to see. Its borderline pathetic that it's nice to see and not the norm.

My father and I were just talking about guys like you. Used to be that folks would come into my grandfather's tavern and drink beer and get all heated up arguing. But they paid for each other's rounds, laughed, knew each other's families, etc. Disagreement, even heated disagreement, can be done without anger. Or play dough. I agree with that.
Sometimes I'm not sure how you're reading me. The "used to be that folks" was the purpose of this thread. Used to be that we could make fun of ourselves and others in good fun. Hard to find these days is all I'm saying.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:57 pm
tuttle wrote:

Sometimes I'm not sure how you're reading me. The "used to be that folks" was the purpose of this thread. Used to be that we could make fun of ourselves and others in good fun. Hard to find these days is all I'm saying.
Sometimes you seem like that guy, bro. Sometimes you don't. Wanna fight about it? :D

Del

Post by Del » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:38 am

Bitter humor rawks.

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:22 am

Kevin Hart is one of the funniest people in entertainment. I didn't even know he was going to host the Oscars before I saw the news that he stepped down from hosting the Oscars. So swift do the hounds that hate laughter pounce.

After being announced he came under fire from the hydra LGBT for past jokes and tweets. Apparently they felt no need to target him until they did...everyone has to bow the knee at some point. But the more disturbing part wasn't the now inevitable gnashing of teeth by the Puritan Left, but that the Academy was so pressured that they gave Hart an ultimatum. Apologize or we'll replace you. According to this article,
A few hours before the announcement [that he's stepping down], Hart said in a video he posted on Instagram that the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences had contacted him and said he either had to apologize for the past tweets, posted between 2009 and 2011, or they're "going to have to move on and find another host."
At first he appeared as if he was going to fight it, but then his opponents got their cake and to eat it too. He both stepped down and apologized.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:25 am

Comedians tell jokes about people. About the human condition. About us. Americans, Mexicans, Italians, Russians. Black, white, brown, red, yellow. Fat people, skinny people, tall people, short people. Dumb presidents, dumb blonds. Lawyers, car salesmen, Rabbis, Priests. Gay people, straight people, dead people, country people, city people. We find them funny because we recognize what they say. There's not much fun in tulips, or tigers, or clouds, or anything other than us. You'd be hard pressed to find a (good) comedian who hasn't made jokes about a person or group. I suppose the best they can hope for is to either find someone who isn't funny and plays the award show straight or someone who is funny but hasn't offended a group with a powerful of influential lobby.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:19 pm

This will be hard for Hart to recover from. I wouldn't be surprised if his career is effectively over at this point.

This is where we're headed folks.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:50 pm

Cleon wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:19 pm
This will be hard for Hart to recover from. I wouldn't be surprised if his career is effectively over at this point.

This is where we're headed folks.
In the world but not of it, my kings. Keep your heads up and your focus on your souls and those of your families and friends. That's our calling as husbands and fathers.

Have faith. Cultures swing and nothing is permanent on this earth. The people advocating what's going on dont realize what they're in for when all the gender fluid little boys come over to take their daughters out on their first dates. It's going to be a real come to Jesus moment.

Just stay the course. You're doing fine. The world will self correct.