Garden Thread - 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Garden Thread - 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Pruned crape myrtles this morning. Will prune grape vines next and extend the trellis. The vegetable garden - turned-compost-pile needs to be fertilized and turned over.
Need to fertilize the fruit trees, plum, pear and fig. Will graft the pear trees later, early spring.
I'm thinking of just planting the garden entirely in field corn, and plant tomatoes and peppers in containers this year.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Garden Thread - 2019

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:14 am

I need to move one of my raised beds to a different location. That'll be a job!
I also need to get the lopper sharpened and prune the pomegranates, and pick lemons.
Last year's San Marzanos did a number on my tomato cages so I'll likely build my own this year(how long have I been saying this?)
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:40 pm

You southerners make me jealous every time I open this thread. My garden is covered in a few inches of snow and I've spent the last two days tending two woodstoves because it's too cold to run just the fireplace in the living room.

I want to make several changes to my garden after the weed infested mud pit that was my garden last year.

-I want to start my own seeds. I'm going to build a shelf with a grow light, as I don't have windows or a combination of windows to make this possible otherwise.

-I'm going to try and burn off the weeds after I till and before I plant with one of those weed dragon torches. I'm hoping this will give my onions and carrots a head start over the weeds. Last year, I got very few of either of those because the weeds outgrew the onions and carrots. It was tough to get in and weed because of the rain.

-Landscape fabric and mulch from the start. Last year I was reactive with mulching, which made it much more work. I want to get a yard rake and mulch with grass clippings as I plant so that I get a head start on the weeds.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:09 am

venator260 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:40 pm
You southerners make me jealous every time I open this thread. My garden is covered in a few inches of snow and I've spent the last two days tending two woodstoves because it's too cold to run just the fireplace in the living room.

I want to make several changes to my garden after the weed infested mud pit that was my garden last year.

-I want to start my own seeds. I'm going to build a shelf with a grow light, as I don't have windows or a combination of windows to make this possible otherwise.

-I'm going to try and burn off the weeds after I till and before I plant with one of those weed dragon torches. I'm hoping this will give my onions and carrots a head start over the weeds. Last year, I got very few of either of those because the weeds outgrew the onions and carrots. It was tough to get in and weed because of the rain.

-Landscape fabric and mulch from the start. Last year I was reactive with mulching, which made it much more work. I want to get a yard rake and mulch with grass clippings as I plant so that I get a head start on the weeds.
Careful burning that weed.

Seriously, I have a serious time with weed control also. Mulch works well for a while, then I use weed killer like Roundup.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm

I picked up my first plant for the 2019 garden today. A San Marzano'
I've never seen them come in this early before.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:26 pm

I picked up a Golden Zucchini and an Armenian Cucumber.
On a more somber note, the Arctic Queen Nectarine appears to have deceased.
Sad.
Perhaps I planted it too close to the bunny's grave?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Everything's making leaves and blooms. I put 3 grafts on the biscamp pear tree and 2 appear to have taken. Grape Vines have been pruned.
Looks like at least one more front is on the way but temps won't get below freezing.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am

New apartment has tiny, SE balcony. I would love to grow greens. Chard, collards, etc. I suspect I’ll manage a planter or two of something.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:44 am

I’m not allowed to grow okra this year. It was a blessing and a curse. When I finally felled the plants, their stalks were the size of sapling trunks.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:44 am
I’m not allowed to grow okra this year. It was a blessing and a curse. When I finally felled the plants, their stalks were the size of sapling trunks.
The spineless kind, I hope!

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 am

I plan to plant corn and purple-hull peas today.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm

The Tangerine Cross Vine I planted a couple of years ago sure has grown, including some long dark purple seed pods, shown. The rain run-off the roof from all the many rains we've had has pumped this plant UP. Hummingbirds love the flowers but bees stay away.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm
The Tangerine Cross Vine I planted a couple of years ago sure has grown, including some long dark purple seed pods, shown. The rain run-off the roof from all the many rains we've had has pumped this plant UP. Hummingbirds love the flowers but bees stay away.

Very nice. I'll bet the hummingbirds do love those flowers.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:04 am

I trimmed the shrubs and the pines out front. Perhaps I'll do some mulching this week.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Close up of the plethora of sumptuous blooms on the Tangerine Cross Vine. Check out the backlit leaves and the veins of the leaves shown....

Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
Head of the Council of Fairies
Head of the Council of Fairies

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:04 pm

DL Jake

Feel free to use that quote in your signature. Stanley76 » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:54 pm

The beds have been weeded and mulched. The house is looking gorgeous! I just need to get some gravel for the driveway and paint the trim on the house.
My first mulch estimate would have left me with only one supurfluous bag. My second run of the numbers left me with six... I may put in a couple more beds this year. They'll keep till then.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 pm
Close up of the plethora of sumptuous blooms on the Tangerine Cross Vine. Check out the backlit leaves and the veins of the leaves shown....

Gorgeous!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 pm

The yard looks ship shape. Now we're just waiting for the plants to come up. I have hibiscus between the shrubs along the driveway, roses under the front window, and hostas mixed with lilly's along the sidewalk.
Sorry for the odd angle. I had to sensor out my open garage door. Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:51 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 pm
The yard looks ship shape. Now we're just waiting for the plants to come up. I have hibiscus between the shrubs along the driveway, roses under the front window, and hostas mixed with lilly's along the sidewalk.
Sorry for the odd angle. I had to sensor out my open garage door. Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
A man and his castle. Nice work, Joey. Looks like you have quite a large yard, which is great.