Christian Bale's New Movie, "VICE"

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Christian Bale's New Movie, "VICE"

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Someone posted this trailer to Christian Bale's new film, "Vice" in another thread but I thought it is worth creating a separate thread about it. It really looks like this film is going to be great. Bale was cast as former vice president Dick Cheney and he has done a stellar job portraying him. To see just how very well Bale has Cheney down, at the very end of the trailer, check out how he masterfully lowers that left eyebrow, with his self-satisfied smirk, Amazing. Enjoy!......

In theaters this Christmas...

https://youtu.be/eTk2N03-m8U
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Re: Christian Bale's New Movie, "VICE"

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:21 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:03 pm
Someone posted this trailer to Christian Bale's new film, "Vice" in another thread but I thought it is worth creating a separate thread about it. It really looks like this film is going to be great. Bale was cast as former vice president Dick Cheney and he has done a stellar job portraying him. To see just how very well Bale has Cheney down, at the very end of the trailer, check out how he masterfully lowers that left eyebrow, with his self-satisfied smirk, Amazing. Enjoy!......

In theaters this Christmas...

I feel like I time-warped back to 2005, thanks for the nostalgia...

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:37 pm

I think this film may help us see who really was calling the shots in the Bush/ Cheney administration.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:37 pm
I think this film may help us see who really was calling the shots in the Bush/ Cheney administration.
I'm not familiar with the director - I was curious though, is it supposed to be historically accurate, or more of a satire or criticism film? The tone I got from the trailer wasn't that it was aiming to be overtly propaganda-focused (as possibly in a film like Fairenheit 9/11), though the actors seemed to be portraying a lot of the cynical stereotypes of "Bush/Cheney" conspiracies which were popular during the Iraq War era, such as Cheney being a Machiavellian manipulator, or Bush having mannerisms that portrayed him as "backwoods" and inept.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 am

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:29 pm
Goose55 wrote:
I'm not familiar with the director - I was curious though, is it supposed to be historically accurate, or more of a satire or criticism film? The tone I got from the trailer wasn't that it was aiming to be overtly propaganda-focused (as possibly in a film like Fairenheit 9/11), though the actors seemed to be portraying a lot of the cynical stereotypes of "Bush/Cheney" conspiracies which were popular during the Iraq War era, such as Cheney being a Machiavellian manipulator, or Bush having mannerisms that portrayed him as "backwoods" and inept.
From what I read, the director of this film did not vote for Bush in either election. I think this movie may best be enjoyed as a comedy.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 am
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
From what I read, the director of this film did not vote for Bush in either election. I think this movie may best be enjoyed as a comedy.
It didn't seem like it was taking itself too seriously, and did have something of a comedy vibe.

I'm kind of curious what prompted it, given that Bush and Cheney aren't as relevant today as they were 10-15 years ago.
Last edited by Nature of a Man on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:03 pm

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
It didn't seem like it was taking itself too seriously, and did have something of a comedy vibe.

I'm kind of curious what prompted it, given that Bush and Cheney aren't as relevant today as they were 10-15 years ago.
There have been a few films about them that did not do well. With a comical twist, this one should do well. A comedy of errors.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

The Hollywood folks couldn't resist a big-budget revision of history, with George W. Bush as a feckless idiot and Dick Cheney as an evil genius pulling all the strings.

Movies are powerful. They hope that this movie will be how Bush is remembered.... like most people believe the Middle Ages were like Monty Python.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:28 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:12 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

The Hollywood folks couldn't resist a big-budget revision of history, with George W. Bush as a feckless idiot and Dick Cheney as an evil genius pulling all the strings.

Movies are powerful. They hope that this movie will be how Bush is remembered.... like most people believe the Middle Ages were like Monty Python.
There was so much hubub over Bush and Cheney during the Iraq War era that I tend to filter out most of what I heard one way or another, sometime I wouldn't mind reading some history about the Iraq War and getting a better perspective on it than what's normally fed to people via Hollywood and popular media.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:28 pm
Del wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

There was so much hubub over Bush and Cheney during the Iraq War era that I tend to filter out most of what I heard one way or another, sometime I wouldn't mind reading some history about the Iraq War and getting a better perspective on it than what's normally fed to people via Hollywood and popular media.
Cheney & his former connection with Halliburton Corp was a big question mark hanging over his head. I wonder what this film will do with that.

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:28 pm
Del wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Nature of a Man wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Cheney & his former connection with Halliburton Corp was a big question mark hanging over his head. I wonder what this film will do with that.
I agree that it could have implied some "conflict of interest", but I have little knowledge to go on regarding the allegations other than rumors and hearsay.

I myself also wouldn't trust a 2 hour Hollywood film, even one "based" on a true story to be the best way of getting a better understanding of things - since movies are primarily meant to be entertainment and make a profit rather than be educational.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:46 pm
I myself also wouldn't trust a 2 hour Hollywood film, even one "based" on a true story to be the best way of getting a better understanding of things - since movies are primarily meant to be entertainment and make a profit rather than be educational.
Hollywood does often push the envelope on facts. And this one does definitely look like it has some entertainment value...

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm

I voted for W twice, and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I know they're going to totally make fun of him at every turn, but I'm going in with thick skin and expecting to laugh. Also, I can't recall ever seeing Christian Bale in a comedic role, so this should be interesting - even if he is playing the straight man.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:53 am

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:20 pm
I voted for W twice, and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I know they're going to totally make fun of him at every turn, but I'm going in with thick skin and expecting to laugh. Also, I can't recall ever seeing Christian Bale in a comedic role, so this should be interesting - even if he is playing the straight man.
I still have 4 trips up to Phoenix before Christmas but the film is released on Christmas Day, so I'll have to wait to see it. We have no theater here where I live.

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:21 am

It'll be sometime next year when I can stream it for a digital rental before I watch it. It's very rare that I go to the theater for any films. I think I might've only been to the cinema for a single film all year - I took the family to see Christopher Robin.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Never saw that film. Never want to.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Jocose wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm
Words right out of my mouth.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 am

Anyone see this movie yet?

Last edited by Goose55 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:29 pm
Jocose wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm
Words right out of my mouth.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.