The Traffic Citation Fee Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

The Traffic Citation Fee Thread

Post by peter cornbriar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 am

G'Mornin!

Here in PA the fee schedule for traffic citations AKA moving violations AKA green stamps is Draconian.

The fine itself starts at $25. Hey, that's not so bad,right - but wait.
There are surcharges, and several , which can bring the total cost of the alleged violation into the hundreds.

Surcharges itemized, some are sliding scale based on the sin, (as of 2013, and I apologize for not downloading/uploading pie chart):
1) General Fund $30-300
2) Court costs,(keeps the lights on in the District Justice office): $37
3) Emergency Medical Service,(pays for the enhanced 911 program): $10
4) Judicial ComputerProgram/Access to Justice Account: $10

Total $97 minimum

Add that to the actual fine and the cheapest ticket costs $122.
It goes up for there depending on the sin committed.I paid $135 for a non-point violation for 5mph over the speed limit recently.
Don't get me started on the PA point system,(keeps insurers happy).

What about Traffic Citation costs in your neck of the woods?
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Re: The Traffic Citation Fee Thread

Post by Hovannes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 am

Get a horse?Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

peter cornbriar

Post by peter cornbriar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 am
Get a horse?Image
Like my amish neighbors? Maybe get a straw hat,too, and a black buttonless outfit?
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am

I’m from PA and just visited family in Berks, Bradford and Tioga counties. In order to commiserate with you let me just say that PA is by definition draconian in almost everything it does. Buying beer, no hunting on Sundays, and so on, it’s ridiculous. The only time I ever even get a speeding ticket is in PA except for one in Maryland. Twenty plus years in the west, never got a speeding ticket. The liberal issuance of speeding tickets is the first draconian problem. Just sayin. :mrgreen:

I think this area in Texas is also draconian. Cops love hanging out along the highways with radar guns. I suspect I will be gifted with a speeding ticket here soon as well.

Sorry, I can’t answer your actual question. I can only commiserate. Only 5 mph over? Really? Is that what the police officer put down on the ticket or is that what you actually were driving? You don’t need to answer that, but that is also draconian enforcement of speeding unless the weather was really bad.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am

It depends on the county/city you're in for Texas. The cheapest in Texas start around $75 for some non-moving violations to well over $1000 for severe stuff like passing a loading/unloading school buses or compounded speeding violations.

Big municipalities really get you. Five mph over can cost you $300+ in many places.

Everyone has surcharges and accessory fees they add on, too.

By and large I'm not opposed to big fees. I get really angry, though, when the revenue generated is spent on stupid crap instead of important needs all of our aging cities have, but I guess that's for another thread.

Just so you'll know, if you get pulled over in Houston and have an unlicensed dog in your car, it's an extra $199. Be safe out there.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:13 am

There isn't a lot of traffic here in this very small town I live in the Sonoran Desert of AZ but Pima Sheriffs train their new folk here so there's quite a presence. Through traffic increases on Fri, Sat , Sun with city folk going to Rocky Point, MX. One Friday evening on the 2 lane road with no shoulder that goes past our school saw in my bicycle side view mirror a vehicle approaching fast behind me. He would have whizzed by me a foot or two away except an oncoming vehicle was a Sheriff's patrol vehicle. The driver suddenly slowed down with the officer stopped, hesitated and then went by me within two feet. I later learned from this officer that he turned around and stopped that vehicle and cited him with a $400 fine for not waiting and going into the opposite lane around a bicycle.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:17 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am

I think this area in Texas is also draconian. Cops love hanging out along the highways with radar guns. I suspect I will be gifted with a speeding ticket here soon as well.
+1

All of the state is like that, but the North Texas area, from say Fairfield to the he Red River, has a long and rich history of rigid speed traps and aggressive traffic policing. Add to that each area can be patrolled by State, county, and city agencies. In our county Texas DPS, city PD, county Sheriff, county Constable, and school district PDs all cover the same piece of the pie.

peter cornbriar

Post by peter cornbriar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:20 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am
I’m from PA and just visited family in Berks, Bradford and Tioga counties. In order to commiserate with you let me just say that PA is by definition draconian in almost everything it does. Buying beer, no hunting on Sundays, and so on, it’s ridiculous. The only time I ever even get a speeding ticket is in PA except for one in Maryland. Twenty plus years in the west, never got a speeding ticket. The liberal issuance of speeding tickets is the first draconian problem. Just sayin. :mrgreen:

Sorry, I can’t answer your actual question. I can only commiserate. Only 5 mph over? Really? Is that what the police officer put down on the ticket or is that what you actually were driving? You don’t need to answer that, but that is also draconian enforcement of speeding unless the weather was really bad.
I was doing 47 in a 30 zone. The cop, because of my politeness and maybe answering his question about where I worked ,(State Prison nearby), told me he could have cited me for the 17 mph above the limit,(Big $ fine), and almost apologetically, told me that the stop was part of a dedicated speed enforcement operation, and that he cited me for 5 mph above - less $ fine and no points on my license.

BTW in PA, only the State Police can use radar. All other law enforcement use other means to bag drivers,(like VASCAR).

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Traffic moves so slowly here (all days and all hours) that it is next to impossible to even get to the posted speed.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS