Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am

I missed both the central and south zone dove openers, but made the early teal season opener this past Sat with my grandson. We saw very few teal and only one half-way decoyed, which I very handily missed. But the sunrise was beautiful, and other birds plentiful, including this flock of black bellied whistling ducks that decoyed and came right in.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:55 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am
I missed both the central and south zone dove openers, but made the early teal season opener this past Sat with my grandson. We saw very few teal and only one half-way decoyed, which I very handily missed. But the sunrise was beautiful, and other birds plentiful, including this flock of black bellied whistling ducks that decoyed and came right in.

Do you see more doves in town or out of town? I have a bevy in my back yard that is at least 30+ strong.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am

A duck blind (or boat) is about the best place in the world to be for sunrise. But dang, I don't know if I've ever hunted water fowl at temperatures above freezing. Even early teal season is cold at the crack of dawn where I'm from. For a couple years though, my buddy worked for the propane company so he hooked us up with a tank and a heater for "The Dentist's Blind". We parked at a dentist's house and walked through his pasture to get to the blind. It was fancy. Gun racks and a shelf for shells along the front, doors on both ends, built on old locust fence post skids with a cable so we could drag it around with a truck.

Do you guys name your blinds? What's the one you were hunting from the other day?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am

Definitely lots of doves in town, but hard to compare with birds seen in agricultural areas. Birds feed where the food is, and have places they go for grit and for roosting, so who knows where the lines are.

As far a names of blinds, ours has a number, #41 in fact.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:13 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am
Definitely lots of doves in town, but hard to compare with birds seen in agricultural areas. Birds feed where the food is, and have places they go for grit and for roosting, so who knows where the lines are.
Speaking of lines - Will you shoot and eat a pigeon? It's pretty much just a big dove.

My friend Jim used to. He said he'd only eat 'country pigeons', not city ones. I asked where's the line? Maybe what you think is a country pigeon is really city pigeon who's on vacation.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:13 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am
Speaking of lines - Will you shoot and eat a pigeon? It's pretty much just a big dove.

My friend Jim used to. He said he'd only eat 'country pigeons', not city ones. I asked where's the line? Maybe what you think is a country pigeon is really city pigeon who's on vacation.
:rotfl:
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 pm

I went teal hunting with an old buddy of mine from college yesterday. There was no phone service and so we couldn't see the weather radar, but the full moon was in full view and we couldn't hear any thunder, so off we went into the marsh. No sooner did we get set up before the bottom fell out. Luckily, with no lightning. There was intermittent rain all morning.

Finally a small group of teal came in from my friend's side. He shot once before his gun jammed, the empty hull not ejecting. As the group shot straight up and away I finally got a clear shot and dropped one that hit the water and swam over to the small island in view in the above pic. We never found it. Where was the retriever? At home unhappily resting. But with the warm weather we didn't want to chance the dog with gators about.

See the netting that covers the motor? When my hunting partner removed the net, the key, at some unknown point, came out and fell into the water. We never found it. (I cropped the pic to protect his identity, lest he be embarrassed for not having a float on the key, or at least the key tied off like a kill switch.)

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

In the next pic, way in the distance past the small island, at the farthest patch of marsh cane, we waded, pushing the boat along, to that point. We then climbed into the boat from out of chest-deep water, and made a left turn there, across a deep slough, and then poled and paddled the remaining ~1/2 mile to the landing. Approx 1 mile total.

Not too bad an adventure for a couple of 66 yr old duck hunters. But I know what I'm getting my buddy for an early Christmas gift.

Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Unkinjoe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 pm

We got a late start sowing wheat, and had only a few birds at a new plot my son bought recently. But I didn't hear of many folks having a lot of birds, lots of corn planted around here this year and harvested just at the start of the season so I imagine they were filling up on that.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:36 am

Finally, a hunt resulting with some pics of Blue-Winged Teal. I wasn't planning to go this morning, but when my grandson came by to get the Ranger by himself I got my gun and waders and went with him. It was a good morning, and we dropped 8 birds. And this time we were in the field instead of marsh so the pup could come along, which was a good thing because she made some great retrieves on a couple birds that we wouldn't have bagged otherwise.

We had an audience for a little while.

A good morning and a limit of teal.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 pm
. . .we waded, pushing the boat along, to that point. We then climbed into the boat from out of chest-deep water, and made a left turn there, across a deep slough, and then poled and paddled the remaining ~1/2 mile to the landing. Approx 1 mile total. . .
BTDT. In ice!

Last time my buddy and I hunted geese from a boat we drug the boat through about a half mile of ice, busting a path through all the way. When we finally made it to open water and out to the point we wanted to hunt the sun was up and the birds were moving. We set up, but it was no use. At least we were able to motor back to the ramp through the channel we'd broke open a few hours before. Neither of us have hunted out of a boat since.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:29 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 pm
. . .we waded, pushing the boat along, to that point. We then climbed into the boat from out of chest-deep water, and made a left turn there, across a deep slough, and then poled and paddled the remaining ~1/2 mile to the landing. Approx 1 mile total. . .
BTDT. In ice!

Last time my buddy and I hunted geese from a boat we drug the boat through about a half mile of ice, busting a path through all the way. When we finally made it to open water and out to the point we wanted to hunt the sun was up and the birds were moving. We set up, but it was no use. At least we were able to motor back to the ramp through the channel we'd broke open a few hours before. Neither of us have hunted out of a boat since.
Wow, man. We could have used some ice, we were drenched in sweat.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Love your photos, Tim.
Thanks.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Looks like a great early season hunt!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Here are a couple of scenery pics from weekend before last.

Parked here and walked off to the left about 1/4 mile and put up 3 birds...2 came home in my vest.

I didn't get pics of the gun and birds...battery was dead on the phone.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Parked here and walked off to the left about 1/4 mile and put up 3 birds...2 came home in my vest.

Do you ever hunt those with rifles? I assume you were after the blue grouse again. Beautiful country, that’s for sure.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Beautiful! Do you hunt with a dog?

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 pm

I need to figure out my plans for the season. It’s a long story, but I’m back in home sweet California again at least for now. The Texas state bar has a lot to do with that. Anyway, the drought persists in the local mountains, the deserts have too many snakes until November for me to chance it with the dogs. I’m contemplating a trip to Arizona for Mearns quail this year.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 am

In my early grouse hunting, I have taken a few grouse with a .22 rifle, one year my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary (Sept 30th) in Silverton, and we went for a drive on a 4x4 pass road and she saw a grouse, all I had with me was a Ruger .22 pistol. I went over the hill after the grouse and wound up shooting 3 (a limit is 3) with the pistol.

Now I carry a shotgun when hunting grouse...much more fun to take them on the wing.

Tim, no dog...There is no time for a pup with my work schedule...some days we are gone 16 hours...so having a dog again will have to wait...so I walk the birds up myself.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:55 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 am
In my early grouse hunting, I have taken a few grouse with a .22 rifle, one year my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary (Sept 30th) in Silverton, and we went for a drive on a 4x4 pass road and she saw a grouse, all I had with me was a Ruger .22 pistol. I went over the hill after the grouse and wound up shooting 3 (a limit is 3) with the pistol.

Now I carry a shotgun when hunting grouse...much more fun to take them on the wing.
I saw Sooty grouse but a handful of times on the western slopes of the Sierras. Usually up in a tree. It looks like a good game for spot and stalk with traditional archery equipment, air rifle, or rimfire. Different kind of fun maybe? :)

I can see my spaniels trying to climb the spruce trees to flush those so that I can shoot em on the wing with a shotgun. :lol:

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:13 pm

When out walking with no gun, or with an Elk rifle, Blues (Dusky) will normally wait till you almost step on them and then flush up into a tree and look at you like it was your fault...that's why some big game hunters call them "fool's hens". But they are a different bird when you have a shotgun and are looking for them...they will often flush like a pheasant and they have a habit of putting a tree between them and you as they fly. The first one I ever took on the wing, was one flushed by my buddy and it flew between 2 trees blocking his shot, but I was down slope and when the bird passed the 2nd tree, I took the shot and that was dinner in the bag.
Scott ( aka - Thor )