After going off the rails, the locomotive plummets off the trestle

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: After going off the rails, the locomotive plummets off the trestle

Post by wosbald » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:29 am

+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:21 pm
j1n wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:01 pm
I would have never predicted that I would find myself agreeing with the Mormons and shaking my head at the Methodists.
The Mormon withdrawal is interesting, given that the reason is that the Mormon Church has become more global and the Scouts are US centric and the church needs a more international youth group to provide a faith based program that is relevant globally.
Huh? Wha??
Boy Scouts are about as International as it gets!
I'd like to know what Boy Scout programs on other continents think about the changes mandated by the BSA. So far, ... crickets.

As churches debate scouting in U.S., in Italy it’s a Catholic affair
Boy and girl scouts in Italy at the Assembly of the Italian Association of Catholic Guides and Scouts of Europe. (Credit: Curtesy of AIGSEC.)

ROME — Controversy continues to strike the Boy Scouts of America, as the more than 100-year-old institution struggles to adapt to the modern-day world by integrating girls into its programs and enacting ‘LGBTQ-inclusive’ policies.

Today, religious institutions in the U.S. are debating whether to continue working with the Scouts. The Mormon Church has already announced its intention to sever ties in 2019. Other controversies over the Girl Scouts led Archbishop Joseph Naumann of Kansas City, Kansas to announce that his parishes will stop hosting troops, affiliating instead with the Christian alternative American Heritage Girls.

Other representatives of the Catholic Church in America, which is involved with less than 8 percent of scout activities, have also voiced their objection regarding the new policies.

As scouting becomes a new battlefield for clashing ideologies, a look at the Italian boy scout reality can offer some perspective, especially concerning Catholic involvement. The Church in Italy oversees, and is actively involved in, more than 97 percent of scouting activities.

“The tight relationship with the parishes is a peculiarity that distinguishes [Boy Scouts in Italy] even in the European context,” said Father Paolo La Terra, General Assistant of the Italian Association of Catholic Guides and Scouts of Europe, AIGSEC, a Catholic guiding and scouting association in Italy.

Almost 50 years have passed since girls were admitted into Italian scout groups, and while tensions arose early on, today the practice is widely accepted and fully integrated into dioceses across Italy.

The situation is flipped when it comes to homosexuality, where Italy arguably is on a different page than the United States in developing programs that cater to a changing moral landscape.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:09 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 am
Twice now I have opened this thread thinking it would actually be about trains.

You'd think I would learn.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:12 pm

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe