Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Bird Hunting 2018-2019

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:24 am

I too have enjoyed these recent posts...and dad and kid be it son, daughter or grand kid...just TOO COOL
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:44 pm

The photo of Gabe with the station wagon got me to thinking...When I was 14-16 years old, my folks owned one of these.
A 1973 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon. I spent one summer using a caustic paint remover taking off the faded wood grain plastic on the sides before they had a new paint job...worked out that they had to sand blast it anyway...

Anyway I have always thought that car with limo tint on the long windows and rear window and a little suspension lift would have made a very nice bird hunting/fishing car. It was big and comfortable, tons of power and room with storage compartments and loads of options for configuration, middle seat up or down, rear seats up or down or out...roof rack...only downside was the gas mileage...12 on a good day
Last edited by Bloodhound on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:44 pm
The photo of Gabe with the station wagon got me to thinking...When I was 14-16 years old, my folks owned one of these.
A 1973 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon. I spent one summer using a caustic paint remover taking off the faded wood grain plastic on the sides...

Anyway I have always thought that car with limo tint on the long windows and rear window and a little suspension lift would have made a very nice bird hunting/fishing car. It was big and comfortable, tons of power and room with storage compartments and loads of options for configuration, middle seat up or down, rear seats up or down or out...roof rack...only downside was the gas mileage...12 on a good day
You're not far off, Bloodhound. What we call station wagons are called shooting brakes or estate cars in England and on the Continent. Fitted with fixed gun cases, maybe dog crates, and often a compartment for drinks and glasses, they're used for the purpose, too.

Of course, growing up it wasnt that unusual to see a buck tied to the hood of one of those. But we've always kept it classy here in western Pennsylvania.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm

I have a VW “sportwagen” right now. It sucks for hunting. I have very limited access with it. Last time I took it out on an easy dirt two track road, I bottomed out hard. High clearance is king. That’s what SUVs are supposed to be; high clearance wagons with 4x4.

Good news is that my Jeep is finally in the paint and body shop. I might get it before bird season ends. Maybe.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Last week didn’t work out for getting out. This past weekend I stayed out of the woods with the high fire danger. This up coming weekend will cool off and maybe even rain. Sounds like the potential is there. I will go to the mountains with kid and dogs and try finding Mountain Quail Lord willing. They are the only upland game around here that can handle a bit of hunting pressure during these drought stricken days because their habit protects them from the extremes of drought better than other upland game and because few hunters are willing to hike where they live. It will be a challenge, but just getting out with the kid and dogs will be worth the effort.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Ten years ago, I was driving across the state and back every weekend, so I bought one of these.
It was great on gas, but it was also my bird hunting rig for 2 years...not great, but I still managed to get to Blue Grouse country and get some birds. :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm
Ten years ago, I was driving across the state and back every weekend, so I bought one of these.
It was great on gas, but it was also my bird hunting rig for 2 years...not great, but I still managed to get to Blue Grouse country and get some birds. :)
That's because you're a beast, sir!

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm
I don't know about Colorado, but in California, if you can get there by car, so can everyone else. There are a lot of Everyone Elses here. They over hunt every covey they come across too. I will have to hike far, miles even, just to get to good bird cover this year. I want my Jeep finished.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am

Here the early muzzleloader and bow seasons are open when I am chasing after grouse. I had to park the Honda both years and then hike back into the covers to find birds...so big ol me, hiking in a mile or two at 10,000 feet altitude. But I forget about tired legs and thin air when that first bird flys...its like a small helicopter taking off :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 am
Here the early muzzleloader and bow seasons are open when I am chasing after grouse. I had to park the Honda both years and then hike back into the covers to find birds...so big ol me, hiking in a mile or two at 10,000 feet altitude. But I forget about tired legs and thin air when that first bird flys...its like a small helicopter taking off :)
I'd love to make a hunt there next year.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 am
Bloodhound wrote:
We could chase blues and pop that tin of Frog's Cellar I got last Spring.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 am
Bloodhound wrote:
We could chase blues and pop that tin of Frog's Cellar I got last Spring.
Lets plan for it. Make it a combination fishing/hunting/pipe smoking meet-up.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am
Nice. I really wish I had that kind of hunting within short driving distance of me.
You've mentioned this on a couple posts. Funny thing, how we perceive others and ourselves. I'm usually envious of your waterfowl and fishing opportunities, and those of others here. I'm also frequently mourning the loss of habitat here in central IL. I don't post pics of the endless gray soybean fields that come right up to the gray blacktop under a gray winter sky, but that's what takes up a lot of the landscape. ;)

I take pics of the one small field of grass that still remains and that I haven't been kicked out of (yet). Don't tell anyone, but while I have have permission to hunt along the creek around my family's old farm, and the tree line at the edge of the property in the pics with my son; I don't have express permission to be hunting that tall grass field. It runs right up to the areas I do have permission to be on, so I'm claiming ignorance for now. It is unheard of around here for that much grass to go un-mowed and un-bailed, so I assume it's under CRP contract for now. Which is great, but it also means it will probably revert to plowed farmland at some point.

You're right though, I should be more thankful for what I do have, than what I have lost. I've lost a few areas to every expanding farming in recent years, but there are still a few spots left. That being said, I rarely get more than a single bird or two in a year.
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am
Nice. I really wish I had that kind of hunting within short driving distance of me.
You've mentioned this on a couple posts. Funny thing, how we perceive others and ourselves. I'm usually envious of your waterfowl and fishing opportunities, and those of others here. I'm also frequently mourning the loss of habitat here in central IL. I don't post pics of the endless gray soybean fields that come right up to the gray blacktop under a gray winter sky, but that's what takes up a lot of the landscape. ;)

I take pics of the one small field of grass that still remains and that I haven't been kicked out of (yet). Don't tell anyone, but while I have have permission to hunt along the creek around my family's old farm, and the tree line at the edge of the property in the pics with my son; I don't have express permission to be hunting that tall grass field. It runs right up to the areas I do have permission to be on, so I'm claiming ignorance for now. It is unheard of around here for that much grass to go un-mowed and un-bailed, so I assume it's under CRP contract for now. Which is great, but it also means it will probably revert to plowed farmland at some point.

You're right though, I should be more thankful for what I do have, than what I have lost. I've lost a few areas to every expanding farming in recent years, but there are still a few spots left. That being said, I rarely get more than a single bird or two in a year.
Well, look on the bright side—that’s at least one or two wild pheasants more than I shoot in a year. :P

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Just finished loading a box of 16 gauge bismuth loads. Tomorrow morning, Son1 and I are off to hunt the elusive Mountain Quail at 7000 ft elevation in the San Bernardino Mountains.

Now I need to find the dog first aid kit. . .

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Went to visit a good friend of mine yesterday. While relaxing on his boat in the perfect weather we agreed to take a week off in January and hunt Mule Deer in Arizona during the archery season. Another friend of ours will also go with us. So next week, I'm going to start brushing up on my archery skills.

We will hunt a very remote spot in the desert mountains. We will be camping off a jeep trail and normally, no one else goes out there, so we will likely have the whole area to ourselves. Some very nice bucks love out there as do bighorn sheep. It should be a good time.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:02 am

^I hate you right now.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am

Would someone please take me bird hunting?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:36 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am
Sure. We're going to go trap shooting first, though. Personal thing.

See you next weekend. Do you need a list of local hostelries?

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am
Sorry no can do...today is the last day of Grouse season here.
Scott ( aka - Thor )