Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:31 pm
It is categorically wrong to shoot at a roosting turkey or ground sluice a bird. Dont leave a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge barrel. Cover me twice and expect to be physically assaulted. Dont try to hit anyone with falling birds. Finger off the g-d trigger until you are ready to fire. Any man with brand new hunting clothes is the man I stand behind in the field. A man who comes out in blue jeans and a semi-auto duck gun knows his business. I may not say anything, but I'll cut you dead on the street if I see you beat your dog. Dont leave birds if you can find them.

These are the only things for me that are hard and fast rules.
This. I’d only add that I prefer to hunt with people who treat every creature they hunt with respect and gratitude.

A lot of territory covered in the last page or so!

Regarding Woodmont Lodge, I understand that “hunts” there are over pen-raised birds, hence, I suspect, hugo’s qualified use of the term. Perhaps the preference for rough hunting over driven birds (a shared preference) also contributes to the qualification.

I have never taken part in a driven shoot, but I was once invited to participate in a double gun tower shoot - a combination side-by-side gun event and a simulation of a driven shoot where hundreds of hard flying pheasants were launched from a high tower to simulate high, driven birds. It was just that, a shoot. Not a hunt. Dogs worked as retrievers only, not as pointing dogs. It was a slaughter.

I walked back to my rig after maybe a half hour or so and already an ungodly number of dead birds and sat with my dog until the shoot was over. The organizer gave a few of us permission to walk the surrounding fields with our dogs to hunt up birds that had escaped. My dog got some work. I got to do some hunting. And we were much happier off alone together.

Depending on the facilities where the birds are raised, pen raised birds - as you know - can be quite disappointing or pretty wild seeming. Given the loss of habitat we’re facing, sadly, pen-raised birds will be all some bird hunters will ever know.

It would be great to get a report after the shoot, hugo.

My understanding is that Woodmont was all private until the land was donated to the state under a complex agreement that involves private club use during part of the year with public access during other times and different rules on different parts of the property. I’ve never been there, but I’ve seen pictures of the clubhouse and it looks absolutely beautiful.

As far as gun dogs and critters you're not hunting . . .

My experience with my own dogs is limited to English setters, but I’ve hunted upland over a fair number of friend’s pointers, shorthairs, Brittanies, a Spinone and one pointing yellow lab! I’m probably forgetting a dog or two.

In my experience regarding that particular behavior some is a consequence of breed and some of it the individual dog. My dogs only very rarely pointed tweetie birds if we were hunting and there were game birds around. When they’re playing in the yard at home and not hunting they point tweeties all the time. They seem to know what’s expected of them on a hunt. I had one setter that pointed a few tweeties early on, but after being called off rarely pointed them again while hunting.

Although I always thought I would very much like to learn the ways of woodcock and see my dogs work them, I’ve never had the opportunity.
I had a feeling that you would be able to put my poorly expressed thoughts together into coherent, concise prose. I'm not from a family with a great sporting tradition, nor have I the field experience of you nor many of the men here. I would have loved to hunt or fish with you or sweet and sour. We shot for the pot as a child, but I still remember the rules of those older fellows. Shoot cleanly, kill quickly, and dont forget that thing in your hand is beautiful and you killed it. Some of those men never fired a shot. They were there because they loved working their dogs and guns just got in the way.

You really hit the nail on the head regarding my hesitation. This isnt really a hunt. We are paying for exclusivity, and not even to get genuine exclusivity. It's a service, and like any service, they're paid to provide the experience. And that means a big bag, not necessarily good sport. The lodge cant afford for a guest to get skunked, after all, even though that's part of authentic hunting. I checked the guest list and I know many of the men. Two confirmed bird hogs, one money mouth, and 6 good guys. That leaves three question marks. I'm sure it will be fun, but I know I'm larping this time.

And driven birds are like a pigeon shoot. Scoring. Not a whit of care for all those dead birds off to a homeless shelter. How many did you get? Misses become shameful. 100 shells, 60 birds. Care for a cigar?

I read an interesting piece the other day that suggested the driven shoot didnt become popular until the invention of the ejector, which is a very interesting theory. In the days of the wheel lock you didnt have a prayer of hitting a bird on the wing, and so they sluiced them. With the flintlock came wildfowling and some walked up shooting, but even those didnt really come into their own before tube locks and percussion caps. And with non ejecting guns, you simply couldn't fire fast enough. I dont know how much I buy that, given the fact Lord Ripon could shoot as quickly and as well as he did with hammer guns and loaders, but it is a charming idea.

Never managed to say anything about thunk's bunny, but that's hunting done right. Cleanly killed and cooked with care and eaten by an excited kid. Only way that gets better is if his son shot it.

As an aside, I forgot to add one more pet peeve to the list. I cant bear to watch a man spin a wounded bird to break its neck. Last thing that poor thing needs is to die dizzy. Carry a priest and make it quick. Feel a little guilty. Besides, a grown man doing the fan dance with a seven pound bird looks ridiculous.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 pm
Took my new rifle out for a walk while scouting for quail today. I planned to test its accuracy on bullseyes out there, but the wind was stiff, so I opted for practical shooting instead. I zeroed in my rifle using normal field shooting positions. Aimed at little pebbles between 10 and 60 yards away and made scope adjustments as needed.

The mil dot and AO scope is great for this rifle. The pellets drop fast after 40 yards but the mil dots help with that and the wind. I can really hit with this thing!

Not much game here, yet. It needs a wet year. Fire went through here two years ago and still drought conditions. No sign of quail and few rabbits, not even Jacks. This area used to be loaded with game.

But this little guy showed himself to me at 47 yards away. One shot through the head off hand.

It was a nice afternoon with son 2. He ate the rabbit for dinner. Deep fried.

Glad the new air rifle is a shooter, Thunk.
You are too, apparently!

That fried rabbit looks mighty good.
My kid liked it just fine.

I suspect that you might have at least some appreciation for the knowledge of airguns.

I will do more serious target work later to see just how good it really is. I was concerned that it wasn’t going to be a good shooter in a practical sense. It was a leap of faith for me. I went to Airguns of Arizona specifically for the Weihrauch HW50. A medium powered spring piston rifle known for being a well made rifle with great shooting manners for a “Springer.” The opposite of what typically sells in America for adult air rifle shooters. But they didn’t have one in stock for me, so we got to talking and looking and decided I could take this one, a very different rifle with more power and a gas piston. I was very apprehensive about this and seriously thought about downsizing to the HW30 instead, but he (the clerk) assured me that I could get the HW 50 or HW 30 later and that given my most immediate needs, I would be happy with the Diana 340 n-tec to fill certain duties I had and felt certain that I would shoot it fine, especially in the 22 caliber given my experience and the way I immediately shouldered the rifles, which is different than how one would hold other rifles. He agreed that this rifle in 177 would in fact be hard to shoot well under normal field shooting conditions and advised against it even when I asked to take the “classic” home with me that they only had in that caliber. Instead he sold me this premium model at classic prices since that’s the only one they had in 22 caliber and within my budget, which was basically 25 percent off.

I believe this rifle is very accurate, not top accuracy, but long range hunting accurate out to maximum break barrel ranges and very close to top accuracy. I was consistently hitting golf ball sized targets out there if I did my part and paid attention to my technique with it, which is managable. I will get an HW50 and/or HW30 later for family plinking and hunter class field target practice sessions when we go out Jeeping and exploring in the mountains.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Company from out of state is here for the weekend...so no hunting this weekend...but have already worked out a hunt with a friend for next weekend. It may be the last for the year because I am starting to think about ducks and geese...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Deer hunters in the eastern Sierra Navadas are reporting good quail and chukar numbers this year. That's close enough for the weekends! :dance:

My dogs are in terrible shape though, and probably forgot that they are bird dogs. Boot camp for the dogs begins next week. Quail season starts soon, but I will wait until November or so to take them.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:55 pm
Deer hunters in the eastern Sierra Navadas are reporting good quail and chukar numbers this year. That's close enough for the weekends! :dance:

My dogs are in terrible shape though, and probably forgot that they are bird dogs. Boot camp for the dogs begins next week. Quail season starts soon, but I will wait until November or so to take them.
The good news is that when the dogs are done working birds, I will nearby some of the best fly fishing in the region. Got to remember to take the fly rod.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm

We *need* a fly fishing and a bird dog emoji. We talk as much about those things as we do pipe and tobacco these days.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:35 am

I’ve been so busy. We halfway moved, been trying to restart business, unpack the boxes in my garage and finally racing to prepare for the bird season which has already begun. I plan to load some bismuth shells for the 16 gauges this week to meet regulations. Not sure exactly where I want to go yet. The local areas are still suffering from the drought, but I should be able to get a few weekends in Arizona or central California. My dogs are in poor shape, but I have been getting them out for good exercise and I’m confident that their instincts will kick in out there. They’re obedient and stay close like good spaniels should.

But the biggest problem of all is that I still don’t have my Jeep ready, I’m about ready to lock my brother-in-law in his shop with my Jeep to finish it. All it needs is body and paint, getrdone dude! My car sux off pavement, I tried it last weekend. Bottomed out twice on easy dirt roads. It really puts limits on things until I get high clearance again.

I did find some chukar in the campground two weeks ago. Can’t hunt those particular birds, but it was encouraging to see them.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 am
Not sure if this is the right place. Durango will probably understand why.

I have the incredible good fortune to be invited to Woodmont Lodge in Maryland this Sunday through Monday.
It's a bizarre itinerary. Walked up pheasant, driven pheasant (not my favorite-a real challenge, to be sure, but in the wrong hands, a real slaughter), and driven Turkey, of all things. Apparently they even have a turkey catapult, which I would disagree with on moral grounds if I didnt consider turkeys to be an abomination.

Anyway, I'm hoping to snag a smoke out of Sitting Bull's peace pipe (apparently he handed them out like Rockefeller dimes) which sits on the dining room table. With any luck, it's some actual hunting.
So, I've wondered about this excursion. How did it go? How was the shooting, meals, cocktails, conversation, etc.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Sorry I didnt say anything sir. It was very nice.

The lodge was a bit like staying in the British Museum if the British Museum was a Maryland-style plantation house. Very old, very classical mounts and half mounts fill the walls and open spaces, as well as genuine old flintlock and percussion fowling pieces, rifles, and saddle pistols. The food wasnt very good, but you can either have amazing ambience or good food, in my experience. Have some pictures of me sitting in a rocking chair where 6 presidents have sat.

First evening started with a very challenging clays course, all hand thrown. When I say challenging, I got a pin for shooting 40 out of 50 and was only the sixth to do that this year. And I'm not a good shot so that was just lucky.

Then, of course, everybody but me broke into the bourbon and the usually implausible disgusting stories came out. Not drinking anymore meant not much fun there, but I met a fellow prude so I salvaged some fun with a cigar on the front porch.

Woke up the next morning and the shooting began. Very good walked up pheasants on a wet day. The hands were all local and used their own dogs, bred not for pedigree but for use. Nice to watch. Shot 4 cock birds and called it a morning, back gunning from then on. I wasnt needed.

Then they did a combined turkey and pheasant drive. We were aligned along the base of a high, wooded hill. 12 hunters, 12 stations (rotated by three pegs), and only 12 turkeys and maybe 20 pheasants. Turkeys at 40-50 yards with number 3 shot was a challenge. Only mine died cleanly and that wasnt because I killed it in the air, but because the bird committed seppuku using the base of a large oak tree at terminal velocity. May I be foryibem for chuckling. It was the most odd thing I've ever seen.

Lunch was chili served at the Grover Cleveland Fishing Camp, served under a gigantic buck that had been shot by John Hinckley's grandmother.

I enjoyed it and might go back if I went with a less heavily drinking crowd.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 pm

The lodge was a bit like staying in the British Museum if the British Museum was a Maryland-style plantation house. Very old, very classical mounts and half mounts fill the walls and open spaces, as well as genuine old flintlock and percussion fowling pieces, rifles, and saddle pistols. The food wasnt very good, but you can either have amazing ambience or good food, in my experience. Have some pictures of me sitting in a rocking chair where 6 presidents have sat.

First evening started with a very challenging clays course, all hand thrown. When I say challenging, I got a pin for shooting 40 out of 50 and was only the sixth to do that this year. And I'm not a good shot so that was just lucky.

Then, of course, everybody but me broke into the bourbon and the usually implausible disgusting stories came out. Not drinking anymore meant not much fun there, but I met a fellow prude so I salvaged some fun with a cigar on the front porch.

Woke up the next morning and the shooting began. Very good walked up pheasants on a wet day. The hands were all local and used their own dogs, bred not for pedigree but for use. Nice to watch. Shot 4 cock birds and called it a morning, back gunning from then on. I wasnt needed.

Then they did a combined turkey and pheasant drive. We were aligned along the base of a high, wooded hill. 12 hunters, 12 stations (rotated by three pegs), and only 12 turkeys and maybe 20 pheasants. Turkeys at 40-50 yards with number 3 shot was a challenge. Only mine died cleanly and that wasnt because I killed it in the air, but because the bird committed seppuku using the base of a large oak tree at terminal velocity. May I be foryibem for chuckling. It was the most odd thing I've ever seen.

Lunch was chili served at the Grover Cleveland Fishing Camp, served under a gigantic buck that had been shot by John Hinckley's grandmother.

Very nice! BTW, John Hinckley Jr??

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm
hugodrax wrote:

Yes. Surreal, no?

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:15 am

Sounds like a good outing. Pheasant and then a turkey cigars and that setting. SWEET!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:26 am

I talked with my oldest, he wants to go hunting Thursday! Day off school. It’s really rather difficult to get an appointment with him these days.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:26 am
I talked with my oldest, he wants to go hunting Thursday! Day off school. It’s really rather difficult to get an appointment with him these days.
That's fantastic.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Thunktank wrote:
That's fantastic.
Fantastic for sure. And good on you for working with the boy's schedule instead of trying to force him in to yours. He'll never think he's your peer (who among us thinks we can hold a candle to his father?) but he'll begin to know you respect him and his time spent on other activities away from you. That's healthy. A little weekday sneak-away with dad is never a bad idea.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:13 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:16 pm
Thunktank wrote:
That's fantastic.
Fantastic for sure. And good on you for working with the boy's schedule instead of trying to force him in to yours. He'll never think he's your peer (who among us thinks we can hold a candle to his father?) but he'll begin to know you respect him and his time spent on other activities away from you. That's healthy. A little weekday sneak-away with dad is never a bad idea.
He likes to hunt, but football, lacross, or some other sport takes priority for him and it takes up most of his time. I can’t blame him. When he finally gets a break he wants to sleep in and hang out with friends. I would too. He did tell me that he was bummed that we don’t have our deer tags this year. He liked to go a couple of times. He never witnessed a good bird season due to the long drought. I really want to take him on a good bird hunt or two before he leaves for college. We’ll see. I value every moment with him because I know that he has a life to live. I do love going to the games and watching him and his buddies play ball.

I have more reason to believe that son 2 will be more available for hunting. He doesn’t like playing ball much, but seems to like fishing and shooting so far.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Upland season starts here in IL on Saturday. I took a drive by my usual spots today and, unfortunately, saw very little to be optimistic about. Farming practices are killing off habitat too fast.

I’ll still go out and hope to bag a bird or two this year, but I’m not expecting much. I’d like to bag a woodcock or two for my fly tying, but those are pretty hard to predict around here.
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Yes. Surreal, no?
Heh, yes.

Also btw, I've been on similar type outings, what I used to call "champagne hunts", corporate and otherwise, during my abuse stage and my tea-totaller stage. I can say that I enjoyed my tea-totaller trips much more, where I enjoyed a good cigar with coffee or, well, tea. In my current stage I can fiddle-fart around with a mid-morning bloody mary or evening ale or something stronger, but I'm much more apt to finish the cigar and dump the drink-remnants down the drain. It took a while to get to this point though.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:40 am

Quail season in Texas began last Saturday to mostly warm temperatures and rain. I was on a short road trip with my wife through south Louisiana. Meanwhile, my dog has come into heat, and is patiently waiting, amusing herself in the back yard. I don't know what she was pointing here but she held the point for at least 5 mins.

Texas' south zone duck and goose season begins this Sat morning and I'll be going with my two grandsons. Then probably next week if a cool front comes in, in-heat or not, I'll take the pup to S. Texas. I have a mid-December trip to Kansas planned, near Hutchinson, with some friends. It'll be the pup's first out-of-state hunt, and (presumably) her first hunt in sub-freezing weather. After that it'll probably be a quick remaining season for quail, woodcock and snipe, and I'll only waterfowl hunt when my oldest grandson takes me. All of it good-Lord-willing of course, and if I can keep the bills paid.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:10 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Yes. Surreal, no?
Heh, yes.

Also btw, I've been on similar type outings, what I used to call "champagne hunts", corporate and otherwise, during my abuse stage and my tea-totaller stage. I can say that I enjoyed my tea-totaller trips much more, where I enjoyed a good cigar with coffee or, well, tea. In my current stage I can fiddle-fart around with a mid-morning bloody mary or evening ale or something stronger, but I'm much more apt to finish the cigar and dump the drink-remnants down the drain. It took a while to get to this point though.
Delightfully assumptive post, my friend. I attribute the lack of tact to a lack of caffeine. Come to think of it, I might have taken it the way I did do to a similar dearth on my own part.