Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Anyone know the differences between Longhorn, Colby, and American cheese?
I haven't a clue :no:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21495
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:55 pm
Anyone know the differences between Longhorn, Colby, and American cheese?
I haven't a clue :no:
Longhorn and colby are mild cheddar variants created by Del's people. American is imitation cheese.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks!
Does someone go out and actually milk longhorns? :confused:
Who is Colby?
So American cheese is fake cheese, eh? That figures.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37204
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Del » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm
Thanks!
Does someone go out and actually milk longhorns? :confused:
Who is Colby?
So American cheese is fake cheese, eh? That figures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcS1yobHSmw
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37204
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Del » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Colby cheese. Longhorn is colby cheese, formed in a long round tube suitable for slicing.

Colby, WI, is up nort', about 2-1/2 hours drive from my home.

American "processed cheese food."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 6719
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:46 pm

-The best cheese in my book is an extra sharp white cheddar.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:26 pm
Colby cheese. Longhorn is colby cheese, formed in a long round tube suitable for slicing.

Colby, WI, is up nort', about 2-1/2 hours drive from my home.

American "processed cheese food."
Thanks, Del!
Does all Colby come from Colby? Like Bourbon has to come from Bourbon County?
I know that not all Monterey comes from Monterey--very little actually, I don't think they're zone for cows there anymore!
Cheese is funny that way.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:51 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:46 pm
-The best cheese in my book is an extra sharp white cheddar.
Indeed, that is good cheese, from especially from Herkimer.

We haven't had a cheese thread in quite awhile---this is fun!

More than anyone ever wanted to know about Herkimer---
https://littlefallscheesefestival.com/h ... an-ressue/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 37204
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Del » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:43 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:26 pm
Colby cheese. Longhorn is colby cheese, formed in a long round tube suitable for slicing.

Colby, WI, is up nort', about 2-1/2 hours drive from my home.

American "processed cheese food."
Thanks, Del!
Does all Colby come from Colby? Like Bourbon has to come from Bourbon County?
I know that not all Monterey comes from Monterey--very little actually, I don't think they're zone for cows there anymore!
Cheese is funny that way.
Wikipedia knows all:
In 1885, Joseph F. Steinwand developed a new type of cheese at his father's cheese factory near Colby, Wisconsin. The cheese was named after the village,[1] which had been founded three years earlier.[2] While Colby cheese is still widely available, it is no longer produced in Colby. A festival commemorating the cheese is held every year in mid-July, where all local food booths offer free Colby cheese.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12291
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Thoth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Through the wonders of science you can turn any cheese into melty American cheese style slices. Just takes some sodium citrate (often referred to sour salt in canning circles) some sort of liquid (water or beer or whatever) and cheese of choice. Bring liquid and sodium citrate to a simmer add cheese blending it until smooth, then poor out onto a cookie sheet cool and cut into squares...
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 pm

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm
Through the wonders of science you can turn any cheese into melty American cheese style slices. Just takes some sodium citrate (often referred to sour salt in canning circles) some sort of liquid (water or beer or whatever) and cheese of choice. Bring liquid and sodium citrate to a simmer add cheese blending it until smooth, then poor out onto a cookie sheet cool and cut into squares...
Frankencheese? 8O
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 9164
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm
Through the wonders of science you can turn any cheese into melty American cheese style slices. Just takes some sodium citrate (often referred to sour salt in canning circles) some sort of liquid (water or beer or whatever) and cheese of choice. Bring liquid and sodium citrate to a simmer add cheese blending it until smooth, then poor out onto a cookie sheet cool and cut into squares...
That's sort of how to make catfish bait as well. Just add some oil of anise, and pour into a deeper pan for thicker slices. Works wonders on trotlines.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Maytag is another cheese anomaly---blue cheese made from cow's milk rather than sheep's milk. It's quite good, too!
https://www.maytagdairyfarms.com/our-history/
The famous Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite served Maytag cheeseburgers but since it became The Majestic Yosemite Hotel they substituted Humbolt Fog blue cheese which is produced from sheep's milk
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12291
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Thoth » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 am

So catfish bait is basically anise flavored velveeta? Interesting.


Then there are two hybrid cheese cambezola (a mix between camembert and gorgonxola) and saga blue brie (brie and Danish blue cheese) both taste really good and are very mild so if you wanted to try blue cheese but where afraid these are good entry points.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:13 am

Thoth wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 am
So catfish bait is basically anise flavored velveeta? Interesting.
Now I've got this notion of catfish enjoying cheese and crackers at an underwater artist's reception running through my brain.
How do they keep their crackers from disintegrating in the water?
How do they keep the water from diluting their Vin Rose?
I never knew Catfish led such interesting lives!

FWIW, The Dairy Goddess is a recent(2016) cheese maker in my area. She sells her cheese at local Farmer's Markets and a soft frommage blanc is her specialty
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Sledin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 am

My sister in law brought some Gouda back from the Netherlands, that was the best cheese.
Our most recent discovery was Edam cheese.
We have an international award winning cheese plant not far away, my saying is "when in Bothwell..... I buy cheese"


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:37 am

"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23436
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 am

And yet another cheese question---
Do you add cheese to an omelette before folding it over, or do you put it on top afterwards?
Does it matter if the omelette is a singular cheese omelette? Or if the cheese is one of many components, for example in a spinach, mushroom and Jack omelette?
Or does the type of cheese have anything to do with the location? I don't recollect ever seeing cream cheese on top of an omelette but I have seen slices of cheese melted on top.

Your thoughts? :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12291
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: Yikes! A cheese conundrum!

Post by Thoth » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:13 am
Thoth wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 am
So catfish bait is basically anise flavored velveeta? Interesting.
Now I've got this notion of catfish enjoying cheese and crackers at an underwater artist's reception running through my brain.
How do they keep their crackers from disintegrating in the water?
How do they keep the water from diluting their Vin Rose?
I never knew Catfish led such interesting lives!

FWIW, The Dairy Goddess is a recent(2016) cheese maker in my area. She sells her cheese at local Farmer's Markets and a soft frommage blanc is her specialty
They use water crackers of course.

Not a dairy goddess but I met the 2018 dairy princess and NJ State Fair & Farm and Horse show a couple of weekends ago.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Post Reply