"Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: "Wretched's" Todd Friel Doesn't Celebrate Halloween

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm

You Protestant guys crack me up.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am
When I was a pastor we had a "Hanging of the Greens" service around Christmas. If you are truly that farty that you can't enjoy Christmas and Halloween you are just hurting yourself.

Well, and your witness.
I k.o.'d my witness years ago with all the drinkin' and smokin'.

The ladies have exclusive rights to hanging of the greens at our church because, you know, men have no idea how to hang things. :?:
We're perfectly adept at climbing the ladder and hanging things, we just need the ladies to tell us when and where. If we're really men of faith, we won't even complain when they ask us to move the wreath three times before it ends up back in the same place it hung last year.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Halloween is a child's favorite holiday. Trick or Treat is a harmless activity. And so is Mischief Night. Or, at least it was when I was a kid. I don't know why this Todd Friel of Wretched makes such a big deal of it. He's a grandstanding Christian hardliner.
Last edited by Goose55 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:37 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am
I guess I'm a pagan. I sit in the driveway every Halloween and hand out candy to little kids dressed as superheros and princesses, none of whom understand any of this bullcrap we fuss about almost every year.

The last couple of years I gave out full-size candy. That will continue. It gives me some good street cred among the older kids.
I have not trick or treated in 40 years as it is for little kids, that said if I was in Colorado I know where I would be heading.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:37 pm
JimVH wrote:
I guess I'm a pagan. I sit in the driveway every Halloween and hand out candy to little kids dressed as superheros and princesses, none of whom understand any of this bullcrap we fuss about almost every year.

The last couple of years I gave out full-size candy. That will continue. It gives me some good street cred among the older kids.
I have not trick or treated in 40 years as it is for little kids, that said if I was in Colorado I know where I would be heading.
To Texas?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
JimVH wrote:

To Texas?
It is good to have you back.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:22 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
JimVH wrote:

To Texas?
It is good to have you back.
The best part about hugodrax being gone was hugodrax being gone.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 am

Carving pumpkins within the week. Hopefully, nobody comes along and smashes them.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 am

Halloween is the best.

Round here, it makes me think of Rusty with his enormous seizure inducing pumpkin gif signatures. He'd be along to remind us all about the pagan roots of Halloween or how some coven of fat short haired witches are upset that Christians are enjoying their holiday. And then I'd tangle with him about how Christianity has Hallowed Halloween and that Christ is Lord of all and Del would pipe in that Halloween is a Christian holiday already, never in need of the said hallowing. Ah, me. I miss Rusty.

But f'real Christians can celebrate Halloween, all the pagany echoes of it even, without having a pragmatic use for it. Most Christians/Churches in my circles either condemn Halloween outright or use Halloween for their own purposes. The most blatant ones use it as a recruiting event for more butts in the seats, like they do for Easter or Christmas. Other churches that hold some sort of event are typically trying to walk a line because I feel like they haven't fully fleshed out the idea that it's okay for their flock to participate in Halloween. They feel the need to give them a sanitized version. Typically today in the form of Trunk or Treat or a Harvest Festival event.

I recall being a part of a church that had a "Fall Festival" which was basically an inside version of Trunk or Treat, just walk around to different stations and get candy. They blast mailed the whole community with fliers about it and I recall it saying something like "Please no scary, gory, or sexual costumes". I'm sure they used a different word than sexual because they'd never have used such an image conjuring word in a flyer, but that's what they intended. But what they really wanted was just a Safe Space (in the snowflakey college campus kind of way) for their congregation. By straddling the line in this way, they can appear to be having an outreach to the community, but only the parts of the community that already abide by their scruples, and they can look like they aren't sticks in the mud by looking like they're cool with Halloween...I mean Fall Fest...Halloween wasn't mentioned by name.

Trunk or Treat is better, but just a little better. At least the best ones I've seen treat it like a kind of party, inviting everyone without any pretense. But they can still fall into the trap of becoming a Christian Safe Space as a few of my friends only 'trick or treat' strictly at these events.

I'm a little pretty much jaded by legalism...family friendly events like this are mostly harmless...but I do think some of the thinking behind them is somewhat theologically skewed...but I have seen some good changes. (And that's just trick or treating...we haven't even touched upon whether or not Christians should watch/decorate/dress up with scary/horror/gory/etc things!)

But we take full advantage of the Trunk or Treat trend. I have five kids and if we hit just three of the churches in our town we'd have candy for a year. But we also drag them to participating stores in the week leading up, culminating in the Main Event which is circling my folks' subdivision along with Jester's kids.

Get. That. Candy.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm

New guys should realize tuttle also likes the ghey ren faire, pumpkin beer, and dungeons & dragons or whatever the pagan nerds are playing these days.

Let that knowledge inform your thoughts on his thoughts.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm
New guys should realize tuttle also likes the ghey ren faire, pumpkin beer, and dungeons & dragons or whatever the pagan nerds are playing these days.

Let that knowledge inform your thoughts on his thoughts.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis