Camping & gear 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Camping & gear 2019

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:22 pm

I'm making a commitment to pare down all my camping gear.
No one in my extended family wants it so what needs to go will probably go to the Scouts and the homeless.
Also need to plan on future camping excursions,
The new Kelty Trail Ridge 3 from last year hasn't even made it's inaugural camp out yet!
Nothing set in cement of course until I hear from the doctors, of course
I would like one more camp out with my kids before they scatter away like young adults do, but then maybe that train has already left the station :(
What camping plans for the coming year do you have going on?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Camping & gear 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 am

We're spending more time in the back yard this year, cooking, stargazing, listening to night sounds, and enjoying refreshments. Soon we'll plan some camping trips to east Texas, to the big reservoirs like Rayburn and Toledo Bend, and take the boat to night fish for crappie.

I have lanterns, chairs, utensils. Need a new camp stove and a new tent.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:29 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 am
Need a new camp stove ...
Coleman?
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:35 am

This is perfect. I was just looking at tents this morning. The used market for tents around here is pretty active so there's no need to buy new, especially if it will only be used a few times a year. I gave my old tents to daughters #2 and 3 when I we moved last year. I'm looking at Kelty, Big Agnes, and Mountainsmith. Kelty seems to be miles ahead of the Walmart tents, but not as expensive as the other two I mentioned. Anybody have experience with these brands? I intend to base camp from the Jeep so I'm not packing or biking my gear long distances.

I bought son-in-law #1 a Coleman stove for Christmas. Academy had them for $45. Wish I'd bought one for myself.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:05 am

Over the years, we moved from canoe camping and backpacking to mostly tent camping from a Jeep to towing a little Scamp trailer behind our Jeep (we were amazed by how deeply into the backcountry we could pull that little trailer).

Last fall we finally sold the trusty old Scamp to a friend.

Looks like it will be mostly day trips from home from now on, but that ain’t bad at all considering how much beautiful country there is close by.

I particularly enjoy setting up a portable, low power radio station on a high ridge off a Jeep road somewhere nearby and “talking” on Morse code around the world while my wife and pup “play” in the woods.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:35 am
This is perfect. I was just looking at tents this morning. The used market for tents around here is pretty active so there's no need to buy new, especially if it will only be used a few times a year. I gave my old tents to daughters #2 and 3 when I we moved last year. I'm looking at Kelty, Big Agnes, and Mountainsmith. Kelty seems to be miles ahead of the Walmart tents, but not as expensive as the other two I mentioned. Anybody have experience with these brands? I intend to base camp from the Jeep so I'm not packing or biking my gear long distances.

I bought son-in-law #1 a Coleman stove for Christmas. Academy had them for $45. Wish I'd bought one for myself.
Kelty looks pretty good---I haven't used it yet but it checked all the right boxes in my pre-purchase research.
I have a Mountainsmith backpack which is very well made (if that is any indication of what goes into their tents)
I don't have anything from Big Agnes, but they are a Colorado company(Steamboat Springs, IIRC)
The big question re tents is do you want to get on your hands and knees to get in and out, or do you want to be able to stand up and change your clothes?
For car camping we got decades of use out a Montana Canvas Miner's tent I purchased second hand(new canvas/Relite tents cost a fortune 8O ) and are heavy, but for car camping they are roomy enough to wait out a rainstorm and are easy to pitch---miner's tents I find are easier and faster than domes and they handle wind and snow much better.
Just don't take one back packing!

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:36 pm

I bet Bloodhound has a Coleman stove you could buy for $45...
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm

I’ve been camping a few times over the last six months in the desert. The massive nails I need to use for stakes need replacement every time I go. I need to buy them in bulk. I definitely like to keep it simple for camping. As my Jeep gets finished I’m looking to restore a camping trailer my best friend has for future use. It has a pull out station for coolers, stoves and so on. We camp together quite a bit as is, so being able to keep the common items together had its benefits. But the trailer also has a large amount of storage space above the pull out for gear and large game storage.

My current tent is a Eureka Assault 4. It works well as a 3-4 season tent for up to three people, but I can do better. When the day comes to replace it, I’m toying with the idea of obtaining an Oz tent. In the desert Southwest, canvas has certain benefits like breathability that nylon tents don’t have really. The Oz tent is super fast to set up and take down; it has stand up room for changing cloths and a really nice large built-in awning that is nice to have in a region often devoid of natural shade.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm
I’ve been camping a few times over the last six months in the desert. The massive nails I need to use for stakes need replacement every time I go. I need to buy them in bulk. I definitely like to keep it simple for camping. As my Jeep gets finished I’m looking to restore a camping trailer my best friend has for future use. It has a pull out station for coolers, stoves and so on. We camp together quite a bit as is, so being able to keep the common items together had its benefits. But the trailer also has a large amount of storage space above the pull out for gear and large game storage.

My current tent is a Eureka Assault 4. It works well as a 3-4 season tent for up to three people, but I can do better. When the day comes to replace it, I’m toying with the idea of obtaining an Oz tent. In the desert Southwest, canvas has certain benefits like breathability that nylon tents don’t have really. The Oz tent is super fast to set up and take down; it has stand up room for changing cloths and a really nice large built-in awning that is nice to have in a region often devoid of natural shade.
Is the Ox tent emerald green? :D
Last edited by Hovannes on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm
Thunktank wrote:

Earth tone greenish. Like it should be!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

https://youtu.be/jPeLYbi5ZvM

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:35 am

Kelty looks pretty good---I haven't used it yet but it checked all the right boxes in my pre-purchase research.
I have a Mountainsmith backpack which is very well made (if that is any indication of what goes into their tents)
I don't have anything from Big Agnes, but they are a Colorado company(Steamboat Springs, IIRC)
The big question re tents is do you want to get on your hands and knees to get in and out, or do you want to be able to stand up and change your clothes?
For car camping we got decades of use out a Montana Canvas Miner's tent I purchased second hand(new canvas/Relite tents cost a fortune 8O ) and are heavy, but for car camping they are roomy enough to wait out a rainstorm and are easy to pitch---miner's tents I find are easier and faster than domes and they handle wind and snow much better.
Just don't take one back packing!
That's funny. I have a Kelty backpack and it's awesome. It's probably 15 years old and bulletproof.

I'm looking for a walk in tent tall enough to change clothes in. My crawling days are behind me. We have a small pop up (8' box) but there's a little creek I'm wanting to explore this year and I could camp next to it with a tent. There's some organized camping nearby where I could use the trailer, but I'll mostly be solo so it just seems better to be more mobile. Besides, the sound of the water lulls me to sleep faster than three whiskeys and a state of the U***n address.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:03 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:57 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

https://youtu.be/jPeLYbi5ZvM
Oh I got the reference. I’m just not quick enough for an entertaining response.

Here’s an example of an Oztent:

https://youtu.be/HMpLySEljxQ

Regardless, one of the first things my Jeep will acquire when I finally get it done, is a large canvas awning. Got to take shade with me in these deserts around here.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm

Thunktank wrote:
The massive nails I need to use for stakes need replacement every time I go. I need to buy them in bulk.
Ever consider re-bar?
Bend a short "ell" in one end for pounding in, holding the rope, and pounding back out for removal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:26 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:36 pm
I bet Bloodhound has a Coleman stove you could buy for $45...
Or 3... :oops:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:50 am

About 12 years ago I stopped at an outlet mall with my wife, she wanted to go into the Pfaltzgraff store...I went to the Coleman store. They were having a store closing sale. I bought a tent, because my current tent had been a Walmart Special and it was junky when it was new, and that was 10 years prior. So I have a Coleman tent. We at the time had a camp trailer so the tent went mostly unused, then we bought a cabin a year and a half ago...so the tent had been used for the Grand daughters back yard camping and I have used it the last 3 years for grouse hunting. I don't think I will ever need another tent.

As is well documented on the Coleman forums, I got caught up in LAD (same as PAD but with lanterns) and SAD (stoves). So I have a few "Suitcase" stoves and more than a few lanterns. The lanterns are way cool at the cabin and add to the homey old time feel. The stoves....well they are just kind of cool.

If I camp, its truck camping so I'll haul all the gear I like/want. I have 2 big sleeping bags that zip together and an air matress, so comfort...well its not the cabin, but its pretty comfortable.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:24 pm

I have given away all of my camping gear, keeping only a lantern for hurricane preparedness and a small propane space heater.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:24 pm
I have given away all of my camping gear, keeping only a lantern for hurricane preparedness and a small propane space heater.
That is generous...But I has a sad for you
Scott ( aka - Thor )

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am

I've been itching to get the backpacking gear out and dusting it off. My kids are approaching the age for hiking/backpacking. I'm considering taking my daughters on a several day backpacking trip in June. When I was backpacking often, my number one criteria for new gear was always weight. I just purchased a Grayl water bottle that I sure wish I had back in those days. I had my kit down to 28 pounds with a weeks worth of food and without water. I carried a 3L platypus and MSR Sweetwater purifier. When the water was scarce on some hikes I had to load up on water which added significant weight to my kit (and my knees.) With this Grayl filtration system, I can easily knock several pounds off in decent water conditions. As for tents, I moved to hammock camping a good long while ago and haven't looked back. I do have a Sierra Designs family tent for car camping. Before my hammock days, I was a loyal Sierra Designs tent fan. My goto was a Clip Flashlight. Great little lightweight tent. I think I still have it somewhere around here.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 am

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am
I've been itching to get the backpacking gear out and dusting it off. My kids are approaching the age for hiking/backpacking. I'm considering taking my daughters on a several day backpacking trip in June. When I was backpacking often, my number one criteria for new gear was always weight. I just purchased a Grayl water bottle that I sure wish I had back in those days. I had my kit down to 28 pounds with a weeks worth of food and without water. I carried a 3L platypus and MSR Sweetwater purifier. When the water was scarce on some hikes I had to load up on water which added significant weight to my kit (and my knees.) With this Grayl filtration system, I can easily knock several pounds off in decent water conditions. As for tents, I moved to hammock camping a good long while ago and haven't looked back. I do have a Sierra Designs family tent for car camping. Before my hammock days, I was a loyal Sierra Designs tent fan. My goto was a Clip Flashlight. Great little lightweight tent. I think I still have it somewhere around here.
By all means take your daughters back packing!
I took my daughter on a trip and we have lots of great memories.
Boys are natural dirt heads, but great camping memories made with your daughter(s) will warm your heart well into old age.
I think Claire was around 8 years old when we did the Ostrander Lake trail