Yer Local County Fair

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Yer Local County Fair

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:53 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 pm
I'm old enough to remember when the fair was the only place you could buy questionable (but yummy) food cooked by a hairy man in a rickety truck.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:09 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am
I live in Lubbock which was a dry county until recently so no alcohol still. I will be entering a bread category (still thinking about it) and a pie category. The family loves doing this so I participate.

I like seeing the 4H animals. Each year we go to see the "Elvis chickens" (what the kids called chickens with fancy hair when they were young).

That chicken has some pretty wild plumage. I love it. A high contrast stain chicken
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:41 pm

I petted a sheep at a county fair in Tucson in the early 1980's for the first time. I had never seen a sheep live before and this one was a lamb. I asked permission from the young gal who was over the lamb if I could pet it and she looked at me like I had four heads.

Great times.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:51 pm

I saw a live two-headed calf at a fair once.
Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:27 am

Do they have any fried goat nuggets?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm
Deep fried butter

It's Keto!
Now that almost makes sense-- not the imagery but a dollop of butter inside some dough that is then cooked (fried).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am

The truck and tractor pulls are a lot of fun. My cousin and her family have a couple of trucks and make the county fair rounds in Missouri. I don't know if it will let you play due to her security settings, but here's her son winning first place last year at Laclede County's fair in Lebanon, Mo.:

https://www.facebook.com/ppalmer1/videos/vb.1317241873/10210029121707409/?type=3

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:04 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am
The truck and tractor pulls are a lot of fun. My cousin and her family have a couple of trucks and make the county fair rounds in Missouri. I don't know if it will let you play due to her security settings, but here's her son winning first place last year at Laclede County's fair in Lebanon, Mo.:

https://www.facebook.com/ppalmer1/videos/vb.1317241873/10210029121707409/?type=3
Sorry, this content isn't available right now
:(
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am
The truck and tractor pulls are a lot of fun.
As a teen I 'worked' at a fair that was a local grange-type fair, much smaller than the county fair. They had antique tractor pulls and instead of one of those mechanical sleds that move the weight higher/closer to the tractors hitch they just had a big ol' metal sled that used people as a progressive weight. Each person stood next to a stake in the ground and stepped on the sled as it went by. Sort of like stepping on to a moving sidewalk at the airport. In order to keep the meet consistent, we were 'paid' in free drinks to stand out in the sun all afternoon.

One of my friends pulled a tractor that had metal spikes on the rear wheels (not rims). I drove it once. Bumpy as heck on packed turf.

The Vinland KS Fair is still going on. I see on their website that they've upgraded to a mechanical pulling sled.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:27 am

Mrs. UB now has to help judge the canned vegetables. She HATES canned vegetables.

I may have been smacked as I chuckled. Maybe.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 am

Our Fair features horse racing.
I like it when the mules get to race.
I also like to get to work early and hang out at the track watching the horses exercise.
One of concessionaires opens early to sell epic breakfast burritos to the fair employees getting ready for the day. :taco:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am

Best County fair isn't county --> Pennsylvania Farm Show, largest indoor agricultural exhibition in US,without the midway.
Always happens 2nd week of January.This is the cousin to all state fairs, unique in that it all happens indoors,in a controlled environment.
There are 4 large indoor arenas,plus a pro-rodeo event, and...largest butter sculpture in USA.
'Course one has to pay for parking- this writer has found a workaround involving a 5" walk to the complex.
I attend religiously.
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:56 am

This is from the Texas State Fair:

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:27 am
Mrs. UB now has to help judge the canned vegetables. She HATES canned vegetables.

I may have been smacked as I chuckled. Maybe.
Heh. Maybe she'll find one she likes.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 pm

peter cornbriar wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am
Best County fair isn't county --> Pennsylvania Farm Show, largest indoor agricultural exhibition in US,without the midway.
Always happens 2nd week of January.This is the cousin to all state fairs, unique in that it all happens indoors,in a controlled environment.
There are 4 large indoor arenas,plus a pro-rodeo event, and...largest butter sculpture in USA.
'Course one has to pay for parking- this writer has found a workaround involving a 5" walk to the complex.
I attend religiously.

I've never been to this personally, but I lose a decent chunk of kids in my classes to the field trip to the Farm Show, and/or their parents take them. At least where I teach, there's a good bit of crossover with the FFA and the brighter kids that take my college level class, so it sometimes makes planning difficult. I've personally never been, but I have become more interested in homestead sized agriculture in the last 2-3 years, so perhaps I would find something interesting. Truly, I've only ever been to the Farm Show Complex to attend the gun show held there a few times a year. Largest one in the area.

As for the county fair, I haven't been to mine since high school. However, I have thought about going and purchasing an animal for meat. A local butcher shop will get your animal for you, butcher it, and call you when it's ready. Ours just wrapped up yesterday, so I'll have to wait till next year (need a bigger freezer for that, anyway).