The 416 Fire North of Durango

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: The 416 Fire North of Durango

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:27 am

Praying everyone stays safe!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:07 pm

No news is good news?

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:37 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:07 pm
No news is good news?

Sort of . . .
Fire has grown, but not as rapidly as it was growing. Wind was light today.

But the fire is in very steep, heavily forested terrain. Ground work is almost impossible - it’s primarily an air war.

Good news: no homes lost, no serious injuries or deaths.

Bad news: the fire crested a ridge and started to come down into the Hermosa Creek drainage. Pre-evacuation orders have added another 1250 houses and businesses.

We’re still okay.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 am

Continued prayers
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 am

You get the same daily wind pattern we have here, winds from the SW building and peaking late afternoon evening. Lets hope that fire is extinguished soon.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Update on the fire:

Pre-evacuation notices now extend into San Juan County, north of the ski area.
For those who know the area, this includes Cascade Village at the bottom of Coal Bank Pass.

The fire is now over 4,000 acres. It was listed at 4015 acres 8 hours ago.

It seems to move north and west during the day, and south at night.

So far, heroic firefighting efforts from ground crews and aircraft have kept it from crossing east over Hwy 550 into Tammaron, Electra Lake and The Glacier Club.

They are flying converted DC-9s filled with slurry between narrow valley walls just above the tree tops. This is scary enough in a helicopter, but to see what is essentially a jet airliner doing it is unbelievable.

They’re also using a C-131,several aircraft that are converted crop dusters and all kinds of helicopters.

There is now one ridge between our valley, a mix of drought dried meadow grasses, Ponderosa and Gamble Oak, and the fire.
If the wind shifts, we’ll likely be on pre-evacuation notice, but the fire is still around 9 miles north of us.

It was really smokey here this morning, but the daily wind shift cleared it out by around 10:00 AM.
We expect it to be smokey again in the morning.

Fire weather tomorrow is supposed to be severe. Hot, humidity in the single digits and more windy. But the ground crews have been able to build backfires to remove fuel in accessible terrain where the fire is headed while it’s been burning through uninhabited rough country.

Thank God, still no injuries or deaths or loss of homes. The country it’s burning in is now mostly National Forest.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 am

Here’s a good fire status report from inciweb:

Summary:

Fire activity today was more active due to warmer, drier and windier conditions. A seven acre spot fire was detected early this morning and crews rapidly responded and contained this small fire. The spot fire was located west of Highway 550 and east of an existing fireline. Crews worked on this fire throughout the day making sure this area was secure.

The south edge of the fire continued to move southwest towards Hermosa Creek. It is expected that the fire will reach Hermosa Creek by late this evening or tomorrow morning.

Fire personnel were also busy helping residents in Hermosa remove flammable materials from around their homes assisting in creating defensible space where necessary ahead of the fire’s movement to the south.

Weather conditions for tonight and tomorrow are forecasted to be slightly warmer, drier and windier resulting in severe burning conditions. The fire is expected to burn actively late into the night. Firefighters prepare for another challenging day. The movement of the fire downslope to the south is slow but persistent. Fire crews expect the fire to reach Hermosa Creek and will possibly begin burnout actions to slow its growth and keep fire on the east side of the creek.

Persons in the area will likely observe more smoke when burnout operations are conducted. As the fire continues to grow, air quality may become more of an issue. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment recommended that unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion outdoors because of decreasing air quality in the area.

Due to its complexity, command of this fire will be transitioned over to the Rocky Mountain Incident Management Type 1 Team effective Saturday, June 9 at 6:00 am. This team brings similar skills as the current Rocky Mountain Type 2 Blue Team, though they have a greater ability to manage larger, more complex fires.

A community meeting was held this evening in Silverton to answer residents’ questions about the fire. Please visit our Facebook page or call our information line for more details.

Incident Information: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5822/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/416fire/

Fire Information – Phone: (970) 403-5326 Email: 416fire2018@gmail.com

Call Center Hours of Operation: 8 am – 8 pm

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 am

Still lifting all you folk up. I do hope they harness this thing before Sunday as I see near 20 mph winds then.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am

They evacuated Hermosa this morning.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:49 am
Is Hermosa between your property and the fire?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 am
durangopipe wrote:
Is Hermosa between your property and the fire?
Yes.
It's in the valley where Hermosa Creek crosses Hwy 550.
About 7 miles north of us.

The ridge south of Hermosa (not visible in the photo below) is the north end of our valley - Hidden Valley.

They're trying to keep the fire from crossing the creek, and they've done a lot of work anticipating the fire reaching the valley floor there.
If the fire crosses Hermosa Creek, we'll likely be evacuated.

That hillside is all very dry Ponderosa and Gambel Oak.

I took another photo with my cell phone on the way back from the college this morning:

The photo is taken from town looking north up the Animas Valley.

The mountain in the middle of the photo is Hermosa Mountain.
The settlement of Hermosa sits at its base.

The Mountain on the left edge of the photo is Animas Mountain on the north edge of town.
We live on the back side of Animas Mountain in Hidden Valley.

That's all smoke in the sky. There isn't a cloud to be seen.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mrs FredS heard that news this morning, knew you lived 'round there, and asked if I knew how you were doing. She was glad to hear you're OK for now.

I just consulted a few online maps and it looks like the goddamned pine beetles haven't killed the pines and firs down there so there's not thousands of acres of standing tinder, but I reckon the drought has really dried out the trees and reduced the living (and green) vegetation under them.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mrs FredS heard that news this morning, knew you lived 'round there, and asked if I knew how you were doing. She was glad to hear you're OK for now.

I just consulted a few online maps and it looks like the goddamned pine beetles haven't killed the pines and firs down there so there's not thousands of acres of standing tinder, but I reckon the drought has really dried out the trees and reduced the living (and green) vegetation under them.
That’s the case, Fred.
We escaped most of the beetle kill, but we’re in “extraordinary drought” conditions so the soil and vegetation are very dry.

Hopefully, the monsoon will come early and be heavy

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 pm

One of the converted DC-9s dropping slurry:

Can you imagine flying one of those things in that terrain!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Falls Creek Ranch at the north end of our valley is now under pre-evacuation.
Fire’s now over 5,000 acres, about 8 sq. Miles.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am

The fire has reached Hermosa Creek.
Pre-evacuation is now within 2 miles of us.

If the fire crosses the creek and moves any further south we’ll likely be evacuated.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:12 am

Continuing with prayers
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:12 am
Continuing with prayers
+1
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:12 am
Continuing with prayers
+1
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:46 am

Sorry you and your loved ones and friends are having to go through all this, DP.