Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
arank87
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations

Post by arank87 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:40 pm
I’ll probably stick with my conventional for now. In fact I’ll likely do both kinds of fishing depending on conditions and the mood I’m in and the location of the fish themselves.
That's what I do. I love fly fishing for the esthetic reasons but also the practicality. The small chalk streams of the Driftless area that I fish have small brown and brook trout that feed on small surface and subsurface insects. The best way to present a lure that looks like what they eat is with a fly rod. But the national sport of Minnesota is walleye fishing, which I also love. But the fact is that it is extremely impractical to fish deep water with a fly rod. Are there guys who do it? Yes, lots of them. You can get full sinking lines and I even saw a video of a guy trolling with a fly rod! But what sense does that make? Fly fishing is not always the best approach. It's kinda like guys who put a cigar in a pipe. I mean, just smoke a cigar dude. It's fine.
"You can call me, Al" - Me

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:22 pm
There’s a 9’ 6wt. Pursuit at Gabe’s house and a 9’ 8wt. a Jim VH’s. They might chime in with a word about them.
Yes there is - my pride and joy. I don't know that I really have anything to offer as I'm still trying to figure out fly fishing and I haven't caught anything big enough to challenge it, but I am thrilled with the Pursuit. I'm much more comfortable and confident with it than anything else I've tried.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 pm

This is why CPS is great!

Durangopipe, thanks!

I ordered a Redington Path 6 weight 2 piece and Path reel.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 04, 2018 8:09 am

Man that is a smoking deal! Congrats Thunk
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 am

You’ll love ‘em Thunk!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Durangopipe, thanks!

When you are selling blood so you can get "another" flyrod for the "collection" you may feel differently. :lol: You need a streamer rod, a dry fly rod, a small stream rod, a.........
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am
Thunktank wrote:

Durangopipe, thanks!

When you are selling blood so you can get "another" flyrod for the "collection" you may feel differently. :lol: You need a streamer rod, a dry fly rod, a small stream rod, a.........
salt rod, a nymphing rod, a two hander, a glass rod, a cane rod, a beater rod, a . . .
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 04, 2018 11:04 am

FredS wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am
Thunktank wrote:

Durangopipe, thanks!

salt rod, a nymphing rod, a two hander, a glass rod, a cane rod, a beater rod, a . . .
Yeah well, first I need to learn how to cast.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 04, 2018 11:31 am

I'm actually wondering if I need another reel for the surf fishing I want to do in the next few weeks. I was planning on greasing the reel up really good and rinsing it off after. I'm going to have to have a spare spool with different line at the very least anyway.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:31 am
I'm actually wondering if I need another reel for the surf fishing I want to do in the next few weeks. I was planning on greasing the reel up really good and rinsing it off after. I'm going to have to have a spare spool with different line at the very least anyway.
And so it begins....welcome to the addiction...I mean...welcome to the hobby 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 04, 2018 3:10 pm

On the topic of "Gear for Flyfishing" I was also thinking about Waders and boots and the other odds and ends. I bought a pair of Cabelas Guide Gear waders and boots on sale...like $160 for the waders and boots. That was 4 years ago and they still look like new and I have been pleased. I hear good things about Redington waders but have never had any. Sometimes the big box stores have sales. Amazon also has some deals. I bought most of the stuff I put in my bag from my local shop when I started, I wanted to be supportive. But they moved the shop to North Denver.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm

I have Redington Skagit River wader boots that I like a lot.

I was reading a review recently on either Sierra Trading Post or REI and a guy gave a bad review to some boots because "They are not waterproof, and they take forever to dry." I think hope it was a joke.

Also - In honor of Star Trek day:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm

One thing I need concerning waders is breathability. It gets hot down here.

I have done a lot of surf fishing without waders. Fine in summer, but yesterday and this evening I’ll wish I had them. It usually means I don’t go as far into the surf. Most surf fish I seek are up close to shore anyway.

My first spool with fly gear will be filled with a sinking tip, 3x leader and florocarbon tippet. Fishing the surf here is quite a lot like river fishing really in that the current and structure are used to our advantage. The fish are similar in size to what trout and bass are found in big rivers too. But the flies work below the surface.

Yesterday, using conventional gear I lost the biggest halibut I ever hooked that I know of in the surf. It got away just shy of me taking hold of it. Those are trophies here. Gonna try again today, about to leave.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm
One thing I need concerning waders is breathability. It gets hot down here.
There's no rule that says you have to wear waders. If the water and air are warm(ish) then just hop in. Footwear is dependent on the surfaces you're walking on and can range from sandals to an old pair of boots or tennis shoes.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm

Thunktank wrote:

Yesterday, using conventional gear I lost the biggest halibut I ever hooked that I know of in the surf. It got away just shy of me taking hold of it. Those are trophies here. Gonna try again today, about to leave.
Well, I went back to the same spot, a rocky area with a big channel cut in the sand. I caught what was quite possibly the same California halibut (as opposed to the bigger and more well known Pacific halibut) I lost yesterday. It was 27 inches long. It graced the dinner table this evening. That’s considered a very good catch from shore.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 am

FredS wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm
I have Redington Skagit River wader boots that I like a lot.

I was reading a review recently on either Sierra Trading Post or REI and a guy gave a bad review to some boots because "They are not waterproof, and they take forever to dry." I think hope it was a joke.

Also - In honor of Star Trek day:
Not that it's really relevant to the discussion at hand, but the Skagit River is about 30 miles south of my house. I've never fished in it.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Well, I went back to the same spot, a rocky area with a big channel cut in the sand. I caught what was quite possibly the same California halibut (as opposed to the bigger and more well known Pacific halibut) I lost yesterday. It was 27 inches long. It graced the dinner table this evening. That’s considered a very good catch from shore.
Nice.

Not many things better than fresh fish. Even the pickiest eaters in my family eat fish when it's caught and cooked by dad.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:43 am
FredS wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Not that it's really relevant to the discussion at hand, but the Skagit River is about 30 miles south of my house. I've never fished in it.
This is a sad situation that should be fixed as soon as possible
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

There should be pictures
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 07, 2018 10:07 am

FredS wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 am
Thunktank wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Nice.

Not many things better than fresh fish. Even the pickiest eaters in my family eat fish when it's caught and cooked by dad.
We love fish in this house, fresh fish especially. I had it from hook to pan in under an hour. It was perfect and it fed six of us. I still didn’t cook all of it. It’s a rare catch to have one of legal size and one of the tastiest fish from our local waters. Most surf fishing is a catch and release affair with local fish often having high toxicity levels and high fishing pressure. The halibut come into spawn and on select days follow grunion in during summer. I heard that a few folks were starting to catch them this week, so off I went.

What I would really like to accomplish this year with a fly is to catch a Corbina in the surf. Those are often compared to native trout. They’re very picky and spook easily. When caught, they put up a good fight. I release those fish, they’re tasty, but the fishery is limited.

Here’s an example:

corbina on the fly

This guy isn’t bringing it in properly though.

I may not have much time to get this done though before I move though. They aren’t biting much yet this season.