Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Fly Fishing Gear Recommendations

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Yesterday, using conventional gear I lost the biggest halibut I ever hooked that I know of in the surf. It got away just shy of me taking hold of it. Those are trophies here. Gonna try again today, about to leave.
Well, I went back to the same spot, a rocky area with a big channel cut in the sand. I caught what was quite possibly the same California halibut (as opposed to the bigger and more well known Pacific halibut) I lost yesterday. It was 27 inches long. It graced the dinner table this evening. That’s considered a very good catch from shore.
There should be pictures
Fine, give me a few. . .

:lol:

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 07, 2018 10:35 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:37 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm

Yesterday, using conventional gear I lost the biggest halibut I ever hooked that I know of in the surf. It got away just shy of me taking hold of it. Those are trophies here. Gonna try again today, about to leave.
Well, I went back to the same spot, a rocky area with a big channel cut in the sand. I caught what was quite possibly the same California halibut (as opposed to the bigger and more well known Pacific halibut) I lost yesterday. It was 27 inches long. It graced the dinner table this evening. That’s considered a very good catch from shore.
There should be pictures
Fine, give me a few. . .

:lol:
If not of the fish at the catch, then maybe of the fish at dinner. :wink:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am

I can’t figure out how to post pictures on here anymore without giving access to too much information. :x
Last edited by Thunktank on Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 am

We used to catch flounder (a halibut is a flounder) from my buddies boat in Murrells Inlet SC but never any that big. When an 18-20" flounder uses the current to push them like a sail it's a heck of a chore to drag them up.

We were both from KS so used our freshwater bass rigs. Got a lot of strange looks.

EDIT: I saw your album before you deleted the link. That gal is smoking hot! The fish wasn't bad either.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 07, 2018 11:40 am

FredS wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 am
We used to catch flounder (a halibut is a flounder) from my buddies boat in Murrells Inlet SC but never any that big. When an 18-20" flounder uses the current to push them like a sail it's a heck of a chore to drag them up.

We were both from KS so used our freshwater bass rigs. Got a lot of strange looks.

EDIT: I saw your album before you deleted the link. That gal is smoking hot! The fish wasn't bad either.
Lol!

Trouble maker

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Had a busy weekend . . .
But I've been keeping up, if not responding.

Enjoying the fishing reports.
Thanks all!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 07, 2018 3:55 pm

So after my forum use blooper I'm going to give it another try: Image

I quit posting pictures to forums when photobucket quit.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Back to fly fishing.

I also bought a Redington practice rod. It uses real fly line instead of yarn. I had a bonus check from Dicks sporting goods that was about to expire, so I figured what the heck. Have any of you fellas used one before?

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 5:48 pm

My new toy showed up today!

It struck me how delicate and elegant it is.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Sweet!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 pm
Thunktank wrote:

Sweet!
I’m a little concerned that it doesn’t have a fast enough action to my preference. I’ll have to test it out on another halibut to see how it fairs.

I showed my best friend what I bought. I have a feeling I’m going to have fly fishing company soon. :lol:

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 pm

I think we may have a communication problem. Or more properly, a difference in terminology.

Fast, medium, slow action in the fly fishing world has to do with the rod and how it casts. I don't reckon you've compared how different rods cast for you so I think you may be referring to fast action as how fast the reel takes in line. If that's the case, you can get a large arbor reel that will help some. The circumference of the spool is larger but it's still a one-to-one ratio. Direct drive if you will, with no gearing to increase the rpm of the spool in relation to the turns of the crank.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 pm
I think we may have a communication problem. Or more properly, a difference in terminology.

Fast, medium, slow action in the fly fishing world has to do with the rod and how it casts. I don't reckon you've compared how different rods cast for you so I think you may be referring to fast action as how fast the reel takes in line. If that's the case, you can get a large arbor reel that will help some. The circumference of the spool is larger but it's still a one-to-one ratio. Direct drive if you will, with no gearing to increase the rpm of the spool in relation to the turns of the crank.
No, we don’t have a communication problem. Fast, medium and slow action rods have nothing to with reels. :wink:

I’m sure casting fly line is quite different from casting sinkers, sure enough. But even there, physics are physics and at least some overlap will be seen. But the reason I fear the rod may not be ideally suited for my near term use with its medium action and 6 weight is because I know darn well that it’s undergunned in the surf and what I might find there. The lack of “fast” translates to less backbone in the butt section of the rod. That halibut you see above will require much patience to bring in on this rod.

Beyond that, big lakes and oceans get windy and I will likely use more streamers than a trout fisherman typically does. Again, physics are physics. But, on nice calm mornings when fishing for surf perch and croakers, this will be more fun. Especially with the use of small sand crab imitations.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:15 pm
Thunktank wrote:

Sweet!
I’m a little concerned that it doesn’t have a fast enough action to my preference. I’ll have to test it out on another halibut to see how it fairs.

I showed my best friend what I bought. I have a feeling I’m going to have fly fishing company soon. :lol:
Glad to hear you’re going to have a fly fishing buddy.

Regarding the action of the Path, fish it for a day or two before you make a judgment regarding the action.

I think you’ll find the rod very capable, and very line and casting style adaptable, but it was not designed as a primarily saltwater rod. The best “inexpensive” saltwater specific rod I have used is the Sage Motive. This “inexpensive” saltwater specific rod retails for $450. And it is a nightmare to fish on a river or stream. I have one. Good saltwater rod! Terrible trout rod.

Much stiffer in the butt, as you say, than a freshwater rod.

The Path is not a “tip action” rod, it flexes more or less deeply depending on the power applied and it has no hinge, so it seems to feel comfortable with a variety of lines and casting styles. Its recovery speed is good, so it can throw tight loops with high line speed when needed.

I do prefer fast, saltwater rods for some saltwater applications for a variety of reasons. But I hate them for others, and never like them for trout fishing. I think you’ll find the Path adaptable and versatile - and maybe more importantly, pleasant for all day fishing.

And an all-around 6 weight like the Path (not specifically designed for saltwater) is a little light for lifting a halibut, but I’ll be eager to hear how it goes. You’ll love that length and weight for general freshwater fishing

Have fun!
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m definately going to fish for the little ones first! But I know me, I will succumb to at least try for a big game fish with it.

I was thinking of putting a shooting head line on it, for the short term salt fishing. Does that sound right to you? To be clear, the halibut might be a by-catch while fishing for smaller stuff, super long casts will not be needed most of the time, so I think this will be fine for that. When I actually target the halibut, I’ll stick to conventional.

I’m hoping I’ll find time to take the kids camping in Sierras this summer before I move. This will be fun on the rivers and small lakes on trout too.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm
I’m definately going to fish for the little ones first! But I know me, I will succumb to at least try for a big game fish with it.

I was thinking of putting a shooting head line on it, for the short term salt fishing. Does that sound right to you? To be clear, the halibut might be a by-catch while fishing for smaller stuff, super long casts will not be needed most of the time, so I think this will be fine for that. When I actually target the halibut, I’ll stick to conventional.

I’m hoping I’ll find time to take the kids camping in Sierras this summer before I move. This will be fun on the rivers and small lakes on trout too.
If by shooting head you mean something like a Teeny, with a sink rate graded,weighted sink tip bonded to a running line (or a looped running line with interchangeable tips of differing sink rates), sure, if you feel you’ll fish them often. If so, see what other fly fishermen fishing the water and species you’re after are using. But I’ll be they’re using 8 weights or larger.

Be careful not to too badly overline the rod. You can break overlined rods. The amount of grain weight on a sinking, shooting tip that a 6 weight can safely handle is not a lot. I’d be reluctant to go over 200 gr.

And casting them is very different from casting traditional fly line tapers, and for most casters more difficult.
That’s one of the applications where Spey rods really shine.

If you’re asking about a 6wt. saltwater taper, weight-forward line that some makers call “shooting tapers” (sadly, there’s a lot of confusion about language and a lack of uniformity between manufacturers), if you stay with a 6wt. you’ll have a taper designed for turning over leaders with saltwater flies and you’ll remain within the safe capabilities of the rod.

But again, I think that rod is better suited to lakes, rivers and streams.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 10:12 pm

The Path is not a “tip action” rod, it flexes more or less deeply depending on the power applied and it has no hinge, so it seems to feel comfortable with a variety of lines and casting styles. Its recovery speed is good, so it can throw tight loops with high line speed when needed.
I was just out with son two who held the tip while I pulled up on it. I can see what you mean. It was quite adaptable and very linear. Other than my trout rod, all the rest are tippy and “hindged” by comparison.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:05 pm
Thunktank wrote:

If by shooting head you mean something like a Teeny, with a sink rate graded,weighted sink tip bonded to a running line (or a looped running line with interchangeable tips of differing sink rates), sure, if you feel you’ll fish them often. If so, see what other fly fishermen fishing the water and species you’re after are using. But I’ll be they’re using 8 weights or larger.

Be careful not to too badly overline the rod. You can break overlined rods. The amount of grain weight on a sinking, shooting tip that a 6 weight can safely handle is not a lot. I’d be reluctant to go over 200 gr.

And casting them is very different from casting traditional fly line tapers, and for most casters more difficult.

If you’re asking about a 6wt. saltwater taper, weight-forward line that some makers call “shooting tapers” (sadly, there’s a lot of confusion about language and a lack of uniformity between manufacturers), if you stay with a 6wt. you’ll have a taper designed for turning over leaders with saltwater flies and you’ll remain within the safe capabilities of the rod.

The locals are using 6 to 8 weight range, and yes, on occasion they get outgunned. Most of what fly fishers in the surf are after are much smaller fish. And yes, a sinking tip 200 grain line is exactly what I was talking about and what the locals use on 6 weight rods, another popular line is the Orvis Depth Charge lines, at least from what I’ve seen. I will be talking with the local fly shop in more detail later.

There are limited situations where fly fishers are getting into bigger game from shore here. We don’t have tarpon on the flats. You need a boat.

When I catch the small ones, you’ll understand why I chose a six weight. That and the fact I hope to be fishing white bass in the spring in Texas next year.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 09, 2018 10:41 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:05 pm
Thunktank wrote:

The locals are using 6 to 8 weight range, and yes, on occasion they get outgunned. Most of what fly fishers in the surf are after are much smaller fish. And yes, a sinking tip 200 grain line is exactly what I was talking about and what the locals use on 6 weight rods, another popular line is the Orvis Depth Charge lines, at least from what I’ve seen. I will be talking with the local fly shop in more detail later.

There are limited situations where fly fishers are getting into bigger game from shore here. We don’t have tarpon on the flats. You need a boat.

When I catch the small ones, you’ll understand why I chose a six weight. That and the fact I hope to be fishing white bass in the spring in Texas next year.
Got it!
You know your water.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 am

This has been interesting reading...Salt fly fishing is a bucket list item for me.

Thunk I feel just like when a friend bus a shotgun...the only thing better than getting one for your self is when a friend gets one.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD