Benny Hill. Revisiting British Humor

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:12 pm

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1d0mh?playlist=xgqlg
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Auroraboy
Usher
Usher

Re: Benny Hill. Revisiting British Humor

Post by Auroraboy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 am

I love Benny Hill and many other British comedies, but my new current favorite is "The Royle Family"-- currently on Netflix.

It depicts a somewhat slovenly, "typical" Brit family in Manchester, lazing about drinking PG Tips, smoking ciggies, and having idle conversation in front of the telly, and somehow it's absolutely brilliant. Give it a try-- it's oddly addictive.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:48 am

The UK is full of localized accents so it should be no surprise that Hill would find it humorous in a global context.
But what is the current PC mandate in the UK?
Is it as oppressive (or more so) than ours?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 am

Auroraboy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 am
I love Benny Hill and many other British comedies, but my new current favorite is "The Royle Family"-- currently on Netflix.

It depicts a somewhat slovenly, "typical" Brit family in Manchester, lazing about drinking PG Tips, smoking ciggies, and having idle conversation in front of the telly, and somehow it's absolutely brilliant. Give it a try-- it's oddly addictive.
I checked out The Royle Family. Smashing brilliant, it is! (It helps to turn on the closed captioning, though)

Thanks for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgq5bJ0C59s
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:52 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 am
Auroraboy wrote:

I checked out The Royle Family. Smashing brilliant, it is! (It helps to turn on the closed captioning, though)

Thanks for this.

Man, you're right. Isn't that the so-called cockney accent? It's almost unintelligible.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:46 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:52 am
Del wrote:
Auroraboy wrote:

Thanks for this.

Man, you're right. Isn't that the so-called cockney accent? It's almost unintelligible.
It's not "Cockney," which is working-class London. These are working-class characters in Manchester -- but just as unintelligible to Americans.

There aren't a lot of punchline jokes, like an American sitcom. It's more in the serious way that they carry on absurd conversations. And how physical humor just sprinkles its way into the mix.

.... a girl lights her cig on an electric stove burner. Later, a woman casually offers her an ashtray from the coffee table that is so disgustingly full of butts you just have to laugh. Meanwhile the conversation never ends, moving from one aimless topic to another. All the while, they stare blankly at the TV more than they look at each other. No one dares to get up or go to the bathroom, lest he or she is buried with requests for tea or snacks or more cigs or the remote control. If anyone has to pick up the phone or answer the door, they press the surly teenage boy to movement.

It works because they are so naturally unaware that they are behaving oddly, in any way. It's like watching animals in a zoo. They just do what they do.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:46 am
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Auroraboy wrote:

Thanks for this.

It's not "Cockney," which is working-class London. These are working-class characters in Manchester -- but just as unintelligible to Americans.

There aren't a lot of punchline jokes, like an American sitcom. It's more in the serious way that they carry on absurd conversations. And how physical humor just sprinkles its way into the mix.

.... a girl lights her cig on an electric stove burner. Later, a woman casually offers her an ashtray from the coffee table that is so disgustingly full of butts you just have to laugh. Meanwhile the conversation never ends, moving from one aimless topic to another. All the while, they stare blankly at the TV more than they look at each other. No one dares to get up or go to the bathroom, lest he or she is buried with requests for tea or snacks or more cigs or the remote control. If anyone has to pick up the phone or answer the door, they press the surly teenage boy to movement.

It works because they are so naturally unaware that they are behaving oddly, in any way. It's like watching animals in a zoo. They just do what they do.
An antidote for Theology. Or Philosophy. Or some kind of ology
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Auroraboy wrote:

Thanks for this.

I like the Benny Hill type Brittish humor. At least one can make out what's being said.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Del wrote:
Auroraboy wrote:

Thanks for this.

I like the Benny Hill type Brittish humor. At least one can make out what's being said.
You'd probably enjoy GK Chesterton!

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyf97LAjjcY
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson