Yer Local County Fair

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Yer Local County Fair

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am

The local county fair is coming up (yes, I'm looking at you FredS). I am going to enter something this year.

Do you go?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Yer Local County Fair

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:43 am

Ours is the first weekend in August. I'll go. This is my first year here so I'm interested in comparing the regional differences. I can already see the fairs here 'bouts feature more rodeos than demolition derbies like back in MO. I'll pass on the carny crap, but I enjoy walking through the barns and even the buildings with 4H projects that most people without 4Hers pass by. It's also interesting to see the latest whiz-bang tech in tractors and harvesters.

What are you showing Bob? I wonder if there's an open class for mead?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am

I live in Lubbock which was a dry county until recently so no alcohol still. I will be entering a bread category (still thinking about it) and a pie category. The family loves doing this so I participate.

I like seeing the 4H animals. Each year we go to see the "Elvis chickens" (what the kids called chickens with fancy hair when they were young).

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am
The local county fair is coming up (yes, I'm looking at you FredS). I am going to enter something this year.

Do you go?
Beer?

This was the first year that alcohol and a beer tent was allowed at our fair. Lots of church ladies disapproved.

Also, we had the one of the highest turn outs, if not the highest, ever. Could it have been the beer? Hmmmm?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:39 am

The thing about beer tents is that (generally) responsible people will be responsible. The 'bad drunks' will get their fill at home or on the drive to the event if they can't get it on site.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am
I will be entering a bread category (still thinking about it) and a pie category. The family loves doing this so I participate.
That's as good a reason as any. Better than most. I don't want to sound corny, but if you can get the kids interested in the whole county fair deal when they're young it'll likely stick and not many events are more wholesome than the fair.

(That is, if you disregard the fact that my virginity was popped in the hay covered goose neck of a stock trailer at the county fair. I wasn't always the angelic fella you know and love now.)

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:57 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am
I will be entering a bread category (still thinking about it) and a pie category. The family loves doing this so I participate.
That's as good a reason as any. Better than most. I don't want to sound corny, but if you can get the kids interested in the whole county fair deal when they're young it'll likely stick and not many events are more wholesome than the fair.

(That is, if you disregard the fact that my virginity was popped in the hay covered goose neck of a stock trailer at the county fair. I wasn't always the angelic fella you know and love now.)
The Girl and The Boy are doing some art project this year (its top secret, it seems) and Mrs UB is doing some embroidery. The Ladies usually bake something as well.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Fred, going to miss the Missouri State Fair ain't ya.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:25 pm

I work at the Big Fresno Fair for the alcohol concessionaire. Lots of fun every September!
https://www.fresnofair.com/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:33 pm

mustangii wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:06 pm
Fred, going to miss the Missouri State Fair ain't ya.
I won't miss how freaking hot it is in Sedalia in August, but I will miss that it was only and hour and a half drive for me.

I've always thought the MO State Fair is a month too early. It forces all the county fairs to be wrapped up by the end of July and that's too soon for some crops to be in. In KS (where I grew up) the state fair is early in September, which gives plenty of time for crops and vegetables to be harvested and shown in August. It also gives the kids a few more weeks to prep and work with their livestock. For chickens and rabbits that extra (hot) month may be a bad thing, but who really cares about chickens and rabbits anyway? As I wrote earlier my local county fair is the first weekend in August and that's exactly when the MO state fair starts.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:02 am

Our county fair is this week and we always attend. Picked up six bags of BBQ Pork Rinds. I'm not a pork rind nut but it's a good chip alternative for the keto diet.

The "Elvis" chicken is a golden laced Polish. We had Tolbunt Polish for a brief time which are a hybrid cross that included the golden laced. Beautiful birds but crazy and very flighty. The kids decided last year that they didn't want to show chickens anymore at the fair so we are observers only now but it sure was fun while it lasted. We still keep chickens but just for fun and eggs now.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:04 am

Mrs. UB starts a new job August 1. She found out that she will be helping with the animals at the Fair this year as part of her duties. She is sad that there are no llamas.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am

An hour and a half just to get in and park. Shoulder to shoulder people, no thanks, never again.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am
An hour and a half just to get in and park. Shoulder to shoulder people, no thanks, never again.
Try again. 1 word. Corndogs.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Deep fried butter

It's Keto!

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm
Deep fried butter

It's Keto!
:cheese:
The one who states his case first seems right,
until the other comes and examines him. -Proverbs 18:17

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm old enough to remember when the fair was the only place you could buy questionable (but yummy) food cooked by a hairy man in a rickety truck.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Fried Coke

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 am
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am

Do you go?
Beer?

This was the first year that alcohol and a beer tent was allowed at our fair. Lots of church ladies disapproved.

Also, we had the one of the highest turn outs, if not the highest, ever. Could it have been the beer? Hmmmm?
Great photo of The Church Lady.
Mind if I use it if I ever do any moderating?
Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Fried Snickers