Camping & gear 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Camping & gear 2019

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 pm

It's close to 100 degrees outside today so I'm hunkering down in the house with the AC on, thinking about my camping gear.
The afternoon spent in Yosemite last Tuesday has got me thinking, maybe, of going through my cooking stuff.
I donated some to the Scouts and my son has made off with some, but I should still be able to pare it down a bit more.
I also have a cute little Optimus 11 stove to play with.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 pm

My wife has been itching to go for a month or so now. We need to pick a weekend soon before it gets to hot. Our tent we bought maybe five or six years ago is a Knigdom8 from REI. The thing looks like a small aircraft hanger and has aluminum poles. I love it as it fits our family of five well and I at 6'1" can stand up in it.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:08 pm
My wife has been itching to go for a month or so now. We need to pick a weekend soon before it gets to hot. Our tent we bought maybe five or six years ago is a Knigdom8 from REI. The thing looks like a small aircraft hanger and has aluminum poles. I love it as it fits our family of five well and I at 6'1" can stand up in it.
Having a tent you can stand up in is what makes taking a tent worthwhile!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I originally had four camping outfits---one for the Super Cub I flew around Alaska(FAA mandated survival gear,) one for mule packing/hunting trips, another for car camping with my young family, and yet another for back packing. About the only camping equipment needed for the BSA Geezer Patrol was my sleeping bag and water bottle, so I didn't count that as a dedicated "kit."

While I wasn't looking, flashlights and lanterns have been replaced with led lanterns and headlamps as camping necessities.
I like headlamps, and led lanterns are sure convenient although I dislike having to carry spare batteries. OTOH it's less inconvenient than carrying spare fuel, a funnel & mantles or propane canisters.
OK for back packing I suppose.
Actually pretty dandy for back packing.
For car camping I'll take my Colemans though. I also have kerosene lanterns(one went AWOL and I must find it---the perfect size for illuminating a forestry service outhouse in the middle of the night!)

Stoves are a different deal. I dislike backpacking stoves because they really shine when it comes to cooking freeze dried food (boil water,) and
I dislike freeze dried food---I find it intolerable for car camping and not much better for back packing.
I've tried a bunch of different ones---still no joy.

Car camping allows a bigger stove than can handle a skillet and pots for boiling water for washing dishes.
I'm good with that. Old Coleman stoves rock that world. My son got the propane Coleman and the other (old beat up) Coleman is reserved for bullet casting duty. I have a Coleman 425 F and a 413 E for car camping plus a 508 single burner (how did I get this? When? Why?)

Tents---I've given the Colemans to the Scouts, leaving me with my old Miner's teepee---still very usable other than it looks gross since Relite just doesn't scrub clean like good canvas.
The Kelty Rock Ridge 3 I bought on clearance seems like a winner but I need to make a footprint for it, especially since the floor is alarmingly thin.

Cookware is in flux---my suspect son raided the stainless steel stuff. Cast Iron as all present and accounted for. I want to add a deep frying pan to the fleet(maybe the next trip to Walmart?)

I still have most all my milsurp GI utensils(a bargain in hindsight---no one makes off with spoons that have been who knows where even if you could dig a foxhole with one) I need a cutting board though as the last one was sacrificed to the campfire deity. A new cutting board for the kitchen is on my to-do list so I'll make another for the camp box as well. The Green River knives could stand to be sharpened.
That's the situation with my camping gear.
What's yours?

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

I went camping last week with son2 and two other families. We went to desert. It will be the last camping trip to the desert until at least next October. It gets too hot. But now I’m planning on a couple high country alpine trips, preferably with water that has trout. A bit of fly fishing with camping sounds like fun this summer.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Jester

Post by Jester » Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm
...camping trip to the desert....
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Jester wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm
...camping trip to the desert....
Not that desert.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle