Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 am

I have a couple of times met up with Colton and traveled to the local sporting clays/hunting fields East of the metro area. They have pen raised birds, but are know for their "Wild bird" hunting nature. The huns fly well and the pheasants are very "Wild bird" like. When we go, we get 5 birds each and a dog and handler, since neither Colton or I have a bird dog. All in all it is cheaper than a multi day trip to another state, we do see birds and get to hunt over a well trained dog. Almost like real bird hunting. with a beer and a cigar or pipe at the clubhouse after, it is a good time afield.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 am

sweeetandsour wrote:I have a mid-December trip to Kansas planned, near Hutchinson
I hunted near Hutch, farms outside of Pretty Prairie, for many many years.
Love that place!

Hope you have a terrific season.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 am
sweeetandsour wrote:I have a mid-December trip to Kansas planned, near Hutchinson
I hunted near Hutch, farms outside of Pretty Prairie, for many many years.
Love that place!

Hope you have a terrific season.
Hutch, McPherson, and Great Bend form what I call the golden triangle in KS. The pheasant and quail hunting in the Smokey Hills region is forecast to be 'good' this year and chickens will be 'great'. 2018 Upland Bird Forcast
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Interestingly enough, after my pessimistic post last night I saw 6-8 pheasants feeding in a field close to the Ranch this morning. Maybe they still exist after all. :chili:
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:46 pm
Interestingly enough, after my pessimistic post last night I saw 6-8 pheasants feeding in a field close to the Ranch this morning. Maybe they still exist after all. :chili:
For all of our sales, I sure hope so. I've watched my own land go sterile.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:33 pm

I’m pleased to say I saw more birds than expected today. Not a lot of birds by other standards, but more than I saw last year.

I scared up half a dozen early (5 hens and a rooster), but they ran rather than flushed.

Later flushed a young rooster that I took on a nice shot swinging behind me to the right.

Not 10 feet later I flushed a larger bird and shot and missed at the limit of my range. That one surprised me as I assumed any others would have flushed with the previous shot. It took me too long to catch up to him, which was too bad, it was a nice bird.

Kind of a dreary day weather wise, but a good morning.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35 am

^Nice. I'm 57 years old and I still marvel at those feathers. A thousand feathers, each with hundreds of barbules, each with dozens of barbs, formed perfectly to make the overall pattern. And not just one pattern, but a dozen patterns on the same bird. There's no way I can't believe a creator designed that for beauty - well and above what's required simply for camouflage or to attract a mate.

Mrs FredS and I made a quick trip across KS over the last few days. Eastbound was in the dark, but westbound was in daylight. I was disappointed that I only saw one pheasant. A fox flushed it out of a fence row 50' from the highway. I saw the fox making his sneak so I pointed it to Mrs FredS and she looked up just in time to see him jump at the hen and flush her. He made a second jump once she was in the *air but missed. Mrs FredS said it was one of the coolest things she'd ever seen. I though it was just one of a thousand cool things you see if you spend time outdoors, as a participant rather than an observer.

* I heard once that a pheasant's vertical leap is 10' or something ridiculous. I know I've seen the damn things jump straight up out of cane taller than me before taking flight.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Nice Gabriel!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:33 pm
I’m pleased to say I saw more birds than expected today. Not a lot of birds by other standards, but more than I saw last year.

I scared up half a dozen early (5 hens and a rooster), but they ran rather than flushed.

Later flushed a young rooster that I took on a nice shot swinging behind me to the right.

Not 10 feet later I flushed a larger bird and shot and missed at the limit of my range. That one surprised me as I assumed any others would have flushed with the previous shot. It took me too long to catch up to him, which was too bad, it was a nice bird.

Kind of a dreary day weather wise, but a good morning.

Nice. I really wish I had that kind of hunting within short driving distance of me.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 am

This is a pic of our pond taken last Thursday:

This is what it looked like last Saturday, (opening day of duck season), after two days of very gusty south winds:

Here it is yesterday morning, a very foggy morning, after the rain. It's still raining and the temperature is dropping.

Now all we need are ducks. There was something else going on in the blind yesterday, but I'm not sure what it was.

I just tried my best to ignore it, and look at the fog.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:18 am

This is beutiful.

This? Mmm, not so much.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:37 pm

We did a local game lands today--walked up birds in the pouring rain. I got one cock pheasant with a bad attitude: it bit my butt through my game pouch as it's very last act. Best friend and his wife and one of the most gentlemanly men I've ever met made up the party. The gentleman happened to own a little German shorthair who is going to be a good dog when she grows up.

Bonus? When I showed up to pick up my girls from school I freaked out some kids. Yuppie kids dont quite know what to make out of a dude in blaze orange.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:37 pm
We did a local game lands today--walked up birds in the pouring rain. I got one cock pheasant with a bad attitude: it bit my butt through my game pouch as it's very last act. Best friend and his wife and one of the most gentlemanly men I've ever met made up the party. The gentleman happened to own a little German shorthair who is going to be a good dog when she grows up.

Bonus? When I showed up to pick up my girls from school I freaked out some kids. Yuppie kids dont quite know what to make out of a dude in blaze orange.
Sounds great. You'd fit right in, here in east Texas.

I'm leaving tmrw mrng, going to south Texas with Lizzy for wild bobwhite quail. But I plan to stop on the return trip at a farm that sells pen raised quail and buy a dozen or so, for the local fields.

Hey Fred, they tell me I was a beautiful baby. I've come a long way since then.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm
But I plan to stop on the return trip at a farm that sells pen raised quail and buy a dozen or so, for the local fields.
How do quail covey up? Would you buy a 'family' or can you dump a dozen strangers in a patch of woods and expect them to hang together?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:02 pm
But I plan to stop on the return trip at a farm that sells pen raised quail and buy a dozen or so, for the local fields.
How do quail covey up? Would you buy a 'family' or can you dump a dozen strangers in a patch of woods and expect them to hang together?
There's no strangers among quail, they covey up in winter for survival. But I won't release pen raised birds for coveying up, I'll put them in a call back pen, what's called a Johnny house, in a field, and use them individually for dog training purposes. My wife don't like it but that's what I do.
Btw, it turned cold here and I'm leaving in a couple hrs for Karnes County with Lizzy. Lots of ducks must have moved in with the front, I'm hearing lots of shooting out in the marshes this morning.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:58 am

Loving all of the recent posts.
Every photo brings a smile to my face.
Thanks guys.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Took the youngest out for a couple hours this afternoon. Beautiful day, saw a few birds, but came home empty handed. Flushed one hen, one rooster that I should have had but missed, and one rooster that snuck up on us.

Seriously, we’d been hanging out taking a break for some time, I was texting Mrs Gabriel some pics and this rooster suddenly takes flight behind me and glides smoothly from right to left without a care in the world. Never assume anything about pheasants.

The rooster I missed did fly right over Joshie (thereby eliminating any chance for a follow up shot), so that was fun for him. He shot a lot of copper BB’s at all sorts of things, but when that huge rooster flew over in a flash of color and noise he forgot all about his gun for the moment. :D

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Know what I like better than kids hunting with their dads?
Nothin’.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Wish I had a few fields to hunt in that looked that good, Gabriel. And I love to see kids out hunting with their dads, and with their BB guns.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 pm

My trip to S. Texas wasn't as productive as Gabriel & Sons' hunt, but I did score big at a one of the German bakeries there, with a poppy seed roll. Very rich, and as close as I've ever come to a licorice pastry. They must have been very heavy handed with the oil of anise in the filling.

I may have posted a pic of this billboard before. I always think it's missing a comma or hyphen; or perhaps just needs a first name added.

According to her tracking collar Lizzy ran just over 11 miles in just more than 2 hours in a light rain and stiff north wind, and found only one covey of quail. It was a small covey, 6 or 7 birds, and I never got a shot. She worked hard trying to locate a single or two, but the cover there is still green and very thick, and full of grass spurs.

Her only other point was up in this tree, and I never did see what it was that had her attention. Nothing flushed from the tree that I noticed. I finally got her to move on and continue hunting, but not before taking a pic of her and the tree, if simply for the pretty flowers.

Despite forecasts to the contrary, it rained Saturday night, all day and night Sunday, and was still raining this morning, so I packed, loaded Lizzy up, and headed home. It'll be better next time I go there.