Space Force!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 28685
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by coco » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 am

Will there be a division that is devoted to protecting us from hostile aliens?
Image
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Space Force!

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Image

This is the USAF Space Operators Badge. It is an higher award than jump or air assault wings. They don't award this to Army guys any more. I earned that mug. 12 weeks of training plus a solid year in the pit. 6 more months and I'd of gotten the star.
It may be a higher award than jump wings, this is new to me and I will take your word for it. I'm still proud of my jump wings, earned them in 3 weeks, 3 weeks of hell because for one thing I have asthma I didn't tell anybody about. I was going leave Fort Benning with jump wings or in a pine box. Yes I am tooting my own horn.
Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Space Force!

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Image

This is the USAF Space Operators Badge. It is an higher award than jump or air assault wings. They don't award this to Army guys any more. I earned that mug. 12 weeks of training plus a solid year in the pit. 6 more months and I'd of gotten the star.
It may be a higher award than jump wings, this is new to me and I will take your word for it. I'm still proud of my jump wings, earned them in 3 weeks, 3 weeks of hell because for one thing I have asthma I didn't tell anybody about. I was going leave Fort Benning with jump wings or in a pine box. Yes I am tooting my own horn.
Image
Toot it.
You’ve earned the right.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Space Force!

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm


Toot it.
You’ve earned the right.
Thank you. To be clear the jump wings I had were entry level.

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Space Force!

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 pm


User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 13204
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by tuttle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm

(If this needs to be moved to the Opt In Forum because it touches on politics, I'm okay with that.)

Pence unveils plan to create Space Force by 2020
Here are the four components to the Department of Defense establishing a Space Force:

First, DoD will establish a Space Development Agency to develop and field space capabilities at speed and scale. The Air Force has already begun to transform its Space and Missile Center (SMC). The Department will accelerate and extend this transformation to all services by creating a joint Space Development Agency.

Second, the Department will develop the Space Operations Force to support the Combatant Commands. These joint space warfighters will provide space expertise to combatant commanders and the Space Development Agency, and surge expertise in time of crisis to ensure that space capabilities are leveraged effectively in conflict.

Third, the Department will create the governance, services, and support functions of the Space Force. Many of these will require changes to U.S. law. The Department will build a legislative proposal for Congressional consideration as a part of the Fiscal Year 2020 budget cycle.

Fourth, the Department will create a U.S. Space Command, led by a four star general or flag officer, to lead the use of space assets in warfighting and accelerate integration of space capabilities into other warfighting forces. U.S. Space Command will be responsible for directing the employment of the Space Force.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Space Force!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 pm

I wonder what the PX will be like?
Will they have that really good AAFES popcorn like the Army?
What about a Class 6 Package store?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14805
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 am

I'm really having a hard time taking this seriously.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19393
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by wosbald » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 am

+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 am
I'm really having a hard time taking this seriously.
Image
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Space Force!

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm

There will need to be an MOS for joystick technicians.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Space Force!

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InjF8xj93LU
coco wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 am
Will there be a division that is devoted to protecting us from hostile aliens?
Image
Is not that the uniform of University of Southern California's Space Force ROTC?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23926
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Space Force!

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 am
I'm really having a hard time taking this seriously.
+1
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now
Posts: 8422
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Space Force!

Post by mont974x4 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Will asthma be an issue for prospective enlistees since your breathing canned air?

Will weight standards be higher since you weigh less in space?

Who will open the first tattoo parlor/strip joint on the moon?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6069
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Space Force!

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Seems to me Rumsfeld already addressed this, and far more efficiently, in 2002:


“As part of an ongoing initiative to transform the U.S. military, on June 26, 2002, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld announced that U.S. Space Command would merge with USSTRATCOM. The Unified Command Plan directed that Unified Combatant Commands be capped at ten, and with the formation of the new United States Northern Command, one would have to be deactivated in order to maintain that level. Thus the USSPACECOM merged into an expanded USSTRATCOM, which would retain the U.S. Strategic Command name and would be headquartered at Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska. The merger aimed to improve combat effectiveness and to speed up information collection and assessment needed for strategic decision-making.”


Seems to me we’re going backwards.


Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC
Posts: 7668
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The Mother of Presidents
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by sysiphus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 am

A space force is, in my humble opinion, a necessary thing. Currently, the Army, Navy, and Air Force are all playing roles in space, and between the overlap of missions and interdependencies of the branches on completing the smallest of tasks, not only is 'not much' getting done with regard to a defense strategy utilizing space as a portion of the battlefield, not much is getting done with regard to the current branches' core missions... Carriers vs. sensors (and the rates required to man them), Fighters/bombers vs satellite platform controllers (and the AFOSCs required to man them), tankers vs. missileers/communicators (and the MOSs required to man them). Add to this the many commands that are tasked with maintaining this defense posture in space are "joint" in that the branches are mixed and working side-by-side with a command that changes cycically (First commander is USAF, Army next, AF again...) which becomes a constant struggle to understand the changing corporate mindset - and many of these leaders having the ulterior motive during their tenure of trying to increase their branches 'slice of the pie'.

Take away the pie. Take away the distraction. Space is being used as a military tool every hour of every day by multiple entities with differing and competing goals, and just like we needed a separate branch to deal with the emerging sky-as-a-weapons-platform and created the USAF in the '40s, we now need to deal with a sphere whose radius goes out 22,000 miles further that of the earth's itself.

Cyber is next, as it should be.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 21200
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by Jocose » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 am
A space force is, in my humble opinion, a necessary thing. Currently, the Army, Navy, and Air Force are all playing roles in space, and between the overlap of missions and interdependencies of the branches on completing the smallest of tasks, not only is 'not much' getting done with regard to a defense strategy utilizing space as a portion of the battlefield, not much is getting done with regard to the current branches' core missions... Carriers vs. sensors (and the rates required to man them), Fighters/bombers vs satellite platform controllers (and the AFOSCs required to man them), tankers vs. missileers/communicators (and the MOSs required to man them). Add to this the many commands that are tasked with maintaining this defense posture in space are "joint" in that the branches are mixed and working side-by-side with a command that changes cycically (First commander is USAF, Army next, AF again...) which becomes a constant struggle to understand the changing corporate mindset - and many of these leaders having the ulterior motive during their tenure of trying to increase their branches 'slice of the pie'.

Take away the pie. Take away the distraction. Space is being used as a military tool every hour of every day by multiple entities with differing and competing goals, and just like we needed a separate branch to deal with the emerging sky-as-a-weapons-platform and created the USAF in the '40s, we now need to deal with a sphere whose radius goes out 22,000 miles further that of the earth's itself.

Cyber is next, as it should be.
Sphere? If the Earth is flat how or why would there be a sphere above it?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35769
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 am

On Slack, Munkey said that your Space Force name is "your favorite sound effect and your favorite appliance". That would make mine, "Pew Smoker".
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Space Force!

Post by Jester » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 am
On Slack, Munkey said that your Space Force name is "your favorite sound effect and your favorite appliance". That would make mine, "Pew Smoker".
Peel Out George Foreman
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35769
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Space Force!

Post by UncleBob » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 am

Jester wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am
UncleBob wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 am
On Slack, Munkey said that your Space Force name is "your favorite sound effect and your favorite appliance". That would make mine, "Pew Smoker".
Peel Out George Foreman
I can't wait to meet, "Wilhelm Scream Water Pick".
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Post Reply