Anthony Bourdain

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Anthony Bourdain

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 pm

He was one of my favorite celebrities. I loved watching his Parts Unknown show. Did anyone else here enjoy his work?

May he Rest In Peace. Lord have mercy.
Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”
― Anthony Bourdain, No Reservations: Around the World on an Empty Stomach

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Anthony Bourdain

Post by wosbald » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:53 pm

+JMJ+
Thunktank wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 pm
May he Rest In Peace. Lord have mercy.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

rgcurrey
Elder
Elder

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:14 pm

My wife and I enjoyed his shows regardless of which one they were at the time, it was him and his way of looking at things and then talking about them like you and he were buddies (and of course, pulling it off). It is very sad that he found himself in a place where he thought this was the answer.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm not a foodie but I enjoyed his work. When we travel, we try to follow his model and do what the locals do, go where they go, and eat what they eat. You can eat at Landry's or Ruth Chris any place, but the little dinning room behind the fish market, or the rib joint in the gas station are the real gems. Hiring a dude name Jose to take you around Cabo for a day or a river rat named Marge to show you around Sitka or an old guy called Capt George to ride your around the everglades in his air boat are worth a hundred days of bus tours. Meeting those people and places is why we wander.

Bourdain got that. I wish he could have kept some of the joy he gave to others.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:51 pm

We loved his shows.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Regrettably I didn't know him, or seen any of his shows. But reading about him now makes me want to. Sounds like he was a traveler after my wife's and my own hearts. Sad news to see, now. And prayers for his family.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:06 pm

If health and wealth permit, my wife and I want to travel like he did when the kids are grown. We might even take the kids in a few years if they want. We are not resort people (unless it’s a fly fishing and diving trip in the tropics). :D

I really didn’t expect him to leave this way.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 pm

I enjoyed his humor.
He'll be missed, especially by his daughter.
I cannot even imagine her pain and loss.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 pm

I enjoyed his cynicism, his authenticity and honesty, and, as many have said, his off-the-beaten-path manner of travel and dining. He encouraged all of us to look beyond the food to the history and character of the people creating and serving it. I will miss him.

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:27 am

not sure how I feel about this sad news...my initial reaction, honestly, is to be sorta angry. but I hope God will have mercy on him and those he left behind
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

driftedshank
Congregation
Congregation

Post by driftedshank » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Some years ago, a friend recommended Kitchen Confidential because she knew I was interested in food and enjoyed cooking. I thought the book was great and instantly became a big fan of Bourdain. Parts Unkown was a truly great show. Each segment was never long enough for me.

I think he was pretty honest about the fact that he struggled with many issues in his life particularly with respect to substance abuse. That honesty made him more than just a celebrity with a social conscience. I wonder if that wound up getting the best of him. Evidently, there was a lot more going on with him than anyone knew. No matter, still a big loss.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:19 pm

It makes me wonder about celebrities who have everything they could ever want. What could possibly drive them to this?
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 pm

You can't fix depression with money. Or pills. Or booze. Or girls.

For sure there is help available. It is possible to recover. But it's not dependent on wealth or fame. In fact, to the extent that money buys pills and booze and girls, it's a detriment to real treatment.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Nature of a Man
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:19 pm
It makes me wonder about celebrities who have everything they could ever want. What could possibly drive them to this?
Having everything except what they could ever want?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I just found out that one of my cousins knew Anthony Bourdain.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:40 am

I loved Bourdain’s work, as a Spanish teacher and a culture enthusiast, he was one of my heroes, so sad to see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Anthony Bourdain

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:42 am

Nature of a Man wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:19 pm
Having everything except what they could ever want?
This was almost my exact comment when my wife asked a similar question. The door to paradise is locked with the key of salvation, without the key, try as you might, you can’t force open the door. No amount of money or success will get you in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:42 am

My pastor opened his sermon today with a quote from Anthony Bourdain, declaring that he had no faith in God or use for religion. It was very sad to hear, given what we know now.

Much of today's sermon was devoted to an article from the Los Angeles Times, about how devotion and church attendance are clearly linked to a decreased risk of suicide, especially among Catholics.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
Against a grim backdrop of rising suicide rates among American women, new research has revealed a blinding shaft of light: One group of women — practicing Catholics — appears to have bucked the national trend toward despair and self-harm.

Compared with women who never participated in religious services, women who attended any religious service once a week or more were five times less likely to commit suicide between 1996 and 2010, says a study published Wednesday by JAMA Psychiatry.

The women's church attendance was not the only factor; which church they attended mattered as well. Protestant women who worshiped weekly at church were far less likely to take their own lives than were women who seldom or never attended services. But these same Protestant women were still seven times more likely to die by their own hand than were their devout Catholic sisters.

Among especially devout Catholic women — those in the pews more than once a week — suicides were a vanishing phenomenon. Among the 6,999 Catholic women who said they attended mass more than once a week, there was not a single suicide.
This is posted under their "Science" category. The presumption of scientism in the article is that religion is not real -- but somehow the "religious experience" is perhaps a valuable tool that is overlooked by psychologists. Like, maybe it's okay for the doctor to encourage the patient to talk with minister.

The article is unable to fathom why devout Catholic women are seven times less prone to suicide than devout Protestant women. I'm stumped, too.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 am

I read an article written over the weekend stating something to the effect that we are not made for fame. Considering how much the statement resonated with me, the article was kind of meh.

But if God has put eternity in our hearts, then it makes sense to a degree why we would seek 'fame' in whatever capacity. And on the same hand, because this world cannot satisfy our desire for eternity, fame will never be enough; it's only another sign post that points to something beyond this world. If we look for our satisfaction there (or anything) we will come up unfulfilled. I wonder sometimes if celebrities feel this to an extreme degree. In this world they've reached the mountain top only to find they are still unfulfilled.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 am
I read an article written over the weekend stating something to the effect that we are not made for fame. Considering how much the statement resonated with me, the article was kind of meh.

But if God has put eternity in our hearts, then it makes sense to a degree why we would seek 'fame' in whatever capacity. And on the same hand, because this world cannot satisfy our desire for eternity, fame will never be enough; it's only another sign post that points to something beyond this world. If we look for our satisfaction there (or anything) we will come up unfulfilled. I wonder sometimes if celebrities feel this to an extreme degree. In this world they've reached the mountain top only to find they are still unfulfilled.
We've discussed this before. I think there's something missing in many famous people. They need us to define their value. You look at Amy Winehouse and Jimmy Hedrix and you see people who emptied themselves out looking for our approval. Then you look at Johnny Cash and Tom Petty and see guys who learned - before it was too late - that they couldn't give away everything. They gave us their music but kept their soul.

Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, Robin Williams, now Anthony Bourdain. They poured out everything to entertain us.