TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Thoth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:57 am
Jester wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 pm
How much do you suppose that tank will weigh when full?
625lbs before rocks and fish.
8O

That'd be for 90 gal.

375 water weight in the 55
Water is 8lbs/gal.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3334
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:57 am
Jester wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 pm
How much do you suppose that tank will weigh when full?
625lbs before rocks and fish.
8O

That'd be for 90 gal.

375 water weight in the 55
Water is 8lbs/gal.
Maybe he's not filling it all the way?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22129
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm

If it holds 55 gallons of water, how much beer would it hold?
Image

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27741
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm
If it holds 55 gallons of water, how much beer would it hold?
Zero. I already said. West African Lake Cichlids.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1502
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm
If it holds 55 gallons of water, how much beer would it hold?
Zero. I already said. West African Lake Cichlids.
What kind of craft beer is that?
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28676
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by coco » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Jester wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm
If it holds 55 gallons of water, how much beer would it hold?
Zero. I already said. West African Lake Cichlids.
What kind of craft beer is that?
Most African beer sucks. It's probably like Miller Lite, not even good enough for a fish tank. DL needs to rethink his whole plan.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27741
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:50 pm
Thoth wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:23 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:57 am
Jester wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 pm
How much do you suppose that tank will weigh when full?
625lbs before rocks and fish.
8O

That'd be for 90 gal.

375 water weight in the 55
Water is 8lbs/gal.
Maybe he's not filling it all the way?
thought water was 7#/gal.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6056
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm

The US gallon is legally defined as 231 cubic inches, which is exactly 3.785411784 litres. A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds or 3.78 kilograms at 62 °F (17 °C).
Image


At room temp. of around 70 degrees F the density is 0.9979955 g/mL.
We can convert this to lb/gal as follows:

0.9979955 g 1000 mL 3.785411784 L 1 lb
----------- * ------- * ------------- * ----------- = 8.328676 lb/gal
1 mL 1 L 1 gal 453.59237 g

If your aquarium will be kept warmer, the water will weigh very slightly less.
Most people figure roughly “a pint’s a pound the world around” or about 8lbs. per gallon for “government work.”

If you fill the tank and displace some water with denser objects (like rocks) the suggested 8.4 lbs/gallon would be pretty close.

55 X 8.4 = 462 lbs

My father-in-law was a power engineer at DuPont. He loved questions like this (and slide rules). I remember him working out how long we needed to cook spaghetti in Silverton at 9,362’ above sea level where water boiled at around 194 deg.

My answer was simple, “Forever.”

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7620
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6056
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!

It’s for real,Goose.
Honest.

They come in many sizes representing several different species sharing the same common name.
Hydrocynus goliath is the big one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocynus_goliath
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7620
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!

It’s for real,Goose.
Honest.

They come in many sizes representing several different species sharing the same common name.
Hydrocynus goliath is the big one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocynus_goliath
I then shall tonight lay me down and pull the blankets over my head. :egor:
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6056
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!

It’s for real,Goose.
Honest.

They come in many sizes representing several different species sharing the same common name.
Hydrocynus goliath is the big one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocynus_goliath
I then shall tonight lay me down and pull the blankets over my head. :egor:
No kidding!
Why any fisherman would stand in a river trying to catch those things is beyond me.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 3334
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington (not Canada)
Contact:

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Sir Moose » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!
It’s for real,Goose.
Honest.

They come in many sizes representing several different species sharing the same common name.
Hydrocynus goliath is the big one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocynus_goliath
I then shall tonight lay me down and pull the blankets over my head. :egor:
No kidding!
Why any fisherman would stand in a river trying to catch those things is beyond me.
Clearly you haven't spent enough time on the internet learning one of the basic, defining rules of humanity:
People are dumb.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Thoth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:37 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!
It’s for real,Goose.
Honest.

They come in many sizes representing several different species sharing the same common name.
Hydrocynus goliath is the big one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocynus_goliath
I then shall tonight lay me down and pull the blankets over my head. :egor:
No kidding!
Why any fisherman would stand in a river trying to catch those things is beyond me.
Clearly you haven't spent enough time on the internet learning one of the basic, defining rules of humanity:
People are dumb.
At least he didn't try to noodle for it.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12333
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Thoth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:42 am

coco wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:04 pm
Jester wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm
If it holds 55 gallons of water, how much beer would it hold?
Zero. I already said. West African Lake Cichlids.
What kind of craft beer is that?
Most African beer sucks. It's probably like Miller Lite, not even good enough for a fish tank. DL needs to rethink his whole plan.
I'm partial Egypt's Stella and Ethiopia's St. George beer.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28676
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by coco » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 am

Thoth wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:42 am
coco wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:04 pm
Jester wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 pm
If it holds 55 gallons of water, how much beer would it hold?
Zero. I already said. West African Lake Cichlids.
What kind of craft beer is that?
Most African beer sucks. It's probably like Miller Lite, not even good enough for a fish tank. DL needs to rethink his whole plan.
I'm partial Egypt's Stella and Ethiopia's St. George beer.
I shall look out for them.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22129
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am

Cichlid tanks are beautiful. Back in my single days I had a 40 gallon tank featuring a pair of large Tiger Oscars. They were high maintenance and intolerant of any other fish besides bottom feeders, but man, they were mesmerizing to watch.

I'm anxious to see your progress, DL.
Image

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21861
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Thoth wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:37 am
Sir Moose wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:09 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am
DL

Is it going to be salt of fresh?
Fresh. Fish from the lakes in West Africa.
Cool!
So these?

Image
As with other African tiger fish species, they are known for having a large, protruding teeth, and they are known to attack humans.
That pic has got to be digitally enhanced. Fish that small don't have shark teeth like that!
It’s for real,Goose.
Honest.

They come in many sizes representing several different species sharing the same common name.
Hydrocynus goliath is the big one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocynus_goliath
I then shall tonight lay me down and pull the blankets over my head. :egor:
No kidding!
Why any fisherman would stand in a river trying to catch those things is beyond me.
Clearly you haven't spent enough time on the internet learning one of the basic, defining rules of humanity:
People are dumb.
At least he didn't try to noodle for it.
Good grief. Where is the warrior spirit? I would fish those, heck yeah! I think I saw one of those get caught on River Monsters. Took weeks just to hook one well enough to bring in. It’s like an ultimate big game fish challenge. That is, if I have the right fish identified, turns out that there’s a few toothy fish out and about.

I would also be willing to hunt grizzlies with a long bow. I was a predator all my life, I can’t think of a better way to go myself. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27741
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:20 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 am
Cichlid tanks are beautiful. Back in my single days I had a 40 gallon tank featuring a pair of large Tiger Oscars. They were high maintenance and intolerant of any other fish besides bottom feeders, but man, they were mesmerizing to watch.

I'm anxious to see your progress, DL.
Almost as good as watching a lioness take down a wildebeest on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21861
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: TTF-HQ Fish Tank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:05 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 pm
Image
Ok, what is this about? I’m very interested in what you’re doing, but dumb it down for me.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Post Reply