Garden Thread - 2019

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Garden Thread - 2019

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:16 am

The weather really hammered my plants,
Now I have two San Marzanos, one Jalapeno and one curly Italian in the bed.
It's a small garden this year!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:24 am

Every blossoming spring tree opened up in Pittsburgh somewhere between yesterday morning and today.

Our purple-leafed plum is glorious.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 pm

I planted purple Hull peas and corn last Friday. Today, the garden is full of young plants, everywhere. I must have spilled the seed.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Mrs. Joegoat started some herb seeds the other day. I'll build a raised box for her once they're ready to go outside.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:09 am
Careful burning that weed.

Seriously, I have a serious time with weed control also. Mulch works well for a while, then I use weed killer like Roundup.
Been awhile since I've been around here.

I've thus far avoided herbicides. I may break down with sweet corn this year. My corn attempts for the last two years resulted in a whole lot of weeds and no corn. I'd like to have some for the freezer. I have about a 3/4 acre field that is unused and has grown decent sweet corn in the upper part in years past. But it was sprayed.

I received my torch yesterday: Lincoln Electric KH825-01 Inferno Torch. Seems to work pretty well, but I'll have to take a bit of care so that the rubber hose doesn't get under the flame. Will probably put the propane tank on a dolly. Maybe I can get the wife to push while I burn. :lol: I can see this being quite useful for starting brush fires when I have things that need burned up.

I tilled my garden about a week ago; Going to try and plant some things tomorrow before the rain. I'm putting in a few broccoli plants and some onion sets. I also have turnip and radish seeds. I'm pretty late for those in this area, but it's been too wet to do anything in the garden until recently.

I failed on seed starting; perhaps next year.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 am

I gave the San Marzanos their Tums yesterday.
The Jalapeno already has itty-bitty peppers visible!
In one of the new low water usage (desert) planters I established in the front yard I planted a Desert Willow and an Aloe.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am

Just flooded the basin of the ailing Pindo Palm in the sidewalk median with 33 gallons of water that sat all night in a Brute barrel, off-gassing any chlorine that is in our town water supply. Added some great liquid Palm Fertilizer. It's taken years for me to even begin to bring this Palm back from the brink. It had never developed a healthy root system. Now the trunk seems pretty solid in the ground so I have high hopes.

This morning I also slow trickled 33 gallons on the Tangerine Cross Vine just outside the front entry, with the same fertilizer. I have an 8-foot length of one inch PVC I use, with 4 holes drilled into it. Works great. I waited quite a while to water the vine because of the copious amount of rainwater that came down on the vine from the roof last fall and winter. We had a lot of rain here these last 6 or 7 months and my house has no gutters. Rainwater just comes pouring down off the roof. The plant really looks like it's getting really well established in its 3rd year as the main trunk has begun to get quite thick.

Blossoms and seed pods on the gorgeous Tangerine Cross Vine after all that rain.....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:37 am

Oh, and I finally got off my duff this morning and applied double strength Round-Up to another "crop" of weeds in the yard. Also added a generous amt of surfactant which really "wets" the weeds, and makes them quite a bit darker so I can see what I've treated and what I've not. I have a low maintenance all gravel yard with 3 different types/ sizes of gravel.

Roundup is a different formulation now. Weeds no longer keel over in just a few hours as they used to.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 am

The hummingbirds are sure enjoying the blossoms on our pomegranate tree.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:16 am
one curly Italian in the bed.
Ditto.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am
Hovannes wrote:
Ditto.
I call her Sophia :thumbsup:

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 am

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am
Hovannes wrote:
Ditto.
I call her Sophia :thumbsup:
Oh thank goodness. As a curly Italian, I was kind of concerned.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:19 am

I planted tomatoes and jalapenos on Good Friday, per my usual custom. Tomato varieties include Celebrity, Red Beefsteak, and Patio.

Meanwhile, peas and corn are up and growing, and blackberry vines are covered with fruit.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:36 am

My Arctic Queen Nectarine is no more.
Strangled by the neighbor's fig tree from the other side of the fence.
The only time I'll enjoy an Arctic Queen will be if I buy one at the Farmer's Market, which is just as well.
They have way too much sugar for me! I don't need a tree full of them.

I cannot identify the species of hummingbird attracted to our pomegranate tree.
A cute little thing that chirps. I don't recollect hearing a hummingbird chirp before!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:44 am

I'll tell you what I miss most about past gardens.

I used to buy a lot of six packs of seedlings, but realistically I'd only plant three or four of each variety----I don't have the room for six tomato plants or six artichokes, and six zucchini plants would bury us (squash us?) in zucchinis.
So I'd fill up our little red wagon with the remainders of the six packs and send my children 'round the block to distribute to our neighbors, many of whom were retired.
A good lesson in sharing and people skills for the moppets and the seedlings were always appreciated plus a glorious way to spend a Saturday morning in the Spring. Warm fuzzies all 'round.

But I can't do that anymore.
No "big" gardens because of municipal water restrictions.
Our retired neighbors are all pushing up petunias.
Kids are driving so no more red wagon.

It's like a lot of joy has been sapped out of the experience.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:14 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:44 am
I'll tell you what I miss most about past gardens.

I used to buy a lot of six packs of seedlings, but realistically I'd only plant three or four of each variety----I don't have the room for six tomato plants or six artichokes, and six zucchini plants would bury us (squash us?) in zucchinis.
So I'd fill up our little red wagon with the remainders of the six packs and send my children 'round the block to distribute to our neighbors, many of whom were retired.
A good lesson in sharing and people skills for the moppets and the seedlings were always appreciated plus a glorious way to spend a Saturday morning in the Spring. Warm fuzzies all 'round.

But I can't do that anymore.
No "big" gardens because of municipal water restrictions.
Our retired neighbors are all pushing up petunias.
Kids are driving so no more red wagon.

It's like a lot of joy has been sapped out of the experience.
Yep. Well-said, and I miss the same things, Hov. This year I have a few tomatoes and peppers in containers beside the garage, and brought 5 leftover plants to my father-in-law.

Also, wrt your hummingbird, we have green-colored ones here that chatter at each other like crazy. And speaking of birds, very sadly it appears that the little white-throated nuthatch that was nesting in the small garden-side birdhouse is gone. Don't know what happened to it.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:27 pm

I just returned from picking up some meds from Costco and three rather strapping Anaheim pepper plants followed me home! :chili: :chili: :chili:
The total so far---
2x San Marzano tomatoes
1x Jalapeno pepper
1x Curly Italian pepper, Sophia
3x Anaheim peppers

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:02 pm

At Lowe's I always scope out the Diers those plants marked down because they look like they are about to die.
I've re-landscaped at least two yards with Lowe's Diers---they nearly all revive nicely by filling up a plastic kiddie pool($6 at Walmart---but cheaper on closeout in Autumn) 1/4 way full with water and B-1 and setting the plants in, pot and all.
After a week they look good as new.
Today I found a Texas Red Yucca, which should fit in nicely with my desert landscape theme in the front yard.
The Yucca was soaking wet so instead of the kiddie pool treatment, it probably needs drying out.
It was 1/2 price.
A bit more costly than the usual $1 or .50 cent price tag, but hey, it looked better than the usual.

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:38 pm

I've now got 12 broccoli plants in the ground and 3 beefsteak tomato plants (the wife's idea). She also planted some kale, lettuce, and herbs in her smaller patch.

I want to try some sauce tomatoes, but I'm not convinced that all danger of frost has passed. And some zuchinni, and green beans. My dad and I plan to plant sweet corn in my larger field, but I need to research what sort of herbicide regiment will work for that as the last two years the field grass grew faster than the corn and choked it out pretty quickly.

I also need to run the torch over my garden again. I have a pretty good covering of quickweed starting. They're only about 1/2 inch tall at this point; I'd like to kill them before they take over as they have in years past.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 05, 2019 8:41 am

A good friend dropped by, leaving me with two cactus-oids(no pokies) and another Aloe for my front yard project.