Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations

Post by FredS » Thu May 10, 2018 8:38 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 pm
No, we don’t have a communication problem. Fast, medium and slow action rods have nothing to with reels. :wink:

. . .

That halibut you see above will require much patience to bring in on this rod.
Please forgive my assumption about communication. You obviously know the lingo.

Regarding being occasionally outgunned, well that's just part of the deal. You rig yourself for your target and do your best when you hook on to something larger. I know that fishing salt is more of a crap shoot because there are all sorts of critters out there and you never really know what you may drag up but still, you fish a certain lure, place, tide, time, moon phase, etc to target a certain species.

I once caught an 8ish pound catfish will fishing for crappie. I was in a city park and the 35 minute 'fight' to get that thing close to shore drew quite a crowd of joggers and kids on bikes. I finally got him close and he rolled over so I thought he was spent and I tilted my rod back and behind me to slide him in so I could grab that big ol' mouth. Bad move. In that position, the rod offered no shock protection and the fish shook his head once and broke right off. Man it was fun though!
Last edited by FredS on Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 10, 2018 8:38 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 am
This has been interesting reading...Salt fly fishing is a bucket list item for me.

Thunk I feel just like when a friend bus a shotgun...the only thing better than getting one for your self is when a friend gets one.
Yes, and I’ve been watching you all with your fly fishing related stuff FOR YEARS! I loved reading about and seeing it. I hope my own fishing adventures are worth sharing. I have a feeling my first trip will be “interesting.” :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 am

FredS wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:38 am
Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 pm
No, we don’t have a communication problem. Fast, medium and slow action rods have nothing to with reels. :wink:

. . .

That halibut you see above will require much patience to bring in on this rod.
Please forgive my assumption about communication. You obviously know the lingo.

Regarding being occasionally outgunned, well that's just part of the deal. You rig yourself for your target and do your best when you hook on to something larger. I know that fishing salt is more of a crap shoot because there are all sorts of critters out there and you never really know what you may drag up but still, you fish a certain lure, place, tide, time, moon phase, etc to target a certain species.

I once caught an 8ish pound catfish will fishing for crappie. I was in a city park and the 35 minute 'fight' to get that thing close to shore drew quite a crowd of joggers and kids on bikes. I finally got him close and he rolled over so I thought he was spent and I tilted my rod back and behind me to slide him in so I could grab that big ol' mouth. Bad move. In that position, the rod offered no shock protection and the fish shook his head once and broke right off. Man it was fun though!
I didn’t buy this outfit with long term surf fishing or saltwater in mind. I was really quite impressed with the rod when I put it together. I was expecting something bulkier and less lively. I have not cast it yet, but I already know it will cast normal 6 weight fresh water stuff well. It feels better than the fly rods I used before. It will also be fun with the typical 10-18 inch fish I’ll target with it. I’m glad I asked your opinions.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm

I spent part of Saturday getting everything put together. That process included talking with the clerks at the fly fishing specialty store. They hooked me up with line and I had fun picking out flies. I also made a stripping basket, which is universally used on beaches here. I practiced casting on the lawn, and discovered that I haven't forgotten how.

I hope to test it in the water this evening.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

I am guessing that the basket is to keep the line out of the sand and the sand out of the reel?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm
I am guessing that the basket is to keep the line out of the sand and the sand out of the reel?
Not really, it’s because the surf is like a washing machine, and the line will tangle in itself and around the fisherman which is a safety hazard. It’s not like a river where it all goes in one direction. Also, the jetties with piles of rocks will quickly destroy fly line and snag as it falls deep in the crevices between them. I never once saw a fly fisherman in the surf here without a stripping basket. At first I didn’t know what it was when I saw one.

Sand and saltwater need gentle rinsing off after every trip and good reel oil and grease on a regular basis.

Surf fishing requires quite a bit of mobility too. The stripping basket helps with that as well, and according to many, helps in long distance casting. What we do is walk along the beach looking for currents and troughs where we stop and cast a few minutes to see if we get bites. There’s a lot of back and forth with the wave action while we do it.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Sounds like a blast! For sure on my list to do.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Thunk, Did Temple Fork ever come up in your considerations? Just curious. They were one of the first to offer a reasonably priced carbon fibre rod, and I was aware of them at that time - just wondering if they're still a factor today.

Ever consider the merits of the soft hackle fly?
In Christ by Apostolic and Reformed Faith

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

ChildOfGod wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm
Thunk, Did Temple Fork ever come up in your considerations? Just curious. They were one of the first to offer a reasonably priced carbon fibre rod, and I was aware of them at that time - just wondering if they're still a factor today.

Ever consider the merits of the soft hackle fly?
I heard of Temple Fork, that’s about it. Having said that, I didn’t go looking beyond my usual sphere of influence. I borrowed LL Bean outfits 15+ years ago when I fly fished a few small lakes in Pennsylvania a few times. I asked these guys on CPS their opinions because there are a few heavy weights here.

As to flies, I will have to take a sampling of pics later. I’m sure I have some stuff not seen before. What you see above is a number 6 Clouser (I’m sure you know of Clousers). This is a pretty common go-to fly in the surf here. Might as well start with the basics, but some of what I have will be better fished by currents. I think I have a pair that might be considered soft hackles.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:30 pm
. . .Surf fishing requires quite a bit of mobility too. The stripping basket helps with that as well, and according to many, helps in long distance casting. What we do is walk along the beach looking for currents and troughs where we stop and cast a few minutes to see if we get bites. There’s a lot of back and forth with the wave action while we do it.
Your description reminds me of these guys running up and down the beach casting for roosterfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZVbrFBO9w
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Good Lord!

Trust me, if there was that much running involved I wouldn't be doing it. :lol:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm

That video is pretty famous.
The guy with the Scott visor, the goatee, running up and down the beach is Frank Smethurst.

He’s our Scott rep, among other brands.

Remember a video a little over a year ago where I was in casting a not yet available Scott Spey rod?
Frank was the guy giving a casting lesson to the lady “journalist” and the cameraman kept focusing on her, the, uh, how should I put this . . .

Big personalities?
Remember her?

This is Frank’s outfit:

http://combenterprises.com/
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 pm

I'd like to be the guy who gets to blast around in the dune buggy.

And, yes, I remember the gal with the oversized personality.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Well, no roosterfish, but first cast:

High winds this evening. I managed a few ugly casts then when the tippet ended up around my neck I knew I was in over my head today.

And he came with me:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm
Well, no roosterfish, but first cast:

High winds this evening. I managed a few ugly casts then when the tippet ended up around my neck I knew I was in over my head today.

And he came with me:

WooHoo!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 am

Thunktank wrote:
One of the very best things about fly casting is that we have this thing called a "wind knot". We get to blame a lot of our poor performance on wind knots. Wind knots can cause your tippet to break while trying to land a big fish. Wind knots cause you to miss the best half hour of fishing of the day while you sit on a rock and untangle the mess. The wind blows our flies in to tree's, bushes, rocks, and the ear lobes of innocent passers by. The winds that cause wind knots tend to be very localized. Wind brisk enough to foul your cast is likely unnoticeable 40 ft away where your buddy is fishing. But, if your fishing partner is a good one, they'll nod in agreement when you explain that your thrashing about was due to the wind. You're expected, of course, to return the favor when they have a bad casting day day plagued by wind knots.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 16, 2018 11:08 am

FredS wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 am
Thunktank wrote:
One of the very best things about fly casting is that we have this thing called a "wind knot". We get to blame a lot of our poor performance on wind knots. Wind knots can cause your tippet to break while trying to land a big fish. Wind knots cause you to miss the best half hour of fishing of the day while you sit on a rock and untangle the mess. The wind blows our flies in to tree's, bushes, rocks, and the ear lobes of innocent passers by. The winds that cause wind knots tend to be very localized. Wind brisk enough to foul your cast is likely unnoticeable 40 ft away where your buddy is fishing. But, if your fishing partner is a good one, they'll nod in agreement when you explain that your thrashing about was due to the wind. You're expected, of course, to return the favor when they have a bad casting day day plagued by wind knots.
Yup, that’s for sure. I’ll tell you, I’ve been spending lots of time on YouTube attempting to receive free education in fly casting the last couple of days. If work allows, I’m going to practice again tonight. I’ll have three youths with me to entertain too. :lol: