"Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7248
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

"Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Goose55 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:05 am

"Wretched's" Todd Friel doesn't celebrate Halloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd98Ur-p8ms&feature=youtu.be
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Jester » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 am

Todd Friel is the real life Reverend Lovejoy.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14657
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Cleon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:30 am

No Halloween here. I can't stand that "holiday". I abhor vandalism.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 am
Location: North MS

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Unkinjoe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:02 am

big boxer outside, and no exterior lights. Problem solved.

User avatar
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Adam Z » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am

Often when I listen to Friel I find that I agree with much of what he has to say, but I'm completely turned off by what I perceive to be the theatrics of his presentation - it comes off like an act.

Then there was that time he jumped the shark and said that christians shouldn't watch/read LOTR or Narnia because of the portrayals of the use of sorcery/magic. 8O

Christians who don't let their kids go trick or treating in their neighborhoods because of the centuries-old pagan roots of Halloween, but then in December go all-out with decorating a christmas tree, hanging lights, etc. are hypocrites. Either they are both pagan holidays that should not be observed, or they both have roots in paganism, but over many centuries the cultural meaning and celebration of the holidays have become something totally different from what they were at their time of origination.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

Gee thanks goose. We've not beat the dead horse of Halloween for a couple years.

Also, Adam, you tiptoed right up to the edge, but you didn't write that Christmas is - or is based on - a pagan holiday. Thanks for that. 'Cause of course it's not.

Maybe next we should discuss whether or not men should wear neckties and jackets to Sunday worship service. Or the propriety of maintaining ornate sanctuaries while the homeless family in the alley goes hungry. Or tattoos! Or chipped credit cards.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21931
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am

I guess I'm a pagan. I sit in the driveway every Halloween and hand out candy to little kids dressed as superheros and princesses, none of whom understand any of this bullcrap we fuss about almost every year.

The last couple of years I gave out full-size candy. That will continue. It gives me some good street cred among the older kids.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:14 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am
I guess I'm a pagan.
Worse.

You're a Texan.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Adam Z » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

Also, Adam, you tiptoed right up to the edge, but you didn't write that Christmas is - or is based on - a pagan holiday. Thanks for that. 'Cause of course it's not.

Maybe next we should discuss whether or not men should wear neckties and jackets to Sunday worship service. Or the propriety of maintaining ornate sanctuaries while the homeless family in the alley goes hungry. Or tattoos! Or chipped credit cards.
FWIW, my kids go trick or treating, and I have a christmas tree in my living room in December. I don't think a christmas tree has any business in the sanctuary at church - esp on or near the stage.

There is liberty in what one chooses to wear to worship, tattoos, etc.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35345
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am

When I was a pastor we had a "Hanging of the Greens" service around Christmas. If you are truly that farty that you can't enjoy Christmas and Halloween you are just hurting yourself.

Well, and your witness.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21160
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 am

Adam Z wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

Also, Adam, you tiptoed right up to the edge, but you didn't write that Christmas is - or is based on - a pagan holiday. Thanks for that. 'Cause of course it's not.

Maybe next we should discuss whether or not men should wear neckties and jackets to Sunday worship service. Or the propriety of maintaining ornate sanctuaries while the homeless family in the alley goes hungry. Or tattoos! Or chipped credit cards.
FWIW, my kids go trick or treating, and I have a christmas tree in my living room in December. I don't think a christmas tree has any business in the sanctuary at church - esp on or near the stage.

There is liberty in what one chooses to wear to worship, tattoos, etc.
Ah. For you and I, there is liberty because we don't consider church attire from 1960 vs church attire of 2020 to be essential to the faith. But some do.

I also don't think the building is essential. I don't have a problem with an ornate sanctuary as a special place set apart for the regular corporate worship of God but I don't have a problem worshiping in a shed either. As for the propriety of maintaining an elaborate old sanctuary instead of feeding the homeless I think we can do both.

But tattoos are pagan. No doubt about that.

Don't even get me started on drums in the worship band, coffee in the lobby, or "Hanging of the Greens". It's not like we're supposed to enjoy worship or anything. It's all about Him you know. And He hates beauty and fun.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35345
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 am
Adam Z wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

Also, Adam, you tiptoed right up to the edge, but you didn't write that Christmas is - or is based on - a pagan holiday. Thanks for that. 'Cause of course it's not.

Maybe next we should discuss whether or not men should wear neckties and jackets to Sunday worship service. Or the propriety of maintaining ornate sanctuaries while the homeless family in the alley goes hungry. Or tattoos! Or chipped credit cards.
FWIW, my kids go trick or treating, and I have a christmas tree in my living room in December. I don't think a christmas tree has any business in the sanctuary at church - esp on or near the stage.

There is liberty in what one chooses to wear to worship, tattoos, etc.
Ah. For you and I, there is liberty because we don't consider church attire from 1960 vs church attire of 2020 to be essential to the faith. But some do.

I also don't think the building is essential. I don't have a problem with an ornate sanctuary as a special place set apart for the regular corporate worship of God but I don't have a problem worshiping in a shed either. As for the propriety of maintaining an elaborate old sanctuary instead of feeding the homeless I think we can do both.

But tattoos are pagan. No doubt about that.

Don't even get me started on drums in the worship band, coffee in the lobby, or "Hanging of the Greens". It's not like we're supposed to enjoy worship or anything. It's all about Him you know. And He hates beauty and fun.
pu·ri·tan·ism
ˈpyo͝oritnism
noun
the deeply-seated fear that somewhere, someone is having fun.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Adam Z » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am
pu·ri·tan·ism
ˈpyo͝oritnism
noun
the deeply-seated fear that somewhere, someone is having fun.
Nah... Where'd you find that - the atheism subreddit? :lol:

Such a characterization of puritanism is something I'd sooner expect to see bandied about by folks who are entirely hostile to christianity.

There's a lot of wisdom to be found in the writings of the puritans. They weren't right about everything, but there's a lot to be gained from them still. I'm currently reading an excellent exposition of Eph 5:22-6:4 by William Gouge.

EDIT: The baptists are the ones who preach about the evils of fun stuff like alcohol and tobacco. I'm a presbyterian. 8)
Last edited by Adam Z on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3629
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Fainn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 am

I have no idea what Wretched or Todd Friel is, but I don't celebrate halloween either. At first because it was Wiccan, later because grownups playing dress-up is kinda gheytm
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17383
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am

All this time, I assumed Wretched was a bad TV series like Supernatural. I didn't realize it was a podcast thing. Although the responses in this thread kind of sound like they're talking about a bad TV series, so...

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35345
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am

Adam Z wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 am
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am
pu·ri·tan·ism
ˈpyo͝oritnism
noun
the deeply-seated fear that somewhere, someone is having fun.
Nah... Where'd you find that - the atheism subreddit? :lol:

Such a characterization of puritanism is something I'd sooner expect to see bandied about by folks who are entirely hostile to christianity.

There's a lot of wisdom to be found in the writings of the puritans. They weren't right about everything, but there's a lot to be gained from them still. I'm currently reading an excellent exposition of Eph 5:22-6:4 by William Gouge.

EDIT: The baptists are the ones who preach about the evils of fun stuff like alcohol and tobacco. I'm a presbyterian. 8)
LOL!!

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14657
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Cleon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 am

Adam Z wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

Also, Adam, you tiptoed right up to the edge, but you didn't write that Christmas is - or is based on - a pagan holiday. Thanks for that. 'Cause of course it's not.

Maybe next we should discuss whether or not men should wear neckties and jackets to Sunday worship service. Or the propriety of maintaining ornate sanctuaries while the homeless family in the alley goes hungry. Or tattoos! Or chipped credit cards.
FWIW, my kids go trick or treating, and I have a christmas tree in my living room in December. I don't think a christmas tree has any business in the sanctuary at church - esp on or near the stage.

There is liberty in what one chooses to wear to worship, tattoos, etc.
Uh, if there's a stage in your church, yer doing it...d'oh, never mind. It's called a chancel. Hurumph!!!
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14657
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Cleon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am
When I was a pastor we had a "Hanging of the Greens" service around Christmas. If you are truly that farty that you can't enjoy Christmas and Halloween you are just hurting yourself.

Well, and your witness.
I k.o.'d my witness years ago with all the drinkin' and smokin'.

The ladies have exclusive rights to hanging of the greens at our church because, you know, men have no idea how to hang things. :?:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Adam Z
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by Adam Z » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 am

Uh, if there's a stage in your church, yer doing it...d'oh, never mind. It's called a chancel. Hurumph!!!
Stage... Platform... Chancel... whatever. The elevated area at the front of the church. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35345
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am
When I was a pastor we had a "Hanging of the Greens" service around Christmas. If you are truly that farty that you can't enjoy Christmas and Halloween you are just hurting yourself.

Well, and your witness.
I k.o.'d my witness years ago with all the drinkin' and smokin'.

The ladies have exclusive rights to hanging of the greens at our church because, you know, men have no idea how to hang things. :?:
Well, I seem to remember that the ladies committee did all the decorating while the guys did all the carrying.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Post Reply