How to poink a cob

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Adam Z
Usher
Usher

How to poink a cob

Post by Adam Z » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:56 am

So... what is it? I've seen this phrase here - most notably in the CPS awards (Most likely to poink a cob). What does it mean to "poink" a cob? Is this some kind of smoking fail? And by that, I mean is it a fail in a manner different from the oft expressed opinion that any time a cob is smoked some kind of failure has occurred?

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: How to poink a cob

Post by coco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:04 am

Poink was Del's mascot for a while, intended to keep him out of the Theology Room. Some of us noticed that Poink seemed, ahem, rather effeminate. The rest of the history of the phrase is rather convoluted and vague, so I shall leave it to others to explain.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:29 am

The history is long and varied and a little muddeled but you are correct, "...that any time a cob is smoked some kind of failure has occurred"
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:47 am

Poink
Shirt colors may have been altered by someone
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:49 am

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Poinking a cob includes, but is not limited to: putting one in your mouth, smoking it, holding it with affection, cleaning it, talking positively about it, or photographing for positive reasons.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:19 pm
Poinking a cob includes, but is not limited to: putting one in your mouth, smoking it, holding it with affection, cleaning it, talking positively about it, or photographing for positive reasons.
By that definition I poink a cob at least weekly. I'm not putting aromatics in my briars.

FredS
Good enough for Trappists

Post by FredS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:26 pm
Cleon wrote:
By that definition I poink a cob at least weekly. I'm not putting aromatics in my briars.
That's poinked up. If you enjoy aromatics then why not enjoy them in a real pipe? How many briar pipes do you own and what are you saving them for?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's poinked up. If you enjoy aromatics then why not enjoy them in a real pipe? How many briar pipes do you own and what are you saving them for?
I mostly smoke nonaromatics. There are 10 briars in my small collection, but since I just started smoking a pipe 9 months ago I figure that's a decent rate of acquisition. I've tried smoking some Newminster blackberry brandy in one of my briar pipes, but I was tasting blackberry brandy in the next two bowls smoked in that pipe. Same thing happened with Cult Blood Red Moon. So I made the decision to only smoke the heavily-cased american style aromatics in cobs. FWIW, I do have a nice Peterson that I've dedicated to lakelands - they're aromatics of a sort.

I guess I could devote one of my briars to aromatics. I have had the fleeting thought of dedicating my Bones fat author (it's basically about the same size/shape as a Savinelli 320) to aromatics.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Cleon wrote:
I mostly smoke nonaromatics. There are 10 briars in my small collection, but since I just started smoking a pipe 9 months ago I figure that's a decent rate of acquisition. I've tried smoking some Newminster blackberry brandy in one of my briar pipes, but I was tasting blackberry brandy in the next two bowls smoked in that pipe. Same thing happened with Cult Blood Red Moon. So I made the decision to only smoke the heavily-cased american style aromatics in cobs. FWIW, I do have a nice Peterson that I've dedicated to lakelands - they're aromatics of a sort.

I guess I could devote one of my briars to aromatics. I have had the fleeting thought of dedicating my Bones fat author (it's basically about the same size/shape as a Savinelli 320) to aromatics.
Then you could donate the cobs to the local land fill where they belong :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:48 pm

If Del gets a Morley will Poink appear on the red carpet or stay in the limo?

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Adam Z wrote:
FredS wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I'd suggest picking up a pot style briar pipe for your aro's. I smoke a lot of aro's and smoke them in many of my pipes, but then, I have more than 10.

Also, FWIW, I almost always find the ghosting that lasts for a few bowls to be a pleasant thing that I don't go out of my way to avoid.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Adam Z
Usher
Usher

Post by Adam Z » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:08 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:59 pm
Adam Z wrote:
FredS wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I'd suggest picking up a pot style briar pipe for your aro's. I smoke a lot of aro's and smoke them in many of my pipes, but then, I have more than 10.

Also, FWIW, I almost always find the ghosting that lasts for a few bowls to be a pleasant thing that I don't go out of my way to avoid.
My bent pot Peterson 01 is the one dedicated to the lakelands. As for ghosting being pleasant or unpleasant, that just depends IMO. Some can be pleasant. When I'm smoking Hyde Park I want to taste Hyde Park - not cherry or blackberry topping from the aro last smoked. My most pleasant experience with ghosting was probably when I was smoking a bowl of Nightcap after having previously smoked Carter Hall in the same pipe. I enjoyed the faint nutty taste of CH intermingling with the Nightcap - kinda made me wonder why we don't see more latakia-burley blends.

If I ever should acquire a prince, it will likely be for aromatics. The idea of a wide but shallow bowl seems to me like it might be conducive to a good aro smoking experience.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Were you aware that there are many terrible attributes to the lowly cOB?

There are many terrible attributed to the lowly cOB I will name only a few.

First issue, taste of the burning wood stem.
Second issue, taste of burning epoxy.
Third issue, taste of the burning/charred corn bowl.
Fourth issue, cheap, crappy, uncomfortable bits that easily break.
Fifth issue, bits that become either too loose or too tight.
Sixth issue, a pipe cleaner is almost impossible to use on those crap 'pinched' bent stems.
Seventh issue, the MAJOR condensation build up on the inferior stems.
Eighth issue, the bowls are way too small.
Ninth issue, the ugliness
Tenth issue, the rust that builds up on the stem/stummel connection.
Eleventh issue, no matter how "broke-in" it is, it still imparts a burnt corn flavor.
Twelfth issue, there is plaster in the bottom of the bowl.
Issue #13.. It's a Hillbilly souvenir/toy, not a real pipe.
Issue #14, I dont care who you are, you look funny while 'smoking' a cob.

So, I got to wondering, if a cob style pipe were to be built with a Briar bowl (or clay, meer, etc.) but came with a glued in wooden stem that was set into a bed of plaster, and if this so-called pipe imparted a charred/burnt taste, and used cheap inferior bits that were either too loose or too tight, it most certainly would be deemed a joke. But hey, put a piece of dried corn cob on the end and people think its the greatest thing ever ? ???
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:If Del gets a Morley will Poink appear on the red carpet or stay in the limo?

I'm pretty sure Poink is not the kind of person to miss a Red Carpet opportunity.

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Cleon wrote:
This.

And the Poink Pirate is more ghey than Liberace open mouth kissing Elton John while "Everybody Dance Now" blairs at high volume behind the scene.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:35 pm

I thought it meant to throw a cob in anger.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

It takes a smart eye feller to say, "I feller smart".

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:02 am

Nah, Fainn. These guys use Christianity as a beard for their prurient fascination with butt sex. Everything they dont like, they condemn as gay, usually typing their condemnation with one hand only as the other hand is engaged in rigorous mortification.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:36 am

Adam Z wrote:
There are 10 briars in my small collection, but since I just started smoking a pipe 9 months ago I figure that's a decent rate of acquisition.
Decent. Decent. A good start.
But it doesn’t demonstrate serious commitment.

Are you still wasting money on food?
Rent or a mortgage?

Panhandling. A simple relocation to a cardboard box under a bridge. Dumpster diving. There are many ways to increase your acquisition rate if you’re really serious.

The only reason you need to rent or purchase a dwelling is to store your tobacco. Once the tobacco forces you out, the cardboard box, the bridge, panhandling.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:02 am
Nah, Fainn. These guys use Christianity as a beard for their prurient fascination with butt sex. Everything they dont like, they condemn as gay, usually typing their condemnation with one hand only as the other hand is engaged in rigorous mortification.
Those were the good ol' days, hugo.

Much funnier than the latest insult bandied about toward anything we don't like.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon