Heart 2 heart

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Heart 2 heart

Post by Fainn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Just needed to get a few things off my chest and I didn't know where else to post this. Obviously, if I had friends irl, I wouldn't be seeking help here. For about a year, I thought I was being led to youth ministry, but now I am not so sure. My wife and I have prayed over this and have had several serious discussions. I love the church where I interviewed and will probably join regardless of whether or not I get hired. My wife and I feel like I am more called to pulpit ministry as I am very apt to teach. I have no idea how to get started without experience. Any prayers, comments, or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

It takes a smart eye feller to say, "I feller smart".

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Re: Heart 2 heart

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 pm
Just needed to get a few things off my chest and I didn't know where else to post this. Obviously, if I had friends irl, I wouldn't be seeking help here. For about a year, I thought I was being led to youth ministry, but now I am not so sure. My wife and I have prayed over this and have had several serious discussions. I love the church where I interviewed and will probably join regardless of whether or not I get hired. My wife and I feel like I am more called to pulpit ministry as I am very apt to teach. I have no idea how to get started without experience. Any prayers, comments, or advice would greatly be appreciated.

I will pray for discernment in determining the nature of your calling and the fact that I am your friend and I exist in real life.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:31 pm
Fainn wrote:

I will pray for discernment in determining the nature of your calling and the fact that I am your friend and I exist in real life.
It's true. I've seen him, and he does.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 am

Note that teaching and pulpit ministry may not be the same. There are many situations for teaching while one may not be in a pulpit.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:13 am

Prayers your way Fainn.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am

I've been in a situation where I'd felt led very strongly to pursue a certain course, only to have that path be closed down after some good advice from a friend.

A directional change doesn't mean your passion or even calling is skewed or that you've been manipulated. Maybe it's just not time, or you'd be better in some other role that supports that kind of ministry in a different way. Sometimes going down a path you think is the right one was only a quicker way to get you on another path. Does that make sense?

Also, you've just been through a major sea change in your life. Things are bound to be a little topsy turvy. Could mean you should wait and get some sea legs before you pull the trigger anywhere.

Whatever the case, I've been there. PM me if you feel the need. I'll be praying for you.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:13 am
Prayers your way Fainn.
:prayin:
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

rgcurrey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am

Praying for discernment too.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

I've heard microwaved tobacco gets better if you wrap it in foil before you heat it up. - ryland
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm
No unsmoked pipes. Gents, any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Smoke em if you've got em.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am
Praying for discernment too.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 pm

I felt it come in a flash today after reading an ad for a children's minister position. I need to focus on a regular pastor's position, like a pastor of a small church.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:26 pm

I admire your devotion to serving the Lord and His flock. BUT - you need people around you in real life who share your vision. You can't do this alone and if you can't get a few fellow Christians on board with your plan you should reconsider the plan or at least the timing of it. I have no idea how long it's been since you were part of a healthy Christian church, but I think you need to spend some time in one and find some mentors to guide you. I suppose people have certainly been called by God to go it alone in ministry, but it's not common and I would look suspiciously on one who thinks he's been called to start something from scratch. Get involved in the life of a healthy local church and see what happens in a few months. You'll find the place to fit in if you don't go in with a predetermined ministry in mind.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:42 pm

FredS wrote:I admire your devotion to serving the Lord and His flock. BUT - you need people around you in real life who share your vision. You can't do this alone and if you can't get a few fellow Christians on board with your plan you should reconsider the plan or at least the timing of it. I have no idea how long it's been since you were part of a healthy Christian church, but I think you need to spend some time in one and find some mentors to guide you. I suppose people have certainly been called by God to go it alone in ministry, but it's not common and I would look suspiciously on one who thinks he's been called to start something from scratch. Get involved in the life of a healthy local church and see what happens in a few months. You'll find the place to fit in if you don't go in with a predetermined ministry in mind.
I've been going to a healthy church for over a month now. It will at least be August before I'm able to go to seminary and probably 3 years after that before I begin working in the field .

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:48 am

Not had a good week and no way to afford seminary. Maybe it was just a dream.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Fainn wrote:
If I had friends irl, I wouldn't be seeking help here.
If that's true you may want to get a compass that works.

JMG
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year
2018 CPS Pipe Carver of the Year

Post by JMG » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 pm

Fainn, since you have posted this in the forum I will answer you publicly. If you still struggle, to even a moderate level, with thoughts of self-harm, heavy depression, serious enduring doubts of God's character as testified about in Scripture, I would not encourage you to seek any sort of ministry position right now.
Sometimes I feel he is more like the wizard of oz because only small prayers get answered.
This is not a slam on you at all, and I hope you don't see it as such. Rather it's a concern for your well being. Ministry is hard...very hard. It's not a job that allows you to clock out at the end of the day and leave it at the office until 8 the next morning. It weighs very, very heavy on you. I could go into a lot of detail and stories of my own experiences, but my fingers don't like to type that much and, honestly, I don't like talking about a lot of it.

From what I've read from you lately, you seem to be enjoying some sweeter fellowship with our Lord and I would encourage you to rest in that for a good while before pursuing anything in a ministry capacity. Sure up your foundation, because in ministry you will bear the burdens of many, and anything less than Christ will crumble miserably.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:35 pm

JMG wrote:Fainn, since you have posted this in the forum I will answer you publicly. If you still struggle, to even a moderate level, with thoughts of self-harm, heavy depression, serious enduring doubts of God's character as testified about in Scripture, I would not encourage you to seek any sort of ministry position right now.
Sometimes I feel he is more like the wizard of oz because only small prayers get answered.
This is not a slam on you at all, and I hope you don't see it as such. Rather it's a concern for your well being. Ministry is hard...very hard. It's not a job that allows you to clock out at the end of the day and leave it at the office until 8 the next morning. It weighs very, very heavy on you. I could go into a lot of detail and stories of my own experiences, but my fingers don't like to type that much and, honestly, I don't like talking about a lot of it.

From what I've read from you lately, you seem to be enjoying some sweeter fellowship with our Lord and I would encourage you to rest in that for a good while before pursuing anything in a ministry capacity. Sure up your foundation, because in ministry you will bear the burdens of many, and anything less than Christ will crumble miserably.
I am thinking no longer pursuing that. I don't struggle with self harm.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 am

So I've been working with individuals with intellectual disabilities and they require constant supervision. I won't withdraw any applications, but I will no longer be pursuing youth and/or student ministry positions.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Fainn wrote:So I've been working with individuals with intellectual disabilities and they require constant supervision. I won't withdraw any applications, but I will no longer be pursuing youth and/or student ministry positions.
So you're ministering to people? Nice! Glad to see God answer yet another prayer for you!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fainn wrote:So I've been working with individuals with intellectual disabilities and they require constant supervision. I won't withdraw any applications, but I will no longer be pursuing youth and/or student ministry positions.
So you're ministering to people? Nice! Glad to see God answer yet another prayer for you!

Sort of. It's a secular job though.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 am

Fainn wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

Sort of. It's a secular job though.

Did Jesus minister mostly in the temple or in the world? Boom. Fainn is ministering, y'all! Congrats, Pastor Fainn.

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty