Hearth & Home

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Hearth & Home

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 pm

I’m in need of some sage wisdom. Two things.

First, my in laws bought us a dining room table and chairs as a gift (expensive) and we don’t want them... what do we do?!? I feel like a cruel trick has been played on me and I’m caught in a no win scenario.

Second, I’m staring down the barrel of possibly buying a house and feeling very indecisive, like I can’t decide what I want or what makes most sense, I’m a little afraid of committing to owning a home and not being able to change my mind...

Am I crazy, how do I deal with this?!? GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Hearth & Home

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 pm

First, my in laws bought us a dining room table and chairs as a gift (expensive) and we don’t want them... what do we do?!? I feel like a cruel trick has been played on me and I’m caught in a no win scenario.

Second, I’m staring down the barrel of possibly buying a house and feeling very indecisive, like I can’t decide what I want or what makes most sense, I’m a little afraid of committing to owning a home and not being able to change my mind...

You arent crazy. I will deal with your problems in order.

1.) You're boned. Enjoy your new dining room furniture.

2.) If you dont think you're ready, well, then you arent ready and that's a-ok. I looked at a metric sh!t-tonne of houses before we got this one. When the right house is there, you'll know. Start looking, though, Bub.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Unkinjoe » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Sorry for your predicament, I can't offer much on the table situation, but on the house maybe.
1) how long would you be planning on living in the house?
2) have you chosen a location or do you already have land.
3) depending on your age Stairways are not a good idea sometimes.
4) neighbors?
I live in a nicer subdivision and have 3 lots that join each other. The neighbors are good people and all work or are retired. All the lots are at least 1 acre and everyone has plenty of room for outside activities. We have land in the country with a lake on it which we would love to build a cabin on, but at our age we are thinking it would be better to stay here closer to town and the hospital and neighbors.
If you're younger and would like to build and live there a few years and then sell and take the profit then that's an idea also.
This probably won't help much but may give you more things to think about, like you already needed that.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
UJ

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 pm

What does your bride want? You should both be on the same page.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Hovannes wrote:What does your bride want? You should both be on the same page.
Indeed, we are both kind of on the fence about buying, we would just be buying an affordable already build 3 bedroom house on a small lot, because that is probably the best we can afford on two teacher salaries.

As far as the furniture goes neither one of us wants to deal with the in laws on it, but we also don’t really need/want it... lol it’s a laughable, but annoying situation to find oneself in.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Praying, bud.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 pm

My friends bought a 1930s house
Many decades ago a couple commercially bred and raised dachshunds on the property and there is a cement monument where their favorite dachshund was buried. A cement slab etched with a dachshund's profile with a pebble inset for a nose and another pebble for the eye.
The dog's name was Burgie and just under the yard's top soil is a layer of flattened rusty beer cans--- Burgie beer cans.
Explains a lot.
When they were putting in a succulent garden they dug in to the previous owner's unmarked dachshund cemetery 8-O

Old houses are sure lots of fun!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:10 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
I’m in need of some sage wisdom. I'll remark anyway. Two things.

First, my in laws bought us a dining room table and chairs as a gift (expensive) and we don’t want them... what do we do?!? I feel like a cruel trick has been played on me and I’m caught in a no win scenario. This is hilarious.

Second, I’m staring down the barrel of possibly buying a house and feeling very indecisive, like I can’t decide what I want or what makes most sense, I’m a little afraid of committing to owning a home and not being able to change my mind... This is also hilarious.

No, yer not crazy. Yer just a married guy with a kid. Everyone does it, Sparky. So can you.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:07 am

Find somebody that needs the table and chairs more than you and reluctantly pass it along to someone in need.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:51 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

Sell them on Craigslist, take your family out to dinner, and buy a pound of tobacco. If (when) the in-laws ask about where it is, just say, "You didn't hear? Termites." When they express disbelief, say, "Well, space termites."

Yeah, that happens.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:01 am

We had a kitchen/ dining table, and one Saturday morning I was sitting at it drinking coffee and looking at the newspaper while my wife was having a garage sale. Suddenly she came in from the garage followed by a couple of guys, and she says "I just sold the table". I stood up with my coffee and paper, and the guys picked up the table and walked out with it. It was as simple as that. Those were some good times. No, great times.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:52 am

I get it, bud, but it's just a table and chairs. One day you will marvel at the memories that were made around it. You will pray around it with your family. You will point out to your kids the spots where they scarred it working on school projects. And, you will have the great satisfaction of handing it down to your kids one day and putting them in the same aggravating spot you are in now. All without driving a wedge in a family relationship.

As for the house, just do the math and pray on it. A lot. After that it's kind of like getting married. You'll know when it's time.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:52 am
I get it, bud, but it's just a table and chairs. One day you will marvel at the memories that were made around it. You will pray around it with your family. You will point out to your kids the spots where they scarred it working on school projects. And, you will have the great satisfaction of handing it down to your kids one day and putting them in the same aggravating spot you are in now. All without driving a wedge in a family relationship.

As for the house, just do the math and pray on it. A lot. After that it's kind of like getting married. You'll know when it's time.
I can never argue with Jim. He is always right in what he says and how he says it. That must be very frustrating for Rita. :P
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:04 pm
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

You arent crazy. I will deal with your problems in order.

1.) You're boned. Enjoy your new dining room furniture.

2.) If you dont think you're ready, well, then you arent ready and that's a-ok. I looked at a metric sh!t-tonne of houses before we got this one. When the right house is there, you'll know. Start looking, though, Bub.
+1

I'll add this: Don't buy so much house that you can't maintain it. Better to buy cheaper or smaller and take care of it well than large or expensive one and not be able to maintain it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:52 am

+1

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Just don't buy a house from a canned beer guzzling dachshund breeder. Trust me.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:50 pm

JimVH wrote:I get it, bud, but it's just a table and chairs. One day you will marvel at the memories that were made around it. You will pray around it with your family. You will point out to your kids the spots where they scarred it working on school projects. And, you will have the great satisfaction of handing it down to your kids one day and putting them in the same aggravating spot you are in now. All without driving a wedge in a family relationship.

Can’t argue with that...

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Hovannes wrote:Just don't buy a house from a canned beer guzzling dachshund breeder. Trust me.
Bwahaha, I will keep that in mind...

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:12 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:52 pm
Hovannes wrote:Just don't buy a house from a canned beer guzzling dachshund breeder. Trust me.

Seriously, will this be your first home purchase? Write down primary things desired, eg number of rooms, etc, and of course location, then watch for the one. Look for good "bones", and don't focus on current appearance, but what the potential is, sort of what they do in that fixer upper show. Also begin shopping for loan interest rates now; don't wait til you find the house.
Two of our house purchases were fixer uppers, and three were brand new houses, and all were fun. When we first looked at one rural fixer upper with several acres that we were considering, but ended up not buying, we drove up to the house noticing the open unscreened windows, and suddenly a goat came out of the house through the window. There ended up being both goats and chickens in the house, but the structure was in good shape. The main deterrants ended up being the location, and the price they wouldn't budge on.
Anyway, good luck, and have fun.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 am

sweetandsour wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Seriously, will this be your first home purchase? Write down primary things desired, eg number of rooms, etc, and of course location, then watch for the one. Look for good "bones", and don't focus on current appearance, but what the potential is, sort of what they do in that fixer upper show. Also begin shopping for loan interest rates now; don't wait til you find the house.
Two of our house purchases were fixer uppers, and three were brand new houses, and all were fun. When we first looked at one rural fixer upper with several acres that we were considering, but ended up not buying, we drove up to the house noticing the open unscreened windows, and suddenly a goat came out of the house through the window. There ended up being both goats and chickens in the house, but the structure was in good shape. The main deterrants ended up being the location, and the price they wouldn't budge on.
Anyway, good luck, and have fun.
Yea, if I see a goat jump out of the window, I’m pretty sure that’s a deal breaker...

And yes this would be our first house, we have been renting up until now.