Baby, It's Cold Outside

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Then there's this:
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/o ... o-movement

This happens to be a holiday song which I emphatically dislike, however the station banned it after one listener complained. One.
So one listener can get a tune banned from the station?
Give the PC police mentality I shudder to think where this will lead us.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Re: Baby, It's Cold Outside

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:15 am

Seems appropriate to add this here:
wosbald wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:32 pm
+JMJ+
gaining_age wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:26 pm
Social media at work again??

Ohio radio station pulls Christmas song from some percentage (not shared): Baby it's cold outside.

Online Facebook poll (by the Cleveland radio station) shows 92% or 8k listeners are just fine with the song (majority loses?).
==================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Should this Christmas song have been removed from a Cleveland radio station?
File photo of winter evergreen tree. Photo courtesy of Unsplash.

CLEVELAND — It's a Christmas song you hear on repeat during the holidays, but on one local radio station, that song will disappear from the airwaves.

Star 102 announced Tuesday that the station will no longer play "Baby It's Cold Outside" because it's no longer appropriate, according to post on the radio's site.

[…]

The abrupt halt of the song comes amid the growing support of the #MeToo movement, which has given women a platform and a supportive environment to voice their experiences of sexual assault.

The song was penned in the 1940s by Frank Loesser to be performed as a duet with his wife at Los Angeles parties, according to a Washington Post article.

The song became popular, evening winning an Academy Award when it was featured in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. The scene when the song plays chronicle's a couple's verbal argument as Ricardo Montalban tries to get Esther Williams to stay as she attempts to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFJ7ie_yGU

When the song first came out, it was seen as empowering women. Today, the song is a reminder of what consent means in the era of the #MeToo movement.

[…]
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 am

Really though, if you're going to ban Baby It's Cold Outside for violating the #MeToo mob's feelings, then shouldn't you ban a rather large majority of rap songs?

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 am
Really though, if you're going to ban Baby It's Cold Outside for violating the #MeToo mob's feelings, then shouldn't you ban a rather large majority of rap songs?
This and a lot more
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am

I blame wosbald.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Huh. Baby it’s Cold Outside has always been my favorite song about date rape.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm
Huh. Baby it’s Cold Outside has always been my favorite song about date rape.
:rotfl:
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:56 pm

I actually like the song quite a bit. My only beef with it is that it is incorrectly identified as being a Christmas song, when it has nothing to do with Christmas. It's not about rape at all. And yes, if this song is being pulled off the air for the stated reasons, then a lot of the "R&B" & hip-hop stations ought to just shut down.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 pm

I told my daughter to walk away from any <expletive deleted> that had to beg and booze you for attention. If he gets between you and the door put a knee in his choons and leave him lay.

Otherwise I kind of dig the song, though I don't get it being a Christmas song, either.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:53 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 pm
I told my daughter to walk away from any <expletive deleted> that had to beg and booze you for attention. If he gets between you and the door put a knee in his choons and leave him lay.

Otherwise I kind of dig the song, though I don't get it being a Christmas song, either.
+1
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:53 pm
JimVH wrote:

+1
So bible colleges are that different, eh?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

+1
???

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

+1
???
Booze and begging were part of courtship 20 years ago and pretty much ran both ways...I.e., the girl was just as likely to try to get you a little lit up if she liked you. But I didn’t go to a bible college. Maybe kids are different there?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

+1
???
Booze and begging were part of courtship 20 years ago and pretty much ran both ways...I.e., the girl was just as likely to try to get you a little lit up if she liked you. But I didn’t go to a bible college. Maybe kids are different there?
I imagine that intoxicants have been used for some time for those purposes in church settings and not. That's why I told my daughter to walk away from any <zederated> that had to use booze to get her attention. I also told her that she needs to do what she needs to do to get away and that we would deal with the consequences later.

AnungUnRama
Congregation
Congregation

Post by AnungUnRama » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm

The only acceptable version of this song is with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:22 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:

+1
???
I imagine that intoxicants have been used for some time for those purposes in church settings and not. That's why I told my daughter to walk away from any <zederated> that had to use booze to get her attention. I also told her that she needs to do what she needs to do to get away and that we would deal with the consequences later.
Sound advice. If you have to imagine, though, bible colleges are a different place and that is all to their credit.

Sorry for taking it afield in a moment of poor focus. Carry on, gents.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:52 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm
The only acceptable version of this song is with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
What? No Lou Rawls and Diana Reeves?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Written by Frank Loesser in 1944, so Baby It's Cold Outside is exemplary of whimpering and whining of The Greatest Generation,
This certainly needs to be taken into consideration.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:12 am

Battle lines being drawn. Radio stations removing the song, keeping the song, or polling to see if the song should remain on air.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-its-c ... -movement/

We should use the song as the litmus test for whether or not you should be able to post anything online. If you think it should be removed because it's 'rapey' then you ought to have your social media license revoked. If you think it's a-ok because you have a brain and understand the context and wit therein, then type on!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am

tuttle wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:12 am
Battle lines being drawn. Radio stations removing the song, keeping the song, or polling to see if the song should remain on air.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-its-c ... -movement/

We should use the song as the litmus test for whether or not you should be able to post anything online. If you think it should be removed because it's 'rapey' then you ought to have your social media license revoked. If you think it's a-ok because you have a brain and understand the context and wit therein, then type on!
Reindeer piss for breakfast again, eh?