Garden Thread - 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Garden Thread - 2019

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Pruned crape myrtles this morning. Will prune grape vines next and extend the trellis. The vegetable garden - turned-compost-pile needs to be fertilized and turned over.
Need to fertilize the fruit trees, plum, pear and fig. Will graft the pear trees later, early spring.
I'm thinking of just planting the garden entirely in field corn, and plant tomatoes and peppers in containers this year.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Garden Thread - 2019

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:14 am

I need to move one of my raised beds to a different location. That'll be a job!
I also need to get the lopper sharpened and prune the pomegranates, and pick lemons.
Last year's San Marzanos did a number on my tomato cages so I'll likely build my own this year(how long have I been saying this?)
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:40 pm

You southerners make me jealous every time I open this thread. My garden is covered in a few inches of snow and I've spent the last two days tending two woodstoves because it's too cold to run just the fireplace in the living room.

I want to make several changes to my garden after the weed infested mud pit that was my garden last year.

-I want to start my own seeds. I'm going to build a shelf with a grow light, as I don't have windows or a combination of windows to make this possible otherwise.

-I'm going to try and burn off the weeds after I till and before I plant with one of those weed dragon torches. I'm hoping this will give my onions and carrots a head start over the weeds. Last year, I got very few of either of those because the weeds outgrew the onions and carrots. It was tough to get in and weed because of the rain.

-Landscape fabric and mulch from the start. Last year I was reactive with mulching, which made it much more work. I want to get a yard rake and mulch with grass clippings as I plant so that I get a head start on the weeds.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:09 am

venator260 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:40 pm
You southerners make me jealous every time I open this thread. My garden is covered in a few inches of snow and I've spent the last two days tending two woodstoves because it's too cold to run just the fireplace in the living room.

I want to make several changes to my garden after the weed infested mud pit that was my garden last year.

-I want to start my own seeds. I'm going to build a shelf with a grow light, as I don't have windows or a combination of windows to make this possible otherwise.

-I'm going to try and burn off the weeds after I till and before I plant with one of those weed dragon torches. I'm hoping this will give my onions and carrots a head start over the weeds. Last year, I got very few of either of those because the weeds outgrew the onions and carrots. It was tough to get in and weed because of the rain.

-Landscape fabric and mulch from the start. Last year I was reactive with mulching, which made it much more work. I want to get a yard rake and mulch with grass clippings as I plant so that I get a head start on the weeds.
Careful burning that weed.

Seriously, I have a serious time with weed control also. Mulch works well for a while, then I use weed killer like Roundup.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)