Hurting your own cause...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Hurting your own cause...

Post by j1n » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am

JMG wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:26 am
I feel pretty certain his threats would have been rather tame in comparison had we been face-to-face. The online platform has a way of making lions of lambs.
this. the keyboard warriorism is rampant in social media.
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:23 am
JMG wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 am
I think JMG is right that his ex-facebook friend was hurting his own cause...but in the grand scheme of things, I think that's kind of the point. I mean, I don't think people like Eric in these situations care to have their cause heard. It's just rage at this point. And rage is the point. And the point is received.

His response that begins: "The time for treating those who would see this country destroyed with respect is over" and the 'rhetorical' threats are not isolated to himself. This is not the first time I've come across a response like this. I feel like social media intensifies this type of mentality. Nuance is virtually non-existent on social media platforms by default and it seems to have a formative effect on certain people.
I feel pretty certain his threats would have been rather tame in comparison had we been face-to-face. The online platform has a way of making lions of lambs.
I agree. Your comparison of him and a whiny child is what set me to think about the lack of nuance. When the kids are riled up nuance and reason fly out the window. Social media tends to encourage self absorption and seems to cause some people to react the same way.
I've even seen argumentative spots from... um, ... family.... that looked like falsehoods on their personal lives. Ie. "this tax break won't help me because I don't have kids" when I know the person has a child. I pondered for a while if I was not understanding a situation but then realized with the online arguing that the credibility wasn't the point.

It's weird out there.

In general, I'm not sure America is mature enough for social media. Celebrities seem to be having problems too in not "taking it too far" in their upset and trying to make a point.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm

j1n wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am
JMG wrote:
this. the keyboard warriorism is rampant in social media.
It's going take a few more years before we figure out how to do the internet. Right now, many of us think all the people we 'know' on the net are our friends when in truth we'd not hang out with those people in real life. Since we consider them friends we care about what they write when we shouldn't give it a seconds thought. Do you remember high school? Even though you knew everyone, you cliqued up with a small group and those people were important to you. Everyone else was tangential. We don't need 500 friends. We can't handle 500 friends. Hell, besides my family, I count myself lucky if I have 5 real friends.

It's never a bad idea to be nice to people, but most of them aren't worth caring about as much as we seem to think they are. I don't care where Eric is on the political spectrum. Any spectrum for that matter.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Politics has become a sporting event.
Half-truths and outright lies are acceptable.
The only thing that matters is for your team to win.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:15 pm

There's two kinds of people I won't talk politics with: people I like and people who are wrong.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:15 pm
There's two kinds of people I won't talk politics with: people I like and people who are wrong.
This
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am

JMG wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 am
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 am
Invest lightly in Facebook, JM.
Very lightly. Though I am disgusted with our journalism and enjoy a good dialogue.
I miss journalism too. I have been enjoying the podcasts on Daily Wire a lot.
JMG wrote:I recently posted something on facebook expressing my disdain for the state of our media...how they do not report the truth, but chase ratings.
It used to be that way. The priorities of the network journalists used to be:
1) Ratings.
2) Get the story right.
3) Spin the story to serve an agenda.

Modern cable news and print media seem to have these priorities inverted:
1) Push the agenda narrative.
2) Report those half-truths that serve the agenda.
3) What ratings?

CNN, in particular, has suffered a tremendous decline in their ratings. Enough that this has become its own news story. (I'd post links, but that would fairly trigger a "political discussion" warning. Google it yourselves if you care.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon