Anthony Bourdain

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Anthony Bourdain

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am

Del wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:42 am
My pastor opened his sermon today with a quote from Anthony Bourdain, declaring that he had no faith in God or use for religion. It was very sad to hear, given what we know now.

Much of today's sermon was devoted to an article from the Los Angeles Times, about how devotion and church attendance are clearly linked to a decreased risk of suicide, especially among Catholics.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
Against a grim backdrop of rising suicide rates among American women, new research has revealed a blinding shaft of light: One group of women — practicing Catholics — appears to have bucked the national trend toward despair and self-harm.

Compared with women who never participated in religious services, women who attended any religious service once a week or more were five times less likely to commit suicide between 1996 and 2010, says a study published Wednesday by JAMA Psychiatry.

The women's church attendance was not the only factor; which church they attended mattered as well. Protestant women who worshiped weekly at church were far less likely to take their own lives than were women who seldom or never attended services. But these same Protestant women were still seven times more likely to die by their own hand than were their devout Catholic sisters.

Among especially devout Catholic women — those in the pews more than once a week — suicides were a vanishing phenomenon. Among the 6,999 Catholic women who said they attended mass more than once a week, there was not a single suicide.
This is posted under their "Science" category. The presumption of scientism in the article is that religion is not real -- but somehow the "religious experience" is perhaps a valuable tool that is overlooked by psychologists. Like, maybe it's okay for the doctor to encourage the patient to talk with minister.

The article is unable to fathom why devout Catholic women are seven times less prone to suicide than devout Protestant women. I'm stumped, too.
The promise of things greater than life on earth will encourage some people to die to themselves for God. The mortal sin of suicide promises something worse than life for those not convinced of things greater than life on earth. Fear. Pain. Yep, been there done that. Didn’t help with the depression much though. Had to turn to the real world for that. At least the fire and brimstone Baptist preachers kept me alive long enough to self help. Then again, I have no intention of wasting away slowly. I’ve seen that too. Please Lord, let me die before that!

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:36 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am
Del wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:42 am
My pastor opened his sermon today with a quote from Anthony Bourdain, declaring that he had no faith in God or use for religion. It was very sad to hear, given what we know now.

Much of today's sermon was devoted to an article from the Los Angeles Times, about how devotion and church attendance are clearly linked to a decreased risk of suicide, especially among Catholics.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
Against a grim backdrop of rising suicide rates among American women, new research has revealed a blinding shaft of light: One group of women — practicing Catholics — appears to have bucked the national trend toward despair and self-harm.

Compared with women who never participated in religious services, women who attended any religious service once a week or more were five times less likely to commit suicide between 1996 and 2010, says a study published Wednesday by JAMA Psychiatry.

The women's church attendance was not the only factor; which church they attended mattered as well. Protestant women who worshiped weekly at church were far less likely to take their own lives than were women who seldom or never attended services. But these same Protestant women were still seven times more likely to die by their own hand than were their devout Catholic sisters.

Among especially devout Catholic women — those in the pews more than once a week — suicides were a vanishing phenomenon. Among the 6,999 Catholic women who said they attended mass more than once a week, there was not a single suicide.
This is posted under their "Science" category. The presumption of scientism in the article is that religion is not real -- but somehow the "religious experience" is perhaps a valuable tool that is overlooked by psychologists. Like, maybe it's okay for the doctor to encourage the patient to talk with minister.

The article is unable to fathom why devout Catholic women are seven times less prone to suicide than devout Protestant women. I'm stumped, too.
The promise of things greater than life on earth will encourage some people to die to themselves for God. The mortal sin of suicide promises something worse than life for those not convinced of things greater than life on earth. Fear. Pain. Yep, been there done that. Didn’t help with the depression much though. Had to turn to the real world for that. At least the fire and brimstone Baptist preachers kept me alive long enough to self help. Then again, I have no intention of wasting away slowly. I’ve seen that too. Please Lord, let me die before that!
It is curious that devout Catholics are better protected than fire-and-brimstone Protestants. I could not have predicted this. Evangelical Christians are much better than American Catholics at "social support groups" (or whatever the psychologists want to call it).

I can only guess as why. I hypothesize that the "theology of suffering" which Apostolic Christians hold gives us so much hope against the darkness. The disease of depression is painful and deadly -- but if I endure this suffering faithfully, I can offer it up as a powerful prayer for the salvation of others. This was the joy that encouraged martyrs to sing joyfully as they faced the lions.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm

I'd say this 'theology of suffering' you claim is embraced by Catholics is not embraced by the rank and file Catholic. Is there anyone from your parish lining up to become the sacrifice in the war with Muslims? Martyrs singing joyfully as they become lion kibble is so far out there as to be extra-ordinary. That's precisely why they are remembered. One is left to assume the thousands of others who went out fighting and struggling 'till their last breath are somehow less in your eyes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:18 pm
I'd say this 'theology of suffering' you claim is embraced by Catholics is not embraced by the rank and file Catholic. Is there anyone from your parish lining up to become the sacrifice in the war with Muslims? Martyrs singing joyfully as they become lion kibble is so far out there as to be extra-ordinary. That's precisely why they are remembered. One is left to assume the thousands of others who went out fighting and struggling 'till their last breath are somehow less in your eyes.
Even the scientific study noticed that "rank-&-file" Catholics (self-identifying souls who don't hear Mass most Sundays) are no different from the secular population, suicide-wise.

Pew-sitting Catholics do understand the concept of "offering up" a sacrifice or suffering.

But if you really think that I have less regard for Godfrey de Bouillon than I do for Felicity or Perpetua or Polycarp, then we need to share another pipe.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 am
I read an article written over the weekend stating something to the effect that we are not made for fame. Considering how much the statement resonated with me, the article was kind of meh.

But if God has put eternity in our hearts, then it makes sense to a degree why we would seek 'fame' in whatever capacity. And on the same hand, because this world cannot satisfy our desire for eternity, fame will never be enough; it's only another sign post that points to something beyond this world. If we look for our satisfaction there (or anything) we will come up unfulfilled. I wonder sometimes if celebrities feel this to an extreme degree. In this world they've reached the mountain top only to find they are still unfulfilled.
We've discussed this before. I think there's something missing in many famous people. They need us to define their value. You look at Amy Winehouse and Jimmy Hedrix and you see people who emptied themselves out looking for our approval. Then you look at Johnny Cash and Tom Petty and see guys who learned - before it was too late - that they couldn't give away everything. They gave us their music but kept their soul.

Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, Robin Williams, now Anthony Bourdain. They poured out everything to entertain us.
Don't forget Kurt, and other musicians....
https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-musi ... rity-lists
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

qmechanics
Congregation
Congregation

Post by qmechanics » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:07 am

I enjoyed watching his shows. Interesting person that you could tell was wrestling with a few unspoken issues. It is a shame he could only find his way out by suicide.
Q

Del

Post by Del » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:59 pm

PEOPLE Magazine have Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade on their cover this week, lamenting the tragic loss of life and wondering why there is a ("sudden") epidemic of suicide.

Less than four years ago, PEOPLE Magazine celebrated on their cover a young woman's "choice":

ImageImage

As a culture, we need to quit thinking that killing and death are a suitable solution to any sort of problem.

This mental illness of our culture is the source of many of our cultural concerns -- suicides, "assisted" suicides, school shootings, epidemic divorces, epidemic drug addictions, transgender lifestyles, epidemic contraception, and that topic that we don't talk about. "If there's something you don't like about yourself or the world, just kill it."